Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
Problems with Zurich Paint Shield

When I bought my Red Rock Metallic 1LT/RS a month ago I was given a pretty hard sell on purchasing the Zurich Paint Shield. I'm normally not gullible to these kinds of things but it was a slick presentation, complete with video, and I was told the car would never need waxing. I am embarrassed to admit it, but I fell for it and forked over the $800+ for the exterior and interior protection package.

Fast forward one month. I have washed the car a few times, by hand and in a touchless car wash. It has been cold here and doing it by hand is kind if difficult. It has always been dried with a new microfiber towel. Yesterday I noticed that there were what appeared to be scratches in the finish. They were not in the paint, but rather what looked like swirl marks in the teflon coating. Imagine an oil-like finish that didn't dry. It's like the coating is just getting smeared around. Needless to say, the car looks awful and I am not happy about it.

So this morning I wrote a scathing email to Zurich. Told them their product was junk, poorly applied, and not worth what it cost. Their reply was that they are "sorry for the inconvenience" and will talk to the dealer to resolve the issue.

At this point I am ready to cut my losses and have a professional detail shop take care of this; someone I know and someone I trust. Even though Zurich has offered to fix it I am very hesitant to have it redone, especially if it's the same idiots doing it. I don't trust it would be any better.

Do I take it to my guy to get it looking like it's supposed to or go through the BS of dealing with the Zurich crap again?
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Put "Zurich Paint Shield Complaints" in a Google search and see what appears.

Your next move will be obvious.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I doubt the marks in your paint are related to the coating. Most dealers that sell this stuff rarely clay and polish prior to applying any coating( if you could call the dealer stuff a coating). The swirls are typically masked by fillers or a glaze like product then they send it out and it looks great until you start to wash it and dry it then the paints condition is revealed. What you purchased was a warranty. That's it. Regardless any paint coating needs the proper care especially when washing and drying to minimize scratching it.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:05 AM   #4
Backspin9

I got a call yesterday from the guy with Zurich. They want to make this right and have offered to send some new product to whoever I want and Zurich will pay them to strip the old stuff off and re-apply it.

The guy I use does a lot of high-end cars (Lambo, Ferrari, etc) and is the best guy around here, but I'm not sure he'd want to take something like this on having never worked with that product. I can't imagine, though, that it's too much different than anything else. I absolutely refused to take it back to the dealer to have them re-do the car.

While it's a nice Zurich made that offer, I'm still hesitant to take them up on it. It's hard to say if it's the product itself, they way it was applied, or both. I don't want to re-do the car and have it end up the same way it is now. I'm going to take it over the my guy and see what he says and take it from there.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Why didn't you go to the guy you use in the first place? Just wondering. Most things that are too good to be true usually are. Coatings, etc., are usually not that bad in and of themselves, but the key is the prep and application of said coatings.

For example, I could screw up a perfectly good 3M clear bra pretty easy because I'm not good at applying one, so I leave things like that to the pros.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
Backspin9

No doubt I should've used my own guy. But I fell for the dealer's sales pitch. It was a mistake and I admit it. And the thing is, I know better.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
Backspin9

No doubt I should've used my own guy. But I fell for the dealer's sales pitch. It was a mistake and I admit it. And the thing is, I know better.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #8
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Windshield Diamon-Fusion technology patent. Hmmm. So I looked it up.

Quote:
6,245,387, Re. S.N. 10/449,410, May 30, 2003, Cl.
427/341, CAPPED SILICONE FILM AND METHOD OF MANUFACTURE THEREOF, Don
Hayden, Owner of Record: Diamon-Fusion International, Inc., San
Juan Capistrano, CA, Attorney or Agent: Richard L. Myers, Ex. Gp.:
Here's a link to the windshield film patent info.

https://docs.google.com/a/ktmine.com.../US6245387.pdf

It seems like a higher end silicone coating for glass that's already in use. But I didn't see anything about making glass stronger. The patent basically "caps" the hydroxyl ion that is attached to the end of the silicone string to make it more water resistant. Un-capped OH actually ATTRACTS water, so it sort of would defeat the purpose of the silicone string.

Interestingly, the "brochure" they give to dealers has some troubling words in it on why it is good for your business that screams "snake oil" to me (I highlighted in bold and red):

Quote:

Improved sales fi gures –
Low cost product

with a high profi t margin.
Increased product penetration – High

perceived value by customers.
Expanded product offering – New

windshield protection product added
to your F&I portfolio.
Training and support – Professional F&I

training and support for service department
and sales staff.
Marketing support – Program specifi cally

designed for use in the F&I offi ce and
service department.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #9
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
I doubt the marks in your paint are related to the coating. Most dealers that sell this stuff rarely clay and polish prior to applying any coating( if you could call the dealer stuff a coating). The swirls are typically masked by fillers or a glaze like product then they send it out and it looks great until you start to wash it and dry it then the paints condition is revealed. What you purchased was a warranty. That's it. Regardless any paint coating needs the proper care especially when washing and drying to minimize scratching it.
+1 The glaze is coming off
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspin9 View Post
I got a call yesterday from the guy with Zurich. They want to make this right and have offered to send some new product to whoever I want and Zurich will pay them to strip the old stuff off and re-apply it.

The guy I use does a lot of high-end cars (Lambo, Ferrari, etc) and is the best guy around here, but I'm not sure he'd want to take something like this on having never worked with that product. I can't imagine, though, that it's too much different than anything else. I absolutely refused to take it back to the dealer to have them re-do the car.

While it's a nice Zurich made that offer, I'm still hesitant to take them up on it. It's hard to say if it's the product itself, they way it was applied, or both. I don't want to re-do the car and have it end up the same way it is now. I'm going to take it over the my guy and see what he says and take it from there.

Go get an estimate from your trusted detailer and make sure he writes it up so you can submit it to Zurich for approval. Do not begin the work until you or your detailer have a check in hand. Zurich shield like many dealer offered paint sealants can be layered with other products such as wax or polymer quick detailers. So once you have the paint properly corrected and the Zurich shield applied, learn how to properly wash and maintain the surface to that the paints condition will always look it's best to you. Remember no coating or paint sealant is bullet proof each of them need care to prevent swirls and other imperfections and Zurich, like many other companies that market paint protection, have recommendations on how to maintain their product.

If I may ask? Where did you purchase your car? Which detailer are you considering to correct and detail your car? I may be able to help.

Hang in there we all know that these cars are our passion and hate it when things don't go as planned. The good news is anything can be corrected.

Ct
Old 03-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #11
Backspin9

Thanks. PM sent.

I'll be on vacation next week but when I get back I have an appointment with my detail guy to go over all of this, what the options are, and see what he recommends.

As for "proper" washing, in the month I've had it I've either done it by hand or used a touch-free laser wash (when it was too cold). Dried it with a new, clean microfiber towel. I'm not sure how much gentler it could have been cleaned. It's never seen an automatic wash or had anyone else lay a hand on it.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #12
anmol77

Drives: honda
At this point I am ready to cut my losses and have a professional detail shop take care of this; someone I know and someone I trust. Even though Zurich has offered to fix it I am very hesitant to have it redone, especially if it's the same idiots doing it. I don't trust it would be any better.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #13
Mike J

Drives: 2015 Topless Btch RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol77 View Post
There was no update before your post...One may gather the problem was solved with Zurich...let them try to make it right...the original post is over a year old
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote