Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
cdbergeron

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT with RS package
Smile My car alarm keeps going off for no reason...Help!

My car alarm seems to have a mind of it's own. It goes off for what I can, no apparent reason. Sitting in my driveway at home, it will go off. No one around, no wind, no animals, nothing touching it or near it. I've experienced it where it happens, I turn it off and no sooner do I turn around, it happens again...that's how I know nothing has been near it to trigger it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Since I'm here, I am also having an issue with my rear turn signals and brake lights...I've blown 2 of each in the last 60 days. I'm sure I'm buying the correct bulbs and installing them properly....electrical issue???? Let me know what you think.

Any recommendations would be so greatly appreciated.

Carol
cdbergeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Sorry, haven't experienced anything like what you're describing; but it sounds like something may be shorting out somewhere. Electrical problems can be a real pain to track down and isolate, especially if they are effecting multiple systems (alarm & light issues may or may not be related to the same problem). You may need to take it in to find the problem ... good luck & I hope it turns out to be something relatively easy to find & fix.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
The 2 may or may not be related...are you using keyfob to remote lock? If so, try using only the key to lock. I had exact same prob and this was suggested to me and worked...now for the why's and how to fix...not a clue..tried new bat in fob...so just been doin this and NO FREAKIN ALARMS...EVER...the 2ams are sh!t...
Old 09-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Are you keeping the fob in your pocket? I've activated my alarm because I had the fob in my pocket and was bending down or some other movement that caused one or more of the buttons to get pushed. I've locked it, unlocked it, popped the trunk, set off the panic alarm all because I had the fob in my pocket.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
TangoMike

Drives: 2012 2ls RS V6 Auto
If you keep the fob in your pocket, stop. I did that with a previous vehicle when I got remote start. I'd come out from work and ,y car would be running, or trunk open.

As for the lights. I had the same issue with a previous car (same one as above.) After my 3rd in a month I had them put a light in while doing an oil change. I mentioned to the guy that it was my 3rd bulb and he went anfpd checked it out. The connections on the old one looked burned, and that's where the failure was. The element inside the bulb was fine. He said it was either a loose...socket? Port? Plug? Whatever the bulb goes in. Or it was a cheap bulb. He put it a good one and never had a problem with it again.

I just bought the cheapest bulb I found that was the right size. Don't do that. Try a decent brand. It seemed one of those "you get what you pay for" things.
TangoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
I leave the fob in the center console and have placed a magnetic key holder with a spare under the car...just lock the door with the key..
Old 09-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
It's possessed.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #8
Neoclasiccl

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS L99
Could be a faulty door switch simulating a break in
Neoclasiccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:51 PM   #9
cdbergeron

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT with RS package
Thanks for all of the input. I do not keep in my pocket, sometimes in my purse when I'm out somewhere. But this happens when it's sitting on my counter in my kitchen at home. I'll consider all of the suggestions and let you know how it turns out.
cdbergeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #10
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
The 2 may or may not be related...are you using keyfob to remote lock? If so, try using only the key to lock. I had exact same prob and this was suggested to me and worked...now for the why's and how to fix...not a clue..tried new bat in fob...so just been doin this and NO FREAKIN ALARMS...EVER...the 2ams are sh!t...
You don't need to use the key, just press the button on the top of the driver's door down. That will lock both doors, just as the key does.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:23 AM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
You don't need to use the key, just press the button on the top of the driver's door down. That will lock both doors, just as the key does.
That depends on your Configuration settings. I have mine set so I can NOT lock my doors that way... must use fob. That way I know I won't be accidentally locking my keys inside the cabin.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:23 AM   #12
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
I had the same issue on my Pontiac G8 GT, we traced it back to the hood latch under the hood. The latch somehiw went bad causing the alarm to go off at random times.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:54 AM   #13
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
That depends on your Configuration settings. I have mine set so I can NOT lock my doors that way... must use fob. That way I know I won't be accidentally locking my keys inside the cabin.
If a key is in the ignition I have to argue with it. Even another remote won't lock/unlock it. Stupid.

I have a recall key in my pocket all the time.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #14
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Did you name your Camaro "Christine"?
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote