Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Issues running thinner tires on an SS?

Quick Correction: SMALLER tires, not thinner

Just got back from ordering some MP4Ss for the SS, and I ordered in the wrong aspect ratios--35r and 30r. Just had a brain fart when I told the guy the sizes... Would there be any cause for concern to throw them on? I know the 1LE and ZL1 run 30r tires.

They're not mounted or paid for yet so I could reasonably call tomorrow and get that sorted out, but I looked prices on the correct ratios and these are a good bit cheaper than 40r/35r tires. Thoughts?
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:40 AM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I built a spreadsheet comparing all tire sizes from 225 through 325 or so for 19 and 20" rims, this way I could know how ride-height would be affected going to a different profile tire. I don't have enough information to know how much different yours would be from stock, such as what stock front and rear profiles are, widths, etc., but you can do this yourself. This way I was able to find alternate winter tires and wheels at 19" and 255 that were within 1/4" of the ride height of my summer setup.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:30 AM   #3
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
correct you order
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:07 AM   #4
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Yeah I would get the correct size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:02 AM   #5
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...30-20X10.0ET20

you can use that and input what you have vs what you'll be getting and it will tell you almost exactly what the differences will be
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Camaro View Post
Quick Correction: SMALLER tires, not thinner

Just got back from ordering some MP4Ss for the SS, and I ordered in the wrong aspect ratios--35r and 30r. Just had a brain fart when I told the guy the sizes... Would there be any cause for concern to throw them on? I know the 1LE and ZL1 run 30r tires.

They're not mounted or paid for yet so I could reasonably call tomorrow and get that sorted out, but I looked prices on the correct ratios and these are a good bit cheaper than 40r/35r tires. Thoughts?
5 points smaller on profile ratio corresponds pretty closely to 1" less tire outside diameter.

Your car would ride about half an inch lower and have about half an inch more top-of-tire to fender gap.

Your car's speedometer/odometer would read about 4% different than before (faster speed and miles driven). I'm saying 'different' because there's no guarantee that with the OE tires those measurements were dead-nuts accurate.

RPMs on the highway would probably be enough higher to notice right away, but would soon become the "new normal" in your driving. You might even like it better, kind of like swapping axle gears for the next deeper set.

The only caution I can think of involves potholes and possibly curb strikes. With less sidewall comes a somewhat greater likelihood of pinch-flats.

Just so you know, the tire set on the car pictured below is about 1.3" shorter than OE and another set I have for that car is 0.8" shorter than OE. I've done the same sort of thing with a car I no longer own. I wouldn't ever go back to full OE diameter tires after going shorter.

Norm
Old 07-15-2018, 08:02 PM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Norm has pointed out most of the issues.
You said smaller tires are cheaper. You will be logging more miles on your car than you actually drive. The smaller tires will also run hotter, so I expect tread wear/tire life to be affected.
It may end up not netting the cost savings you initially realize.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Death awaits... really, correct order if you can if not you'll be ok...
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote