Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-28-2024, 07:43 PM   #1
Spacenerd87

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
2011 LT - No start, #12 30A fuse blowing

No check engine light, no codes.
90k miles
V6 Automatic

I've been fighting this issue for a couple months now. My car will not start and blows the #12 30a (starter) fuse each time the ignition is turned to start position, but not the on or acc position.

Checked battery, replaced starter, replaced 30A, checked the wiring harness in the trunk and engine bay, checked grounds in trunk and engine bay. Replaced ignition switch, tested alternator. All other functions of the vehicle work normally.

Not sure where else to look. It appears to be a short to ground somewhere, but everything I've checked looks fine. I have not done any actual voltage testing, just physical checking for loose grounds.

I had this same problem 3 months prior, at first I was able to just pop a new fuse in and it would start, then that stopped working and I had to replace the starter relay. That worked for a day and then the next it didn't. I replaced the starter and it didn't work at first until I got under and reseated the starter connections. After that I was fine for 3 months.

I put a full tank of gas one morning and the #12 fuse blew again which led to me getting it towed home and I've had it on air ever since. For the hell of it I swapped the newish starter for another new one since it was in warranty.

Any ideas? Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by Spacenerd87; 02-29-2024 at 11:37 AM.
Spacenerd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 03:29 PM   #2
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
I think you have an internal issue with the underhood fuse block. Power is supplied to it from the battery through a cable junction block, fusible link, To the alternator and then to the UFB. Not blowing any other fuses except the 30 amp starter fuse in the start position. Under the UFB is three big connectors X1, X2, and X3. X1 is the largest, X3 is the smallest right next to X1. The starter feed wire is in X3, What I would do in the situation is to try to isolate by disconnecting components, connectors to see what changes. If u access X3 and disconnect it then put the key in the start position, Does it blow?? I've seen a lot of UFB problems in GM and other makes also. Good luck
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 01:41 PM   #3
Spacenerd87

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse330 View Post
I think you have an internal issue with the underhood fuse block. Power is supplied to it from the battery through a cable junction block, fusible link, To the alternator and then to the UFB. Not blowing any other fuses except the 30 amp starter fuse in the start position. Under the UFB is three big connectors X1, X2, and X3. X1 is the largest, X3 is the smallest right next to X1. The starter feed wire is in X3, What I would do in the situation is to try to isolate by disconnecting components, connectors to see what changes. If u access X3 and disconnect it then put the key in the start position, Does it blow?? I've seen a lot of UFB problems in GM and other makes also. Good luck
Thank you for the reply. So I went ahead with this and disconnected X3 (smallest) next to X1. I put the key to start position and thenfuse did not blow.
Spacenerd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 05:12 AM   #4
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
Apparently this fixed your issue?
Old 03-22-2024, 10:30 PM   #5
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacenerd87 View Post
Thank you for the reply. So I went ahead with this and disconnected X3 (smallest) next to X1. I put the key to start position and thenfuse did not blow.
Have you resolved the issue?
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote