Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
MR. FBDY
FBDY or no Body

Drives: 2010 CGM ZL1 clone/13 Silverado HD
Ground effects install, who has done it themselves?

Has anyone installed their own ground effects on their camaro? My set just came in and I was looking for some advice on the "how to" install. The kit is away getting painted right now, but I would like some knowledge before attempting to do it.

Anyone have any advice?
MR. FBDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
If you have the Installation Instruction and have a buddy that can help you, I would highly recommend doing it yourself so you know it is done right. You void the warranty by painting the GFX anyway. But if dealer installs it, any installation issues would be covered by the dealer and you can keep going back til they do it right.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
MR. FBDY
FBDY or no Body

I prefer to work on my car myself so I know it is done right. I have patience and time, so that is no problem. Just wondering if someone has any DIY advice that the instructions don't explain.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Lucky SOB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You have to remove the front fascia. I would let the dealer do it. If you break something you're effed.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I was told, by the dealer who installed them, the warranty is on the finish since it's painted. They made me sign a waiver stating anything that happens to the paint was not their responsibility and not covered by warranty. I was told it was a 5-6 hour job and they charged me $500 - said GM pays the dealers $420 to install each GFX set.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
MR. FBDY
FBDY or no Body

I appreciate the advice on bringing it to the dealer, but I plan to do it myself to save $500. Really, how hard can it be?? I dont really want to trust the dealer with my car and installing the GFX, especially since I heard of a few that have come off while driving. I have tackled hard jobs before and not scared to do it, just looking for some advice if someone HAS installed them.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. FBDY View Post
I appreciate the advice on bringing it to the dealer, but I plan to do it myself to save $500. Really, how hard can it be?? I dont really want to trust the dealer with my car and installing the GFX, especially since I heard of a few that have come off while driving. I have tackled hard jobs before and not scared to do it, just looking for some advice if someone HAS installed them.
Trust me, you would be doing a better job doing it yourself since there will be no time and hourly $$ issue involved and you can install everything per the instructions to the letter.

I read the installation instructions, specifically the front piece installation to understand why there has been too many dealer failures and I bet in my assumption, similar to others', that some dealers bypassed the important and LAST step that require removal of the front fascia to install the front rivets from behind the front piece. Based on the illustrations, removal of the front fascia doesn't look like a difficult task at all.

Before you tackle this job, be sure to check with your dealer regarding the recent memo concerning the proper wipe down solution to use on the areas on which the tape will be applied. The top corners of the rear piece on mine, just behind the rear tires, started to pull away. Dealer fixed it recently with guidance from the memo on what to use, etc. The problem is, that particular area, the top edge has a natural tendency to pull away and there isn't enough flat surface on the back to mate with the surface of the bumper. So, while the 3m tape on there is 3/4" wide, only a small part of it is actually in contact.

Be sure to let the 3m tape cure for 24 hours.

Good luck and I hope you find this helpful.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
fcu678
5Th Gen (Craig)

Drives: 2014 C7
I had the dealer install mine it was the first one they did and there were no issues what so ever. The front facia was a little off from the factory and the dealer was able to adjust it perfect. I know the bodyman that did the work and he knows I'm a perfectionist.

If money isn't an issue I recommend letting the dealer install it along with the liability that goes along with it. If they screw it up they fix it if you screw it up you just lost $$$. JMO
fcu678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
2032Ceta

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2009 Nissan Rogue
Do it yourself. Take your time and understand all the steps prior to getting started. I wish I would have done mine. My install with the dealership was a complete nightmare. It took them nine days and they messed up big time. I have a complaint against them with the BBB. That service department is staffed by a bunch of idiots.
2032Ceta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
Brown5150
#17,149

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
My Dealer is installing my 2nd front spoiler,because they are retarded and didn't do it right the first time. Get this the 2nd spoiler was installed and it pulled away before I could pick it up. It's still there 1 week and counting.