Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
Ashn_G_1LE

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
New starter and battery

Hey guys! So I recently put in a new cam (stage 3) and am on e85. I was recommended to put in a higher powered battery and more powerful starter as it is harder to start the car up. Any recommendations for a battery and starter? Let me know!
Old 11-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Powermaster makes high torque starters. I think some here have used them but not positive.

Not sure you need it though. Unless you have increased compression the stock starter is more than adequate. Same goes for the battery: not too many options for more power and stock is adequate. I think you'll be fine staying with stock components. I run a smaller battery with less cranking amps and it starts just fine.

If it's hard to start: add an additional ground from engine to chassis, check all other grounds for solid connections, clean the connection at the starter, and clean the battery terminals. If you have an original starter I'd replace it with an OEM parts while cleaning connections.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Stock...wrap the headers if possible, learn to not stop and go start in heavy traffic areas with stop and go...and generally you should rarely have a slow start that throws a code from header heat stroke/soak. To clear the code simply wait until its cool and restart..and often unhook and rehook up battery to clear code …. You should not have trouble with starting cold..... others have used other aftermarket starters..any starter though in our tight engine bay....is gonna get hot....I personally will go ZL1 hood vent someday, for now I just have the middle of the firewall to hood seal cut out where the cowl is on the hood ...used a xacto knife...old school, can watch the heat come out …….also a wrap on the starter...watch out they have metal in the fabric and cant touch the wiring.... and I also did a zero gauge wire bypass around the terminal post in the engine bay due to the wiring changing gauge making a slight change in resistance there.... Good Luck. I Also sanded well the rear ground off the battery as its a POS some spot welded flat bar in the trunk pan that also holds down a harness and is painted all around the simple tapped bolt hole...…...
Old 11-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
get an AGM style..

peace