Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-20-2016, 09:16 PM   #1
GraySS2011

Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
Is GM hassling anyone else over key recall?

I like the switchblade key and don't want to give it up. I have received numerous post cards over the last year telling me about the freaking recall. But today , I had a message on my answering machine that said "this is GM calling about the ignition key recall..." I deleted it at this point and did not listen any further. But seriously, calling me at my house now? Anyone else receive this call from GM?
GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
There have been several threads on this; one just recently. You really have three choices; 1) get the recall done, 2) go to your dealership service manager and sign a waiver or 3) ignor the letters, emails & phone calls.

I went to my Service Manager right after the recall came out & talked with him, he had me sign a waiver and I've yet to hear anything from GM.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453212
Old 05-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #3
GraySS2011

Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
There have been several threads on this; one just recently. You really have three choices; 1) get the recall done, 2) go to your dealership service manager and sign a waiver or 3) ignor the letters, emails & phone calls.

I went to my Service Manager right after the recall came out & talked with him, he had me sign a waiver and I've yet to hear anything from GM.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453212
Thanks for info, but I went to my dealership to sign the waiver last year ( basically I told them I did not want any more post cards) , they said GM has discontinued accepting signed waivers.
GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySS2011 View Post
I like the switchblade key and don't want to give it up. I have received numerous post cards over the last year telling me about the freaking recall. But today , I had a message on my answering machine that said "this is GM calling about the ignition key recall..." I deleted it at this point and did not listen any further. But seriously, calling me at my house now? Anyone else receive this call from GM?
I also got numerous post cards about the key... Never got a phone call that I'm aware of.

What kills me is the extended warranty people that still call me relentlessly... At first I would mention I wasn't interested and would hang up... Then I would stay on line long enough to tell them to remove me from their records data base... Then I would ask to speak to a supervisor, and ask why they keep calling... Remove me isn't plain enough..???

Now, I let them go through their entire spiel, interrupting occasionally to ask questions that take extensive time to explain, which of course lead to follow on questions... and then let them list all of their options... which of course, leads to more questions, like, if my backup camera quit working will that be covered in option A, or B, etc... after they look into option options, I then state well I don't have a backup camera... Now, bare in mind they have called me repeatedly and I asked to be removed from their data base...
So, then I ask if modifications are covered,
I usually get the "no, modifications are not covered"...
So, the pedal covers I put on the brake, clutch, and throttle are not covered... "No"
ok, well I don't think they'll break anyway... How about the rear seat belt retractor....
clicks on the keyboard, and "well maybe... possibly...
" yes or no? its a simple response, yes or no..."
Then I ask if the halo is covered on my cage...
"Uhh... what's that?" clicking in the background...
You know, the roll cage...
"Is that factory item"
No,
"Then it's not covered"
Oh, what about the turbo's?
"Are they factory installed?"
IDK, they are in there...
Clicking in the background...
"What year did you say your car was?"
I didn't but you told me this was for my 2010 Camaro when you called...
"I don't show.... "
Darn, I thought we were getting somewhere...
"Sir, we don't cover modifications"
Exactly my point, my car has a 417 cubic inch aftermarket engine making over 2000 HP, a quad disc clutch, a modified transmission, a nine inch aftermarket diff, axles, engine management system, radiator, roll cage, race seat, five point harness, etc... What will you cover...
"Uh, nothing, I'll remove you from the system...
Thanks, buh bye....

Yes I'm a butthead about it but that particular data base is notated...

However, I got one of them so bad he had me hold and transferred me to a manager... He still tried to sell me a policy... I sent him a link to an article about my car while we were talking and he said... UH...wow, ok never mind...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Why go through that trouble , just tell them that you sold the car , bam , they just push the red lever and will never call you again
Well , they will call you back to sell you another car , so , yeah WASS !

Better way is to signup for a cable co that shows who's calling and their number on the tv screen , done
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:16 PM   #6
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I closed the recall. Had GM send me the two keys, and didn't have the blades removed. I have 4 keys for my Camaro now, two switchblades and two regular keys. They are off the liability hook and I kept more crud out of my pocket. I couldn't care less if the key was a cool switchblade or not, I just can't stand junk in my pockets. Not one of my vehicle keys has anything else on them.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:49 AM   #7
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySS2011 View Post
This is purely C.Y.A. by GM. All they have to do is make every reasonable attempt to contact you to inform you of the recall a certain number of times. If after x amount of attempts with no response, should your ignition fail, and it because of the key, that your implied (no response) refusal to replace caused it, they will probably not be held liable in a lawsuit.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:45 AM   #8
NHCamaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
They had me sign the waiver last year and sure enough I still get the post card every two months or so
2010 Camaro SS Inferno Orange 6-Speed . Edelbrock E Force Supercharger, Volant Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, River City Creations Emblems, Oracle ghosted LED markers, SLP faded gills, ...531 rwhp, 490 rwtq
NHCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:57 AM   #9
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Yes and it is driving me crazy I have told them numerous times to take me off the list/signed waiver etc.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:08 AM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
My dealer would not let me waive the recall.

A friendly relationship with the service manager, who takes care of four cars for my family, is more important to me than a switchblade key, so I got the recall done.

No big deal.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:18 AM   #11
Mels RS

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS Vert
Personally I would never do this but I have been told that the sender is liable for all return postage.
If the post card was tied around a brick, marked "REFUSED", and dropped in a mail box, it would be returned to the sender "postage due". they might get the message.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>

Last edited by Mels RS; 05-21-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Mels RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #12
jimlem

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Plus 1 Mels - Especially if you could get that brick/message tied around some GM vice president's neck.

@ Rocket-it Man: What??? They should be signing a promise not to bother a valued customer who has 4 vehicles religiously maintained by one of their dealerships, rather than you signing a surrender and going with a very crappy deal of a recall.

Absolute bullshit!!! I'm pretty sure you can count on numerous future calls for aftermarket rust proofing and lifelong upholstery treatments, etc. since you were most likely placed into the "dumb enough to buy anything" category in some GM database. No offense, not personal, just saying.

We know GM was compelled by the courts to reach out to as many subject key fob owners as possible. However, they were realistically not held to a gain of 100% compliance. They just hit you with some annoying scare tactics and got you to concede.

I would hope they do not do this with every Camaro owner, but the above incident illustrates clearly why they keep trying.

No one, other than your own two hands, should concern themselves with what you have in your own pockets. Unless of course your significant other takes an avid interest in what they might find in there. In that case, you should definitely thank GM for their B.S.

Last edited by jimlem; 05-21-2016 at 08:13 AM.
jimlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
My dealer would not let me waive the recall.

A friendly relationship with the service manager, who takes care of four cars for my family, is more important to me than a switchblade key, so I got the recall done.

No big deal.
Maybe not a big deal in the overall scheme of things, but if the service manager truly appreciated your business he'd have found a way to get the waiver done for you as a 'perk' for a valued customer.

You could have gently hinted that your business could go elsewhere . . .

Norm
Old 05-21-2016, 09:18 AM   #14
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Why do Camaro owners have such an incredible love for a key? You guys crack me up.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote