Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
mtm864

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
MGW shifter review?

want to get some input on the mgw shifter for the ss. Which would ppl prefer for daily driving mgw or barton? Thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm864 View Post
want to get some input on the mgw shifter for the ss. Which would ppl prefer for daily driving mgw or barton? Thanks
It might help if you ask for people that have driven vehicles with the respective shifters. What you are gonna end up with here is a favoritism argument.

I personally have the MGW and love it. It's crisp, easy to use and relatively easy to install. (I did it laying on my back in the driveway, with only a moderate amount of cussing, and that was due to GM parts, and available space, not the MGW itself.)

I can't compart it to the Barton since I have never used one. One of the Moderators I had the pleasure of meeting is going to drive my car, "take it for a quick trip around the parking lot" to compare it to his Hurst shifter. He was asking someone about the Barton and I offered my ride... uhm, he accepted... I figure if he totals mine, I'll get the number #2 Tom
Henry Signature Signed Car... (lol)...Actually, I offered to let friends of mine that own the SS to try mine out so they can make an informed decision.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...

Last edited by SSE 4 2SS; 12-30-2009 at 08:23 PM.
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
MGW here...it's sweet!
I've had it for a long time as a DD and it is SWEET! You will be stoked to have this shifter! Those dudes that have the_____shifter don't WTF is going on on!!
MGW FTW! For the $, you can't go wrong!
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
I have a MGW shifter and love it. It is smooth, quiet and precise. It is an outstanding piece of work. I also installed it with the help of a friend. We were done in about two hours.
bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I have helped or installed all three.
MGW was a toughest install among the three. MGW once installed was great, I only got to drive it for a while since the car was not mine but I liked it.
The Hurst was the first short shift I have tried and the install was easier that the MGW due to installing only the stick. The shifting was not as tight as the MGW and there was a lot of vibration noise on accels. I have seen that Hurst has a kit to deaden the vibration with teflon but haven't seen one yet.
The Barton was just as easy to install as the Hurst on the V8, I did a V6 just this week and due to the centering springs the install took a little longer but again it was easier than the MGW because the barton was just a stick install. The stick also had more height adjustments than the rest. The Barton shifting was as clean as MGW with no noise or vib on the accels.
What does all this mean... I bought the Barton for my camaro. It came down to $ and cosmetics. The Barton was better looking to me, costs about $100 cheaper than the others, and the throw was just a tad shorter than the rest.
My advise is to get rid of that factory shifter as soon as possible. The cripness of the shifting is just too much to pass up. I love my Barton !
Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
darenf02

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP LS7 swapped
I'm having a Huge decision dilemma myself. The nostalgia in me whispers "Hurst Hurst Hurst" while the modern technology and comfort say "MGW MGW MGW" and "Barton Barton Barton." I'm getting confused with all the voices in my head.

So far my thoughts are this:
1. Hurst is classic and the name stands alone. Hate the rattle, but Hurst does offer current customers and ships with all new orders the noise reduction pack. Problem solved there. I'm still a little confused why they made a two-piece shift stick for this application though. Why not make a one-piece?? Possibly so they can offer different stick heights, etc, at some point? I don't know.
2. MGW has redesigned and replaced the entire housing NOT just the stick which not only combines shorter throw but also improves shifting comfort for daily driving. You get the best of both worlds. However, I don't like Any of their shift knobs.
3. Barton is a world-class manufacturer of items of much greater intricacy than simple shifters. Their quality and design is incredible. I love their standard round shift knob that comes with the kit, but I don't like Any of their other shift knobs.

I have an idea but to do it will cost $$$ that I would rather spend on speed parts for now instead of shifters (although the HORRID stock shifter knob absolutely drives me InSaNe every time I get in the car!!! My dad refers to things like this as "white elephants.")

Anyhooooooo..........that's the observations I've made so far. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm864 View Post
LS7 swap stage 3 cam, MSD intake, NW 103 TB, LME heads, JBA ceramic coated LT's 1 7/8" Flowmaster 3" w/high flow cats & X pipe, MPD Motorsports cowl induction hood, CAI, ZL1 front clip, Jet Mass-Air Sensor, rear valence, Stealth bulbs, 20% tint, taillight blackouts, side marker blackouts, modern SS emblem back, 427 rear emblem, S.S. rear spoiler, MGW shifter, black ZL1 replica wheels (wider), 160* thermostat, front firing 2x12" Rockford Fosgate subs, NA 619rwhp on Mustang Dyno
darenf02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Aaron1121

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
I already put my review in another thread- but here it is again:

I just installed the MGW shifter and SS Race knob on wednesday night. It is absolutely great!!!!!!!!

It makes driving the car a much different experience - All shifts, including the 2-3 shift are extremely fast, and the return to center feel is way better than stock. I've done a couple of good 2nd to 3rd tire chirps for the first time after installing this, because you can really keep the hammer down between shifts.

Even though the kit is a little more expensive and takes a little more time to install than the Hurst (since it is a full shifter replacement) I believe MGW is hands down a superior product. (I've driven both.) It is also great that MGW includes everything, including all of the dust boots and sound dampening materials.

Thanks Again!!
Aaron1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
If I remember right the retail on the Hurst is like 360+ and that is just the stick. The MGW is 350, and is the entire assembly.

I have the MGW and could NOT be happier, the throw is perfect, it is very solid, and George has EXCELLENT customer service. I just got the race knob too and it is the most comfortable knob I have ever used. MGW hit a homerun.

AND George has said that you can adjust the throw also! I don't think Barton and Hurst do that?
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
One thing to note about the MGW is it has adjustable throw...

Not sure if the others do....

I'm leaning towards MGW...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
11flat

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs m6
Only my 2 cents.

The Barton Is only $200, It does have adjustment. You can use the stock knob or the badass "SS" ball that comes with it. You can even use the MGW knob for that matter. It even comes with a money back guarantee if you don't like it. How can you go wrong!!!!

MGW Im sure is a good product. However I didn't want to spend $350 + $75.00 for a knob. Plus I like the look of the stick and ball set up.

People Buy Hurst for the name and the Nostalgia. ITS 2010 and the Hurst is probably made in China. Ive driven both the Hurst and the Barton. The Hurst can not compete In ANY form.

I dont know why anybody would spend an extra $150-$200. When you get so much more with the Barton.
11flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
2L82RUN

Drives: ABM SS/RS
I installed an MGW on my SS. I don't have any experience with Hurst or Barton, but I can definitely tell you the MGW completely changed the driving experience of my car. I haven't had any quick shift hangs since I installed the shifter. It's tight, short, and smooth. When I removed the stock shifter/housing, I was amazed by how poorly manufactured it was compared to the replacement MGW. The MGW as stated many times in this thread is a full housing replacement. Very well machined replacement. I don't regret for one second going with MGW!!! George and the staff at MGW are great as well and helpful in any situation. Only thing that sucks right now is the weather (snow) Cant get Cybil out and run through those gears!!!

JD
2L82RUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
lrc250
480 HP 2010 2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I decided to go with the Barton and I love the way it shifts and the engraved SS ball that it comes with. However I will point out that you will hear some vibration noises as well under hard acceleration. This doesn't bother me but other will not like it. Just want to be sure people get all of the facts.
3300:4/18/09
3400 (broadcast)April 25, 2009
3800 (produced):May 4, 2009 #7470
4200 (Shipped): June 1, 2009
5000 (At Dealer) June 9,2009

374.9 rwhp & 371.7 rwtq - bone stock @ 85 deg.
lrc250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
MGW

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHarriSS View Post
MGW here...it's sweet!
I've had it for a long time as a DD and it is SWEET! You will be stoked to have this shifter! Those dudes that have the_____shifter don't WTF is going on on!!
MGW FTW! For the $, you can't go wrong!
i know its hard to explain the differences and reason why we made a complete replacement. those that have just the shaft upgrades will not care if they like what they have but when they DO feel the difference with the added spring assist and the rock solid flex free shifting that this kit gives they will NOT be saying cant tell the difference,

george
MGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
I have helped or installed all three.
MGW was a toughest install among the three. MGW once installed was great, I only got to drive it for a while since the car was not mine but I liked it.
The Hurst was the first short shift I have tried and the install was easier that the MGW due to installing only the stick. The shifting was not as tight as the MGW and there was a lot of vibration noise on accels. I have seen that Hurst has a kit to deaden the vibration with teflon but haven't seen one yet.
The Barton was just as easy to install as the Hurst on the V8, I did a V6 just this week and due to the centering springs the install took a little longer but again it was easier than the MGW because the barton was just a stick install. The stick also had more height adjustments than the rest. The Barton shifting was as clean as MGW with no noise or vib on the accels.
What does all this mean... I bought the Barton for my camaro. It came down to $ and cosmetics. The Barton was better looking to me, costs about $100 cheaper than the others, and the throw was just a tad shorter than the rest.
My advise is to get rid of that factory shifter as soon as possible. The cripness of the shifting is just too much to pass up. I love my Barton !
I have to say I almost ended up buying the MGW, however the Barton is the more economical buy and comes with a better looking stick and knob. Everyone who has tried both says the same thing you do, that it feels better than the Hurst. I think you're one of the few who has installed the MGW and tried it out along with the competition. All in all Barton is making a name for himself and all of us early adopters have benefited from a quality machined product and a relatively low price in comparison to the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
One thing to note about the MGW is it has adjustable throw...

Not sure if the others do....

I'm leaning towards MGW...
The Barton has an adjustable throw, that can become shorter than the Hurst and MGW.

Last edited by Supermans; 01-02-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote