Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-26-2018, 07:55 AM   #15
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Sounds like the dealer is working with you on this, which is better than a lot of stories we read hear. I'd say calm down a bit, and see what happens in the next 1200 miles. You may end up with a new engine. These aren't perfect cars, and sometimes you get a one that was built late on a Friday...
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #16
CamiLFX

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Sounds like the dealer is working with you on this, which is better than a lot of stories we read hear. I'd say calm down a bit, and see what happens in the next 1200 miles. You may end up with a new engine. These aren't perfect cars, and sometimes you get a one that was built late on a Friday...
I'm hoping so. When I checked the oil level today, it was a little above the full line. Sketchy. And I know, but it's still frustratng.
CamiLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #17
CamiLFX

I have a question that's very important to my OP. Is there anything that might cause the oil level to drop after going below a certain point? When I did the last oil change myself, the oil level was consistent for at least 1,000 miles. After that, the oil level dropped significantly over the following 1,000-1,500 miles. I'm puzzled.

Maybe i'm losing my mind?
Old 01-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #18
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiLFX View Post
I have a question that's very important to my OP. Is there anything that might cause the oil level to drop after going below a certain point? When I did the last oil change myself, the oil level was consistent for at least 1,000 miles. After that, the oil level dropped significantly over the following 1,000-1,500 miles. I'm puzzled.

Maybe i'm losing my mind?
i know on my car that the level on the dipstick equals a quart between low and full. i run 7-7.5 quarts vs the 8 the manual calls for and if i do 7 quarts only it'll be on the bottom of the dipstick. if i put in 7.5 it's halfway up.

if you really want to know how much it's eating then change the oil yourself and measure what comes out. going off the dipstick could only show a quart loss. i know this isn't your first time with the problem, and that you are being helped by the dealer, but thought i'd mention that.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:30 PM   #19
CamiLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
i know on my car that the level on the dipstick equals a quart between low and full. i run 7-7.5 quarts vs the 8 the manual calls for and if i do 7 quarts only it'll be on the bottom of the dipstick. if i put in 7.5 it's halfway up.

if you really want to know how much it's eating then change the oil yourself and measure what comes out. going off the dipstick could only show a quart loss. i know this isn't your first time with the problem, and that you are being helped by the dealer, but thought i'd mention that.
I appreciate it. I'll definitely try it on my next oil change if I can't come to a conclusion with the dealer. Thanks
Old 02-23-2018, 09:14 PM   #20
CamiLFX

Update: Almost seems as if the oil loss is intermittent. My oil level remained steady throughout the oil consumption test, until about 500 miles outside of the test interval when I was about a quart and a half low. I'm extremely puzzled. Considering having mental evaluations done because I feel like i'm losing my mind.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #21
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
So if I am understanding correctly, uses 0 oil for 1500 miles, then 1 quart for next 1000 miles when you changed the oil. The dealer changed the oil and now it is holding steady at full beyond 1500 miles?

If it is not leaking it, then it has to burn it. In order to burn that amount of oil your clearances would have to be wearing.

I would suggest having an oil analysis done, perhaps they can provide some insight into any metals in your oil that could help put your mind at ease.

If it stops burning oil and the analysis comes back good, I would not worry. I have seen several posts about this engine liking to sip oil. Just check your oil regularly.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:09 PM   #22
CamiLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
So if I am understanding correctly, uses 0 oil for 1500 miles, then 1 quart for next 1000 miles when you changed the oil. The dealer changed the oil and now it is holding steady at full beyond 1500 miles?

If it is not leaking it, then it has to burn it. In order to burn that amount of oil your clearances would have to be wearing.

I would suggest having an oil analysis done, perhaps they can provide some insight into any metals in your oil that could help put your mind at ease.

If it stops burning oil and the analysis comes back good, I would not worry. I have seen several posts about this engine liking to sip oil. Just check your oil regularly.
Looks like i'll be utilizing Blackstone Labs pretty soon then. Thanks for the help! And i've been checking my oil almost daily now lol
Old 02-24-2018, 01:36 AM   #23
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I have seen quite a few 3.6L (regardless of RPO designation) burn oil. IMO they are a pretty crappy engine, lots of issues with them.
Where are you getting this information from? On the low self-esteem LS3 owners section?

Before you bombard me with more fake news, tell me (seriously) what makes the LFX such a crappy engine? 323 hp out of 217 cid doesn't seem like a crappy design to me.

Tell me exactly, what makes it such a crappy engine? Timing chain issues were mostly resolved by 2011/2012.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #24
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Yes, that's what I would do, get an analysis. That is odd that it won't leak for first X miles and then goes south pretty fast. What oil are you using btw?
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #25
CamiLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Yes, that's what I would do, get an analysis. That is odd that it won't leak for first X miles and then goes south pretty fast. What oil are you using btw?
RP 5w-30. It was doing this before I put my own fluids in. I have no idea of what the previous owner put in it.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:06 PM   #26
CamiLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Where are you getting this information from? On the low self-esteem LS3 owners section?

Before you bombard me with more fake news, tell me (seriously) what makes the LFX such a crappy engine? 323 hp out of 217 cid doesn't seem like a crappy design to me.

Tell me exactly, what makes it such a crappy engine? Timing chain issues were mostly resolved by 2011/2012.

This post is incredibly ironic lol. My Camaro threw a blinking CEL at me on the way home from work today, so i'm certainly gonna have to side with Jer on this. The V6 as a whole is problematic. Once this whole endeavour is over, i'm getting back into a Honda. I don't have the time or money to keep chasing these problems. I've spent more money repairing this car in the last 2 months than I did in the 2 years of owning my Si, and that's hardly an exaggeration. That being said, once I have my life figured out, can settle down, and have extra money in the bank, i'll most likely be investing in a Camaro again.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #27
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Quote:
This post is incredibly ironic lol. My Camaro threw a blinking CEL at me on the way home from work today, so i'm certainly gonna have to side with Jer on this. The V6 as a whole is problematic. Once this whole endeavour is over, i'm getting back into a Honda. I don't have the time or money to keep chasing these problems. I've spent more money repairing this car in the last 2 months than I did in the 2 years of owning my Si, and that's hardly an exaggeration. That being said, once I have my life figured out, can settle down, and have extra money in the bank, i'll most likely be investing in a Camaro again.

Instead of complaining and ranting about getting back into a Honda and how camaro is a crap car, get a Honda and leave the forums , nobody is asking you to continuously rant on unless you're seeking attention.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #28
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Update: Almost seems as if the oil loss is intermittent. My oil level remained steady throughout the oil consumption test, until about 500 miles outside of the test interval when I was about a quart and a half low. I'm extremely puzzled. Considering having mental evaluations done because I feel like i'm losing my mind.
Why don't you make them be the ones to top up the engine when it got low after 1500 miles and make them continue to monitor it? If it uses 2 quarts in the next 2000 miles there is some kind of an issue no doubt. Did you take it back and show them it lost 1.5 quarts in the next 500 miles or top it off yourself? I hope you showed it to them....

I wouldn't do any of my own changes until this got sorted out...
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote