Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 05-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Rock Chalk

Drives: '12 2SS Convertible
Jack and Jack Stands

Hey guys and gals....I'm looking to paint my calipers this weekend and was looking for some advice on jacking up the car and spots to place the jack stands. Anyone willing to share some ideas and help out a rookie with their experiences?

Thanks,
Steve
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
DaFisch
Master Amateur Mechanic

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=33938&page=3 3'rd post
DaFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFisch View Post
great thanks!...since that's from 2010 and i'll be working on a '12 is there any differences to contend with?

and on the front, with a floor jack, hit that one spot and it'll all come up?

Thanks,
steve
Old 05-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
DaFisch
Master Amateur Mechanic

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
It should be the same. Under the rockers you'll find two semi rectangles cut out, put the floor jack there, and the actual jack stands on the circular looking things on the actual frame, reference the pictures for those as well. The first picture shows where to jack it up, second where to place jackstands. If it is your first time it may take a minute or two to realize what you are looking for, but it something that will always stay in your memory.
DaFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
on the front, with a floor jack, hit that one spot and it'll all come up?

Thanks,
steve
Yes. Just did it two days ago to rotate my tires/wheels. Be sure to put your jack stands under there too though and let them carry the weight... just to be safe. Don't forget to chock the wheels on the opposite end of the car.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Who sells those "pucks" for lifting Camaros?
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
great thanks!...since that's from 2010 and i'll be working on a '12 is there any differences to contend with?

and on the front, with a floor jack, hit that one spot and it'll all come up?

Thanks,
steve
Two items to note:

1) A low profile floor jack may still catch the air dam attached under the front fascia. If your car is lowered this is even more likely. Solution: set a couple 2x4 or 2x6 blocks directly in front of the front tires and ease the car up onto those blocks before rolling the jack into place. Lowering the car will not generally be an issue as the suspension will not adjust back down immediately when lowered but will adjust when the car is moved (may need the blocks again as you lower the car if your car has lowering springs)

2) On convertibles, there is additional cross bracing at the floor jack points indicated in picture 3 (referenced above). Solution: I use a 10-12" 2x4 set on the floor jack and positioned side to side across the braces to make certain that the floor jack doesn't bend the edges of the brace (and more importantly, so the jack has more surface and less of a chance to slip - the brace will "bite" into the wood just a bit as will the jack).

Additional note: I have seen comments that some folks use the scissor jack location for lifting the rear of the car using a floor jack. They use a hockey puck as a pad with a heavy screw eye drilled into the center of the puck. The screw eye fits up into the slot for the scissor jack location, a quarter turn locks it into place and the puck pads the floor jack from hitting the rocker panel. I have not tried this method, but know that there are additional braces on the verts at the back that make lifting the rear more of a challenge than the coupes.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
Who sells those "pucks" for lifting Camaros?
I think you are referencing this item?:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324269
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnyaTek View Post
2) On convertibles, there is additional cross bracing at the floor jack points indicated in picture 3 (referenced above). Solution: I use a 10-12" 2x4 set on the floor jack and positioned side to side across the braces to make certain that the floor jack doesn't bend the edges of the brace (and more importantly, so the jack has more surface and less of a chance to slip - the brace will "bite" into the wood just a bit as will the jack).

ok, good to know...i'm dealing with a convertible, so will take this into consideration...though i'm not followign 100% what you're getting at, once I get under to look, it'll probably make more sense.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnyaTek View Post
I think you are referencing this item?:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324269
That's it. Thanks!
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote