Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Blacklite

Drives: Black on black 2SS RS
Anyone own a Jeep Wrangler?

My parents are considering getting my lil bro this car for his first. They asked for my opinion, but sadly, I don't know much about Jeeps lol. So I thought I'd ask you guys. Could anyone with a Jeep out there give your ideas and opinons?

Things Im looking for:
Reliability
Handling (on road. I dont think at 17, he will be doing much off roading, other than snow and whatnot, and with me).
Other things to consider in a first car.
Blacklite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
nick at night

Drives: 2003 silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklite View Post
My parents are considering getting my lil bro this car for his first. They asked for my opinion, but sadly, I don't know much about Jeeps lol. So I thought I'd ask you guys. Could anyone with a Jeep out there give your ideas and opinons?

Things Im looking for:
Reliability
Handling (on road. I dont think at 17, he will be doing much off roading, other than snow and whatnot, and with me).
Other things to consider in a first car.
I had a Cherokee with the straight 6 and that thing was damn near bullet proof. And road handling..... What road handling???

Overall there not bad cars but you have to be careful driving one as they have a very high center of gravity.

And a first car can be anything. Depends on what the intended purpose is.

A good used Honda is usually a good bet
nick at night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Handling is not the strong point of any Jeep. As for reliability, my brother has an 86 CJ as a summer vehicle and its ... tempermental, to say the least. But I'm sure Jeeps much more reliable today.

In general, they have their faults but most owners contend that simply gives them character. Sure, they're slow, as aerodynamic as a brick, suck gas, handle like a ... well, a Jeep, and tend to lack basic features like power windows. But despite all that (and so many other things) very few owners complain about them. They buy them knowing what they're getting into and usually don't care. If he wants a Wrangler, and understands its short comings, I'm sure it will be a great vehicle for him.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
I've heard good feedbacks about the jeep.

just get your brother a Camaro!!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Dowgg123

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
I had a 99' wrangler before the Camaro. They are really fun vehicles, It would be the car i go back to if I ever didn't have the Camaro. He's gonna have to give up the some luxuries because older models didn't always come with A/c, just heating.
I had the Wrangler for about a year and a half and never had any problems with it so it was quite reliable.
As for handling, Wranglers are notorious to flipping, but so long as he takes the corners as they were meant to be driven, then it'll be just fine.
Like I said, I LOVED my wrangler, but it is an aquired taste.
Dowgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
FFPM73
Firefighter/Paramedic

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS M6 LS-3
I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport with the 4.0 inline 6. I lifted it 4 inches and put on 15x8 Micket Thompson Classic II aluminum wheels with BFG Mud Terrain 33x12.50 tires. It has a front bumper winch and I do use it on/off road. It is my daily driver while my Camaro sits in the heated garage during the winter months. My Jeep had 130,000 miles on it and I haven't had any major issues with it. In fact it is damn near impossible to kill those 4.0 liter engines. They are very reliable, easy to work on, and not too mention awesome when the top is off. I would definatley recommend it for a safe daily driver.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS, A8, Sunroof
They are good vehicles for a teen IMO. And they are easy to work on...Easy to customize to make his own too...

'16 2SS, A8, Sunroof, non-NPP
"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
JKLNHYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
The great thing about a Jeep is that it doesn't have to be a 1/4 mile burner or take 1g corners or get 100mpg. It is a JEEP, enough said.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
jonpro2000
Lethal Smoke

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I'm 17 and had a 05 wrangler for about a year and it's a good car. Handling isn't all so great or power lol but other then that I liked it a lot. Now I'm driving a 2011 Camaro SS and have to say it's a lot better than a jeep anyday
jonpro2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #10
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Ours
Attached Images

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 AM   #11
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
my last three vehicles were jeep wranglers. sold my 02' for the camaro. if i ever change vehicles again, i'll probably go back to the wrangler...but, i doubt that's gonna happen.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
3CamarosOnHand

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM
We have had many Jeeps over the years and they have been reliable vehicles. We had a Wrangler for many years and the only thing I'll say is it is not the best in snow unless you have it in 4 high. We found better luck with Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. The Wrangler is a lot of fun with various tops, etc. though.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
My 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Name:  MyJeep2.jpg
Views: 3282
Size:  60.4 KB

30x9 Bridgestone Revo A/T Duellers Tires
Rock Rails (for idiots that swing their car doors open)
Bush Guard (for idiots that back into Jeep when in reverse/parking)
Tail Lamp Guards for rear tail light protection

He has 15,600 miles and probably the best 4x4 vehicle I've ever owned,I had Ford Bronco XLT II back in the late 80's when I was in the Army.

Nothing but headaches with that thing.

I've added more stickers on the back window...it's addictive......
Attached Images

Last edited by Lauryn200; 01-18-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
DO NOT GET A JEEP. REPEAT. DO NOT GET A JEEP.

They get in your blood and you cannot live without them. They are a perfect car for almost any situation. Want to hit the beach on a nice sunny day - take the top off and go! Skiing with your buds in the winter? Hardtop it and go! Got mud on your shoes? Throw the carpet on the ground and hose it off. Need to haul something long home for dad? Strap the lumber/ladder/tree to the roll bar and go!

The inline 6 is key to enjoyment though. That 4.0 HO is a great motor. Try killing one.

The newer V6 and the Chrysler components can be a bit finicky...sensors and what not...but honestly, they are totally a ball to own. I am considering yet another one...a 4door this time. They just work great for an all around utility vehicle.