Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-03-2018, 01:03 AM   #1
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
Burning oil smell?

Not sure if I have a serious issue at bay or not. Every once in a while when driving I get a whiff of burning oil. Doesn’t happen all the time. Crawled around and can’t figure out where it’s coming from. Can’t smell anything from exhaust. Looks like one of the valve covers could be seeping a bit so not sure if that’s the source or not.

Another oddity is it started surging while driving and when shifting into overdrive it stutters sometimes. I swapped the BBK 95mm throttle body with my Denali’s stock ported one and the surging and shifting issue seems to have stopped. Thinking I may just be paranoid and I have a bad BBK unit/or needs a better tune and I just need to replace valve cover seals. What do you all think?
Old 06-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
If you have oil seeping from a valve cover gasket, then obviously could be oil burning on your headers. As far as the surging goes, could be any of several issues. I personally don't care too much for BBK products, and have read quite a bit of negative press on their TB's. Not sure how long you had yours, but if it worked well for a while, try cleaning the intake and MAF sensor. Swapping the intake from your Denali sounds troublesome. What size is the TB off one, and what size was the motor? Your sig shows you're tuned for the mods you have, so adding and subtracting stuff could get problematic..... Start with the easiest solutions first before you start throwing $$$ at it.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
There is a very well known issue with oil smell on these cars. Search it on Google, you will see tons of threads.

But, its not a burning oil smell, it is a hot oil smell. I get it sometimes too and am 99% certain I am slinging tons of oil into my intake manifold. I have no catch can.

Are you sure its a burning smell like oil on headers type of smell? Or is it more like hot motor oil like when you smell your dipstick (we all do, right?).
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:10 AM   #4
Ponchonutty

Old dude, my Denali has the 6.2 LS motor too. I already swapped them and surging went away.

InFi, yeah I guess more of a hot oil smell but don’t smell it all the time. The thing is that I never noticed it until this year. I too do not have a catch can either.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #5
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
That would be all the convincing I'd need to go ahead with a cam swap. You know... just to make sure everything is buttoned up tight and not leaking.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:15 AM   #6
Ponchonutty

J Rod ohh how I’d love to do it but with 2 kids in college, $3500 isn’t all that easy to come by. Hell, I’m lucky to still even own this thing and my wife is over due for a new rode as well!!!!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:11 PM   #7
dookie454

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
regarding the hot oil/burning oil, I was one that only smelled it after an oil change for the first 100-200 miles then it was gone. I did add a catch can, still was there. Added a Whipple, still there.

Then I removed the stock manifolds and cats, installed long tubes and straight pipes. NO oil smell ever! My theory was always that somehow oil is getting dripped and collecting somwhere, like the little cross tube or something under the engine.. and the hot exhaust is burning it off. The cats on these cars are up high and tight and we all know they get real hot. I think that is the source.. hot cats, oild trapped somewhere from oil change. Sitting in idle traffic is when I would smell it.. little air flow, any oil trapped is getting hot finally.. delete the cats and now no excess heat, no oil smell.

The other source or oil could be when filling.. if some gets dripped or like you said, you valve cover is leaking.. those hot cats, the hot air goes straight up.. could be burning it off.
dookie454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:00 AM   #8
Ponchonutty

Well I had factory manifolds last year and didn’t notice anything. This year I have stainless shorties and solo cats and smell it after laying on the pedal a bit
Old 06-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I smell it on mine, too. LT Headers, catch can, whatever else. Still smell it. Always have. I just blame it on the car being a muscle car.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #10
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
i smell it occasionally myself but last night i discovered a very tiny leak coming from my oil cooler which i think is the culprit. i'm hoping this is where my oil loss is coming from (.5 qrts over 4k miles)
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #11
P1100

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I have a slight smell while idling at a stop light, only happens for about 500 miles after an oil change. I use Mobile 1.

My 2010 Corvette did the same thing, also running Mobile 1. dealer said it’s normal. Lots of threads on that issue.

I didn’t notice it when running dealer semi-synthetic. Would rather put up with the smell then run semi-synthetic.
P1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #12
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
As said before I would checkout the oil cooler, and the oil pan gasket for leaks. Both of which are fairly common and can drip just enough not to hit the ground as your driving and get the cats.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote