Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-24-2018, 11:09 PM   #29
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
I test drove a ZL1 yesterday. I always wanted to hear the ZL1 SC whine. Ever since the movie MAD MAX (I know, I know. the supercharger spins with the crankshaft and that wasn't close to being real) I wanted to own a supercharged car. Add to that all the ZL1 videos I've seen where you can hear the whine, loud and clear...I was disappointed a little bit.

Granted, I wasn't beating on the car because I was on a public road and I was not familiar with how the car responds to the throttle, I was able to get a few spirited accelerations in and I didn't hear the SC at all. I suspect that the cars in the videos had some sort of modifications to enhance the sound but I wasn't expecting the car to sound like there was no supercharger. I probably didn't get on it hard enough either.

I ultimately passed on the ZL1. After the test ride, I told my wife (not knowing how quite the car is) I didn't want to buy it because "it didn't feel special enough". It felt like the SS I drove several weeks earlier. Maybe, if I had known how quiet it really was or if I had heard the SC more, I would have decided differently.

Don't get me wrong, that is just one obscene car. I still love the ZL1 and one day I hope to own one. But for now, the SS will have to do.

After driving the SS and the ZL1, the only thing that made me go "WOW" on both test drives was the exhaust on startup. Man, the cars are beautifully loud!!

Oh and this ZL1 had the MGW shifter. It's shifting was 100% better than the first Camaro I drove. This shifter was smoother and had a less notchy feeling to it. The OEM shifter feels like crap. This is going to be my first mod.

Seriously, you couldn't tell the diff between a car with 200 more hp, and complete different suspension and drivetrain.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:41 AM   #30
AJensen383

Drives: 2014-ZL1-M6-CRT, 68 camaro SS 496
Quote:
I test drove a ZL1 yesterday. I always wanted to hear the ZL1 SC whine. Ever since the movie MAD MAX (I know, I know. the supercharger spins with the crankshaft and that wasn't close to being real) I wanted to own a supercharged car. Add to that all the ZL1 videos I've seen where you can hear the whine, loud and clear...I was disappointed a little bit.

Granted, I wasn't beating on the car because I was on a public road and I was not familiar with how the car responds to the throttle, I was able to get a few spirited accelerations in and I didn't hear the SC at all. I suspect that the cars in the videos had some sort of modifications to enhance the sound but I wasn't expecting the car to sound like there was no supercharger. I probably didn't get on it hard enough either.

I ultimately passed on the ZL1. After the test ride, I told my wife (not knowing how quite the car is) I didn't want to buy it because "it didn't feel special enough". It felt like the SS I drove several weeks earlier. Maybe, if I had known how quiet it really was or if I had heard the SC more, I would have decided differently.

Don't get me wrong, that is just one obscene car. I still love the ZL1 and one day I hope to own one. But for now, the SS will have to do.

After driving the SS and the ZL1, the only thing that made me go "WOW" on both test drives was the exhaust on startup. Man, the cars are beautifully loud!!

Oh and this ZL1 had the MGW shifter. It's shifting was 100% better than the first Camaro I drove. This shifter was smoother and had a less notchy feeling to it. The OEM shifter feels like crap. This is going to be my first mod.

Are you sure you drove a ZL1 and not a 1LE??... There is a HUGE difference in driving a SS and ZL1.. Ive driven all 3 ( SS 1LE and ZL1) and
the ZL1 is just a totally different car. The SS and 1LE I could see as being a similar driving experience. I didn't find a lot of difference between the two.
2014- Crystal Red-ZL1 #1601, M6, Recaro, sunroof, Nav-stock-SOLD
1968 Camaro SS Clone- 496 BBC, Legend 5speed, 12 bolt
1970 Nova SS- 383 SBC 588hp, 200-4r, 12 bolt

AJensen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:13 AM   #31
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Obviously trolling. OP revives a 6 year old thread, and then states the only appreciable difference between a ZL1 and SS is exhaust at startup. Hah.

People like this should be disallowed from owning high performance vehicles.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:13 AM   #32
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Seriously, you couldn't tell the diff between a car with 200 more hp, and complete different suspension and drivetrain.

Depends to some degree on ones experience. Coming from bikes, I didn't initially appreciate what this car is capable of. But when the yellow sign with the curved arrow says 30mph and I accelerate with confidence, it becomes clear. I want to drive it the way I ride. That's pretty special!
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:16 AM   #33
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutale arancia View Post
Depends to some degree on ones experience. Coming from bikes, I didn't initially appreciate what this car is capable of. But when the yellow sign with the curved arrow says 30mph and I accelerate with confidence, it becomes clear. I want to drive it the way I ride. That's pretty special!
OP didn't state he was coming from a bike. While we're at it: let us now compare a ZL1 to a Huracan, or better yet, an R1, better still: a rocket!

I say only a troll cannot differentiate between a ZL1 and an SS.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #34
Silver SS

Drives: 2013 Camaro Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Sounds to me like he didn't pay attention to anything else about the car except for the fact that it doesn't have a very loud supercharger whine when stock.
Silver SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #35
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver SS View Post
Sounds to me like he didn't pay attention to anything else about the car except for the fact that it doesn't have a very loud supercharger whine when stock.
Hah. That is the thread title (that he chose to reopen after 6 years).
Old 05-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #36
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Obviously trolling. OP revives a 6 year old thread, and then states the only appreciable difference between a ZL1 and SS is exhaust at startup. Hah.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #37
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I'd say it all depends on how hard he pushed the loud pedal.

These things can be as tame as can be, or you can wake the beast up

Push the pedal to the floor and take it north of 3k rpm and see if it feels like a regular Camaro.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #38
Red Hot ZL1

Drives: 2014 Red Hot ZL1 Vert. M6.
Here's his photo...
Attached Images

Red Hot ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #39
BeachBum

Drives: 2012 (ZL-1) #468
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
manymanymany discussions about the whine.....we listened to many other supercharged cars - some are annoying - some are nearly silent.

The ZL1 whine isn't annoying - you'll hear it under certain conditions - and i think most will be happy with it.

.......and oh that wonderful exhaust .......
Scott - Glad To See You Post On Here - Lot Of People Saying Prayers For You And Hoping All Is Well - 2012/#468 Was Tickled To See Your Post
Old 01-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #40
@ReaperZL1

Drives: 2013 camaro zl1 aka the Reaper
you can definitley hear the supercharger whine in the cabin. i have longtubes, no cats, and corsa exhaust, i still hear it. normal daily driving no but the moment i drop a gear and decide to have some fun i hear her. i believe i have a ton of videos of it on my instagram, just typer "ReaperZL1" in the search bar and it should be the first one. have a few different camera mounted positions of the SC whine.
@ReaperZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #41
skidu1

Drives: 2015 ZL1
ZL1 CAI

Just installed my CAI and love it!

Last edited by skidu1; 01-19-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Picture didn’t upload
skidu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #42
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:

This looks more like the MadMax special car you were seeking:
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote