Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
MrandMrsNinja

Drives: 11' SGM 2SS/13' GT/08' F-150 4x4
New CAFE standards: end of Camaro V8s?

What do you guys think, with the new CAFE standards just passed requiring 54.5MPG by 2025 is there any chance a V8 can be saved? I know that it's a combined average across a manufacturer’s lineup, but that doesn't look good for sports cars. You have to figure that there will always be a market for trucks and SUVs so that will be the lower end of the spectrum for most brands. And family sedans will take precedent over a sports car.

Will sports cars with large displacement V8s survive? Or will everything go to turbos? or heaven forbid, electric. I know that electric cars are coming along nicely. The new Tesla Model S is a pretty legit little car, but personally I will always want a V8 powered toy in the garage.

Here's the link to Autoblogs story on it. I also added the story for those of you who don't like links. But on their page they have the official release.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/29/n...ke-making-gas/

Quote:
Increasing the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards for model year 2017-2025 cars to 54.5 miles per gallon was first proposed in July 2011. Since then, there has been a lot of back and forth, a lot of positive and negative responses, and, lately, a delay for unknown reasons. Since the CAFE rules were not changed between the mid-1980s and when President Obama came into office and rules for 2012-2016 model year vehicles were put in place in 2010, it's not a huge surprise this update took so long. That's all over now.

Department of Transportation secretary Ray LaHood and Environmental Protection Agency administrator Lisa Jackson announced the official finalization of new federal fuel efficiency standards in a Tuesday conference call. Some headline numbers from the call:
The reduced fuel use will save American families over $1.7 trillion dollars in fuel costs.
Vehicles on American roads will use two million barrels of oil less per day by 2025, "as much as half of the oil we import from OPEC each day."
More efficient cars will be more expensive, but LaHood said that the buyers can expect average fuel savings of $8,000 per vehicle (over the life of the vehicle) for a 2025 model year car compared to a similar vehicle from 2010, using today's prices. That's equivalent to gas being a dollar a gallon cheaper.
You like lower emissions? The new standards will "reduc[e] emissions by 6 billion metric tons over the life of the program – more than the total amount of carbon dioxide emitted by the United States in 2010."
We've heard a lot of those numbers before, but there were some items in the press release (not addressed on the call) that caught our eye. Specifically:
The program also includes targeted incentives to encourage early adoption and introduction into the marketplace of advanced technologies to dramatically improve vehicle performance, including:
Incentives for electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, and fuel cells vehicles;
Incentives for hybrid technologies for large pickups and for other technologies that achieve high fuel economy levels on large pickups;
Incentives for natural gas vehicles;
Credits for technologies with potential to achieve real-world greenhouse gas reductions and fuel economy improvements that are not captured by the standards test procedures.

We don't know how these incentives stack (or don't) with current incentives or if they're just the ones already in place, but we've put in a call to the EPA to find out. We'll let you know when we hear back. A sample of early responses to the official rules – all positive, so far – is available below.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Screw this. I'll import a v8 if I have to. Or buy a crate motor
Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
BowtieBelle had a huge thread about this same subject. I think most people said what they needed to there.

Anyway, I'll play and say I am against the new standards. Due to the of this site, of which there are MANY, I am unfortunately limited as to what opinion I can give and how in depth I can go into it.

Freedom of speech? What's that?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
MrandMrsNinja

guess i missed it.

yeah, you have to be careful with what ya say about certain subjects on here. I understand why though, i have been in threads that have gone very very south over things people feel strongly about. Of course i was banned for 30 days, so i try and stay away from certain subjects now.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrandMrsNinja View Post
guess i missed it.

yeah, you have to be careful with what ya say about certain subjects on here. I understand why though, i have been in threads that have gone very very south over things people feel strongly about. Of course i was banned for 30 days, so i try and stay away from certain subjects now.

And I don't mind the thread...I'm just saying you may not get as many responses as you were looking for because there was like 10 pages on the other thread.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Highly doubt the V8 is going anywhere anytime soon. GM sells more cars in 1 year than every single Camaro ever produced. It may be more limited than today but, will be available for quite a long time to come. The Gen V V8 hasn't even come out yet.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowSStopper View Post
Freedom of speech? What's that?

As I do agree with you on this keep in mind we all have rules in our own homes we want others to follow when they visit (smoking, swearing around our children ect.) this site doe's not belong to us and is here with open doors for anyone to enjoy Camaro owner or not, and the rules are there for a reason. If someone gets out of line at your house you are going to ask them to leave.

I think we all get the point..
Old 08-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
crateish

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2LT/RS Coupe
Earth > V8
Old 08-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
Originally Posted by crateish View Post
Earth > V8
x1,000,000
Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
MrandMrsNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by crateish View Post
Earth > V8
i promise you that there are many more harmful things to the planet going on than someone driving a V8.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
It's not like every V-8 ever made will fall off the face of the earth in 2025. It means that most people won't own one. They will still make them for people that can afford them. I'm not too worried about it. There is a very large aftermaket business that will need to survive. That is where innovation will take place the most to keep performance alive. For myself, I don't really care if V-8's are around in 13 years as long the performance is still there with what ever propulsion systems they dream up. Hell for me, I'll be lucky to even be here in 13 years. I live for today, and right now we are in good time as far as performance. Screw what's going to happen in 13 years.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
If the government has anything to do with it and no one stands up......this could be possible parking lots of the future.......

Name:  smart car parkinglot.jpg
Views: 2192
Size:  506.5 KB
Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
MrandMrsNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
possible parking lots of the future.......

Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #14
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
I had a thread with over 200 posts about this. It got deleted, as did three other threads about CAFE.

Tread lightly!

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread

Closed Thread