Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #43
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSforme View Post
The new version or the older one? I mean the blender thing on the new one looked great, but I can't think of how I'd get a hold of plutonium for the older version
The "flux capacitor" is the flux capacitor. It's the "Mr. Fusion" that generates the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity. "You sound like a fool when you screw it up"
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #44
00fanfan00

Drives: 307 cc (hard top convertible)
hello guys,

you know when the discussions begin around fuel there's always the word "government" behind...and of course all the sad things that fuel wrote in our history. Everything began in 1933 when the Standard Oil of California signed a concessionary agreement with saudi arabia - the rest of the history you probably know it, it killed one president in Texas and today the president bush is strongly associated with oil business.

I'm french and here in france we have many interests with oil too (TOTAL company) our governments made so many "dark" deals with africa that oil itself was blushing.

Why am I asking these things? because why should our governments dump that treasure industry and leave it to agriculture and farmers to produce E85 uuuh? I have heard in france that you americans had manyyyy E85 gas stations around the country but apparently this is a lie? I've heard there's 8 millions US cars with bioethanol and now that i read this post it appears this is wrong?? Well in france same lies our government said WOW E85 soooo goood yum yum we encourage all the car industry to produce cars with bioethanol that we won't be "saudi arabia dependent" anymore - Yeah right...

I live in Nantes it's a very well known town on the atlantic coast. 46 miles away from Nantes is a town named St Nazaire where there's a huge oil port with refinery ! AND GUESS WHAT? We have only 3 E85 gas stations in the whole state !!!! And in the whole country 300. And you know the best part? Our oil is 75% taxed....here in france we have an expression for that "the chicken with golden eggs" - why should our government kill the chicken.

So E85 on a Camaro yeah surely ! good idea why not on every new cars and specially on thirsty cars uuh? why not? Because we looooove saudi arabia soooo muuuch we love to brown nose them sooo muuuuch - Until where and when are we going to kill ourselves with that black shit, well big mystery...
00fanfan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #45
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
im running my 2005 equinox on e85 and it is not a flex fuel vehicle and i didnt do any of the things you said,, man i must have done it wrong,,lol

lots of internet myths,,

internet myths? your an idiot if you run E85 in a non flex fuel vehicle. it requires completely different air fuel ratios and specific tuning, not to mention all the other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
you actually need a rebuild of the engine since the seals such as headgaskets need to be e85 compatible aswell
head gaskets have nothing to do with it. making statements like that when you don't know what your talking about is how bs internet crap starts.

to get any significant performance benefit you'd have to raise your compression to the 13:1 range and get an appropriate cam. Then your not going to be able to run on regular fuel anymore either.
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #46
CamaroSSforme
Got my two

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - RJT/Black
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSSforme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
The "flux capacitor" is the flux capacitor. It's the "Mr. Fusion" that generates the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity. "You sound like a fool when you screw it up"
I guess I'm just not a gigawatt junky. Back to the books for me.
CamaroSSforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #47
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
When GM builds it I'll buy it.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #48
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I don't think I'd do a conversion, but I was very surprised when they said that it wouldn't be a flex fuel vehicle as so many of the other GM cars are now. I kinda wanted it to be flex fuel capable, just in case they start opening more stations, but there aren't any within a reasonable driving distance from me right now. I wonder if they didn't because the tune required to make it flex fuel would hurt the MPG numbers, and they wanted them to be a good as possible.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #49
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
When GM builds it I'll buy it.
I'm a big fan, so I'll jump on board. It'll be a while before I can afford a Camaro, so this could be a reality by then.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #50
mpiper

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
I wouldn't do the conversion.

Ethanol has much less energy potential than gasoline. Octane has NOTHING to do with actual power. Octane is the ability of a fuel to resist detonation (pinging), that's it. The higher octane allows you to run higher compression and more timing advance. It is the compression/timing that gives more power, not the octane. Since Ethanol has less energy potential, it reduces both mileage and power output for the same volume of fuel. So to get the power of the current 90/10 setup, you must crank up the fuel fed in, thus killing mileage even more.
mpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #51
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Nearly 100% of the statements in this thread are completely wrong.

You have to change injectors, fuel pumps to deliver enough fuel and custom tune to convert. What kit? OMG E85 is an excellent race fuel that can also be used on the street very effectively. Burns at lower temps thus cooler oil temps cause less heat soak and more HP. More fuel. + more 02= more hp.

In my exact case increase was 40 rwhp and 32lbs of torque. But I did it to be safer with less detonation issues and knock retard....
Now go back and do a little reading before you wrongly confuse folks here.

http://raceone85.com/

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...uel/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Dyno sheets 11-4-100001.pdf (844.3 KB, 83 views)
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #52
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
if gas gets to over $4 gal like they say ,, ill be running e85,, i ran it in a couple other non e85 vehicles with differrent injectors/tuning and it works great
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #53
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
oh no.. the e85 debate...

Long story short.. until gas is more than 40% the cost of E85 you will not save any money and the performance gain will be so slight that you will not notice unless your on a dyno.

In my case personally id never do it becuase there are zero, count them, ZERO e85 stations in the state of arizona.
Here are a few in Arizona

Bullhead city Terrible Herbst 1815 Highway 95
Chino Valley Pacific Pride 900 East Road* 4 North
Coolidge Ludwigs Service 510 S Arizona Blvd
Glendale Z Station 5905 West Olive
Kingman Terrible Herbst 3291 E Andy Devine
Lake Havasu City Terrible Herbst 1040 Acoma Blvd S
Mesa Apache Sands Service 7602 E Main
Nogales Puchis Quick Stop 483 Grand Ave
Parker Terrible Herbst 1001 California Ave
Phoenix Western States Petro 450 S 15th Ave
Phoenix Arizona Dept of Administration 1501 W Madison Street
Prescott Pacific Pride- Bennett 810 E Sheldon StreetSafford Super Stop 1780 W Hwy 70
Sahuarita Super Stop 795 W Sahuarita
Scottsdale Chevron 22111 N Scottsdale Road
Sierra Vista Gas City 2275 Soldier Trail
Sierra Vista Gas City 399 E Fry Blvd
Tucson Arizona Petro Products 10115 S Cherry
Tucson E85 Catalina Mart 2075 W Ruthrauff
Tucson Quick Pic C & T Oil 8601 E. Golf Links
Tucson Quick Pic-C & T Oil 2710 N 1st Ave
Tucson Shell Station 1701 N Alvernon Way
Tucson University of Arizona -Motor pool 1597 E 16th Street
Tucson Fast Lane 1999 E Ajo Way
Tucson Gas City 7335 S Houghton Rd

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #54
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Yes let's not use ETHANOL.......We might accidentally keep some US Dollars in America!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #55
mpiper

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
Nearly 100% of the statements in this thread are completely wrong.

You have to change injectors, fuel pumps to deliver enough fuel and custom tune to convert. What kit? OMG E85 is an excellent race fuel that can also be used on the street very effectively. Burns at lower temps thus cooler oil temps cause less heat soak and more HP. More fuel. + more 02= more hp.

In my exact case increase was 40 rwhp and 32lbs of torque. But I did it to be safer with less detonation issues and knock retard....
Now go back and do a little reading before you wrongly confuse folks here.

http://raceone85.com/

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...uel/index.html
I'm not sure if that was aimed at me or not. If it wasn't, then I apologize in advance. But if it was, let me state that you just proved my argument. Using your own resources, here is a quote from Raceone85.com (I'm including the question so you can find the source):
"Q: Don’t I have to replace all the “rubber” in my fuel system so it want be eaten up by the alcohol in E85?
A: NO!!! We started out on this journey with a complete gasoline system. We upped the flow 30% to compensate for the lower heat energy output of ethanol and left everything else the same just to see the effects. "

What this means is exactly what I said. Ethanol has less energy (They call it lower heat energy output) So, for the exact same power, you have to use 30% MORE fuel, which means your gas mileage just went down by 30%!!!

I never said don't race on Ethanol. I said I wouldn't do a conversion on a street car that is driven for normal purposes. The relatively small amount of fuel used on a run down a quarter mile (or several in a day) might not seem a big deal, but when your mileage drops from 20 to 14 (30%) and you drive the car daily, your pocketbook WILL see the difference. The savings they are claiming is as compared to RACE fuel at $7.00 a gallon, not street gas at $3.79.

Ethanol is a worthy effort to remain fuel efficient, but it's not nearly a success. The government subsidies and requirements are creating a false sense of success. Is it an alternative? YES! Is it comparable? No. In the real world, a 30% drop in gas mileage would mean the gas/E85 must be 30% cheaper than regular gas to be worth the time and effort. I don't know of any stations selling e85 for $2.65 while the next station over sells regular for $3.79. (But if you do, then go for it, because that's how much it needs to be to reach equal value.)

Here's a fairly decent article from wikipedia on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85 Wikipedia isn't always accurate, but this is close enough that I can't find any errors after a quick read through. Notice the parts referencing lower power output and needing a higher volume of fuel delivered.

Again, for racing? It's a win. For the street? Wait for a better alternative.
mpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #56
E85LSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I'm running E85 on my blower set up and love it. I ran it with the motor stock as well. All it requires is tunning, and injectors (and upgraded fuel system depending on your power goals)

It burns cooler has much higher octane and does make more power than gas. The reason for the increase in power is due to the higher octane which will allow you to run MBT timing without knock and the fact that you burn so much more of it in the cylinder there is just more energy to be released. Although it has less energy content by mass than gas it requires much less air to burn do u end up winning and making more power than on gas.

Tons on info in this thread by people who font run E85 and have no idea whst their talking about . . .

E85LSX is offline   Reply With Quote