Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
IrishFlogger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM; 1999 S10
New Camaro - Questions

I bought my first Camaro back in December. It's a used 2010 2SS/RS L99 6.2L. At this time it has 33k miles. I'm starting to consider modding it know that my warranty will be up this year (maybe already is due to it being 3yrs)...

I want to add a CAI system to the car. I want something cost effective. I saw this CAI for sale online: http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item....FUeCQgodilAA-Q Curious to know if its any good? What are things to look for when picking out good mods? Also, it says that its easy to install yourself (in less than 15min). Is that normal for a CAI? Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm still pretty new to cars lol. Thanks
IrishFlogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Check out RotoFab. Great CAI, nice HP gains, and sexy looks. I installed mine in less then 30 mins, very simple. I get a ton of compliments on it at shows.Here's a pic of mine. Its all custom painted by myself but you get the basic look of it.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
IrishFlogger

Thanks! It looks great!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I would not go with that RPI intake. Doesn't even have a heat shield. They are a little more money, but it's hard to go wrong with one of the big brands like RotoFab or Cold Air Inc. I have the Cold Air Inc, and it's an easy install, shows good gains, fits like a glove and is excellent quality.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I would not go with that RPI intake. Doesn't even have a heat shield. They are a little more money, but it's hard to go wrong with one of the big brands like RotoFab or Cold Air Inc. I have the Cold Air Inc, and it's an easy install, shows good gains, fits like a glove and is excellent quality.
^^ This ^^

An intake without a heatshield is not nearly as effective since it is still pulling in air strictly from the engine compartment (which is very HOT air) - nothing "cold" about it. In my unprofessional opinion, replacing the stock air filter with a high performance one would achieve about as much as the filter you linked to. From what I've read, the stock intake is pretty efficient as stock intakes go.

I too have the CAI and it is a breeze to install - though a bit more effort if you get the air scoop, too. You will not only feel the difference, but it adds a nice bit of "growl" when you put the pedal down.

Oh - and none of these type intakes will void your warranty.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
CAI brand for what it's worth.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
GYac

Drives: 2010 2SS
CAI
GYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Macky

Drives: 2016 1SS, Garnet Red Tintcoat
CAI. Here is a pic of mine. It was easy to install, too. Good luck!
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
CAI and a scoop....nuff said.

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
CAI and a scoop....nuff said.
Does the CAI pull from the front of the car, and what is this scoop that you speak of?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Does the CAI pull from the front of the car, and what is this scoop that you speak of?
The CAI intake has an airbox that insulates the air coming in from the hot air in the engine compartment. It pulls air in from the front driver's side upper grille area. It is quite efficient and only takes about 15 minutes to install - fits beautifully.

Adding the Apex scoop is a bit more involved but actually directs the air from the lower grille, up through the plastic driver's side fender liner. Pulling from the lower grille area further isolates the incoming air from being heated by the hot engine compartment air, thus improving performance even more. A CAI w/ scoop requires replacing the existing windshield washer fluid reservoir with a smaller one (available from Apex and others as part of a kit). Installation for the scoop and W/W reservoir added another hour and 15 minutes (or so) to the installation, but well worth the time and money.

Name:  Install Complete.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  168.2 KB

Inside front driver's side fender view of scoop and w/w reservoir installed (plastic fender well removed). Installed fender well serves to direct air directly into air box.
Name:  012.JPG
Views: 495
Size:  199.0 KB
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
inf3rno

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
I heard a lot of good things about CAI. Installation took about 15-20mins as a newbie.

And without the insulation box, i think it wont be as efficient. As the name says COLD air intake, make sure its cold

It sounds good, looks good and the gains are great.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
IrishFlogger

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely going to consider all suggestions. Leaning more towards the Cold Air Inductions atm.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
irish your bumper to bumper is almost up not the drivetrain warranty and anyway a cold air induction or headers should not matter according to the magnuson moss act that they could not void the drivetrain warranty of 50,000 miles or five years.......
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote