Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Mustang preparing for its rivals

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...d-mustang.html

Quote:
BY JARED GALL, PHOTOGRAPHY BY BRENDA PRIDDY & CO. August 2007

With the Chevrolet Camaro and the Dodge Challenger getting ready to hit the road and showrooms, Ford is working up a facelift for the Mustang to keep it from appearing the old man of the group. Although nothing is visible beneath the thickly padded bra seen in this latest spy shot, expect that the 2009 update will include some interpretation of the flattened, sharpened nose sported by the Giugiaro Mustang concept shown at last year’s L.A. auto show.

Under the reshaped hood we look forward to Ford’s newest V-8, its upcoming “Boss” modular engine family. While details on the upcoming engine are scarce, we believe it will begin by trumping Dodge’s 6.1-liter Hemi with a displacement of 6.2 liters. While the engine is also destined for trucks, Ford couldn’t name an engine Boss and then keep it from the Mustang. We expect displacement for the Mustang in the 5.0-liter range.

And it wouldn’t meet the affordability criteria without a V-6 or two. Ford has adopted a strategy whereby Blue Oval models get the new 3.5-liter Duratec V-6 and Lincolns are to be differentiated with a 3.7-liter. We expect the Mustang is a candidate for either, as well as the 3.7-liter Twin Force V-6, which has twin-turbochargers and direct-injection gasoline-engine technology, and is expected to bow in 2010, likely in the second model year of the Lincoln MKS sedan.
That poor car is toast when the Challenger and Camaro release.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Hmm... Who's trying to look like who now?!?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
SSMUFF

Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee
They might hit 325hp with this new motor!
SSMUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
They have to have that huge black cover on the front end of their new car cause it's so d@mn ugly!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Great, an update for the Mustang just means that we'll see another 50 "editions" of it on the roads.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
Cool Raise the bar ford! that just means a better chance of us getting the LS3 1st year in the camaro

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Great, an update for the Mustang just means that we'll see another 50 "editions" of it on the roads.
My thoughts exactly.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
juzlookzfazt

Drives: 2000 Mitsu Eclipse..for now..
Ford is already behind with their Mustangs V8. Only 300BHP. Where as GM has been sporting the 400BHP LS2 for years. Ford has a lot of catch up to do. Id still get a Mustang even still.
juzlookzfazt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by juzlookzfazt View Post
Ford is already behind with their Mustangs V8. Only 300BHP. Where as GM has been sporting the 400BHP LS2 for years. Ford has a lot of catch up to do. Id still get a Mustang even still.
I believe that last line is grounds for banishment....LOL

As far as Ford being "behind"....behind what? The Mustang currently does not have any competition from GM or Dodge, so really what is Ford behind. Behind the GTO? Not competition for the 'Stang.

If you look at other cars in the lineup, GM is playing catch up. They just recently starting putting V8's in the Impala (SS only) while the Crown Vic has had V8's forever. The Thunderbird died, so the Monte Carlo doesn't really have any Ford competitor, so I guess Ford is behind there, but.....

Ford doesn't have to catch up with their Mustangs because, currently there isn't anyone else in the race. Ford just better be ready to stop and pick up it's doors in late '08/early '09.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
well what v8 is going to be used when the camaro comes out and how much hp will it have. I might even go to a mustang forum to see whats gonna go down.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
This is just a post on a forum of a guy guessing what the 2009 mustang will have. So dont all gang up on me.

2009 Mustang Engine and Drive-train:

Evolution. The new 3-valve 4.6 liter V8 will likely soldier on as the standard 2009 Mustang GT power plant. It has already proven to be a winner both on the track and on the street. What is sure to be new for Mustang is displacement-on-demand (DOD) technology that will shut down 4 of the 8 cylinders while coasting or cruising at speed. When you step on the gas, the computer will provide seamless power delivery when the full cylinder count comes back on line. Because of the added efficiency afforded by DOD, a more aggressive tune will be feasible offering up to perhaps 325-340 hp. The 4-valve version of the 4.6 and 5.4 are also likely to return in either supercharged or naturally aspirated forms for higher performance models. A 3-valve 5.4 liter V8 is also a possibility as it is less costly than a supercharged engine with similar power.

For the base power plant in the 2009 Mustang we believe the new 3.5 liter DOHC V6 built in Ohio should replace the decades-old German built 4.0 liter truck engine that the current car uses. The new 24-valve power plant offers more standard power at around 250-260 and is a far more refined and happy revving engine for the Mustang.

Will a six speed transmission ever become standard in the 2009 Mustang? Perhaps, but it is more likely to be a six-speed automatic that is available at first. Unless the competition warrants otherwise, our bet is on the 5-speed manual to stick around except on hi performance models like the Cobra. A true manu-matic sequential gearbox with shift paddles on the wheel is an expensive proposition that might be in the cards for the upper line Cobras, but we aren’t holding our breath.

Also while i was looking around the forum, there was a thread talking about the probability of the ls3 being in the camaro. They all thought there was no doubt it would be cause the ls2 is done.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #12
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
Also while i was looking around the forum, there was a thread talking about the probability of the ls3 being in the camaro. They all thought there was no doubt it would be cause the ls2 is done.
GM "could" put the '08, 436 hp ls3 vette motor in a middle to high-end '09 camaro. The '06 GTO & '06 Vette both had 400 hp engines with a 0-60 time in at around 4.5 sec. I wouldn't put it past them to do it again... PLUS, that would give the Camaro a bit of a lead against the Challenger which I think GM is going for.

I don't think GM is worried about ford... hp-wise.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
No, I can't see GM worried about hp, either. They've got everybody beat there. Someone said the Mustang might get 325 hp in 2009...I hope so. It would be an ultimate embarrassment. I mean, in the LEAST we know the Camaro will have something like the L76. AT LEAST. And that's 367 hp. If they put the LS3 in there, (which is a 75% possibility) We're talking serious Mustang-Ass kicking power!

If GM wants to "challenge" the challenger......then they should pop an LS3 in there. But the 'Maro already has it beat in wieght. So...

Will a six-speed ever be available in the Mustang? Ha! I don't know, but we have one !

I'm curious, is it covered due to a re-design of the front end? More likely they jsut don't like showing that ugly mug out in public +1 TAG.

You think 50 more editions? D@mn. Sad thing is, I can see it happening, too. They're squeezing this thing like a lemon...and now they're only left with seeds - but they'll keep squeezing. Hell, why not?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:20 AM   #14
SSRich

Drives: 1967 camaroSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
They have to have that huge black cover on the front end of their new car cause it's so d@mn ugly!
I hope that it is real pretty because i will be seeing it alot in my rearview mirror.
SSRich is offline   Reply With Quote