Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfguy View Post
Scrming,
You did a fantastic job on this experiment. I think we are all hoping that the dyno or track numbers show it to be a good performance mod. We already know it's a good cosmetic mod. I want to do it!

Two questions:
Do you think the aluminum tube will contribute to heating the air entering the engine more than the plastic OE part does? The metal will absorb the heat more and retain it too.
Also, do you have concerns that there is enough flex and give in the joints you constructed on the new part so that when the engine torques and the air box stays put, everything will remain connected? The OE part has that accordion joint on it.

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing your ideas with us!!
-Dave
Excellent questions!!!

The tube is actually chromed plastic... I've kind of scratched it a bit with all the test fitting, etc. Thought was if I really like this I may scuff it up and paint it... So to answer you question, no, i'm not really concerned about the heat.... Tube actually seems to stay pretty cool...

Now, your second question is one that concerned me while I was doing this... I got the tube mounted in there and thought, "OH CRAP... what happens when the motor torques over!" Because yes the motor torques AWAY from the air box... So at that point I was ready to shelf this project...

I then talked to my automotive engineer friend Scott from MRT. He said the couplers should provide enough flex. Worst case is they may give out at some point, like after 30,000 or 40,000 miles... I also went back and cut more off the 45 degree elbow. This left a bigger gap between the tube and the stock air box allowing for more flex.

One thing... while I listed the parts individually I actually bought the thing as a whole kit... The whole kit was way to long so I had like 2 or 3 left over pieces... so it is more cost effective to buy the pieces individually which is why I listed that way... HOWEVER the coupler that came with the kit is a very soft rubber coupler. This is the coupler that is joining the tube with the stock air box. So yes, it is very soft and flexible... very rubbery... but I'm thinking it might not be heavy enough... On the other had the silicone coupler I bought and am using for the throttle body connection is heavier and a lot stiffer... so i'm thinking that's a bit too stiff for the air box connection... I will see how the rubbery coupler holds up and may try a better option for this.. In the mean time I'm keeping my stock tube in my trunk! It's a 2 minute job to swap them!

So with Scott telling that if anything were to fail it would be the couplers... especially the one between the tube and the air box... Well that made me feel better and I decided to continue with the project! I had visions of ripping my throttle body off! LOL!

Also... upon closer inspection it seems our stock air box is not as sturdily mounted as I had thought! There are some rubber mounts:

I will try to get a better video show how things move...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
deljaso

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
Hey Scrming,
Have you been able to replicate the 5.63 0-60 mph time at any time after the original run?
deljaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:26 AM   #17
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Another question, at some point if your happy with the new setup, could you cut off the flex/accordion portion of the stock tube and use it instead of the rubber coupler?

Thanks.
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #18
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
I am impressed.
After watching the vid all I can say is " ITS ALIVE...ITS ALIVE!" You know, out of the Frankenstein movie.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #19
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

I have not tried another 0-60 run... To be honest I don't like doing it even on the very empty back roads of nothern michigan... I prefer to do that kind of testing at the track!

Like last Saturday!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43371

So in my mind the IAT relocation made a dramatic difference... I can see in the data logs the car is running 4 or 5 degrees more timing...

Also... i don't think I'll cut up my stock tube... more than likely I would simply hit a junk yard... or do some more online searching...

Better video to come... I simply just set the camera on the finder... LOL Need to dig out the old tripod!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #20
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Ok... did some poking around... I actually purchased the spectre 8208 KIT... but it had a two extra pieces that you don't need... so I thought it would be more cost effective to buy the part individually... HOWEVER one thing... the 8208 kit includes a RUBBER coupler vs the much stiffer coupler that I bought... I believe the rubber coupler is much better for the tube/air box connection...

here's the kit I bought:

http://www.streetsideauto.com/produc...GoogleShopping

so with the 8208 all you need to buy is a 90 degree elbow and silicone coupler for the throttle body and a piece of hose...

Hope all this isn't to confusing...
Old 09-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #21
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Ok... so I made a better video today.... Remember dig out those head phones! LOL!

Old 09-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #22
noisemker

Drives: RY 2LT/RS
do u think this will put up as many hp's as a the CAI's out there

Airaid Intake And Solo CatBack Solo Highflow Cats
noisemker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #23
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisemker View Post
do u think this will put up as many hp's as a the CAI's out there
No idea... LOL!

Car goes on the dyno tomorrow... won't be a scientific test because my "before" run is from earlier this summer... SAE correction should help make it a reasonable comparison with my previous dyno pulls... It's a Dyno Day so my pulls will be limited... If it was a regular dyno session I would to a better before and after...

Now I will say the IAT relocation definitely gained some HP.... It shaved at least .2 and maybe as much as .3 off my 1/4 mile time! So coupled with the new tube... yeah, i am hoping to see some descent gains tomorrow...

So it's about $30 to do the IAT relocation. $60 or so for the tube... I tossed in a K&N filter for fun... so $50 that... so far I've got about $150 into this little experiment...
Old 09-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #24
katman

Drives: 2LT Auto RS sunroof
I can't wait to hear how you do on the dyno tomorrow!
katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #25
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Dyno DAY!
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #26
BigBOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS, 6M, IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Dyno DAY!
BigBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #27
Venom40k
No... not the SS...

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS *Red*
Scrming u da man!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #28
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Scrming so from our earlier brief convo you didn't know what the IAT move would do to mpg but it seems not to worsened but maybe become better - is that right?
devildoc is offline   Reply With Quote