Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
trickortreat

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black, IOI
Tire Question

Question about the stock summer tires. I've read numerous threads about the tires and rocks jumping around all over the place. My question is what causes this? Is it cause the tires are new, the rubber super sticky, a combination of both or something else? PS, I notice when I dry in the rain, the tires pick up rocks a lot more.

The reason I ask is I'd like to replace my tires with a set that doesn't throw rocks/sand everywhere. I've found all season tires but I don't want to purchase them if they will do the same thing. I've had new tires before, but never ones that picks up rocks as much as these.

What should I look for when purchasing new tires that will cut down on rock chucking?

Thanks.
trickortreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Summer / Performance tires are a softer rubber compound. This usually means a stickier compound as well. When comparing tires, look for "Treadwear Ratings". The higher the number, the harder the tire. Soft street tires are in the 200 treadwear rating range.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
trickortreat

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black, IOI
Thanks for the help. The rock chucking is driving me crazy. I have the splash guards but am reluctant to put them on. Less sticky tires seems like the most logical solution.

The OEM tires are 220 AA A. If I purchase a set which is 540 A A, they should be more than half as "sticky" (trearwear wise) as my current tires. Traction is less (AA to A) and the temperature grade should be the same.

I bought the car in November. I've had a few warm days and the rock chucking was pretty bad. It's been cold this winter and it still rock chucks until the tires are warm and even then, it still does it from time to time.

I'm not sure why anyone would want the summer tires unless they are racing with them. On city streets, the rock chucking is inescapable. I hope it warms up soon so I can get a better handle on how the tires perform in warm weather.
trickortreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
You guys must have dirty highways or a lot of asphalt roads. No rock throwing issues down here in Houston, unless driving on new asphalt. I'd also recommend doing some 3M clear bra protection on the areas being affected. Looks much better than mudflaps
Old 02-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
67MellowYellow

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM M6
I hear ya. I have a 300' gravel driveway and I have to creep out in the morning to reduce flinging gravel the tires pickup. I'm pretty sure going to high performance all season tires will help as I didn't notice this problem with my previous C5 Corvette that had the same tread width. On that car I was running Pirelli P-Zero Nero all seasons. I will be switching to Continental ExtremeContact DWS as an all season replacement for the Camaro before next winter. That said, there is still going to be a problem of kicking up rocks down the side of the car and hitting the side gills. It is just a result of the design of the car with the wide side flares. GM mud guards or clear protective coatings on the side protrusions may still be needed if you don't want to see a bunch of rock chips in a couple of years.
67MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote