Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
LongIslandCamaro

Drives: Camaro
What percent of your monthly income is spent on your camaro/insurance?

I finally got a good job and I make about $2000 a month (After taxes), im 21 and live at home because I am in school and have no expenses. (Edit: Good pay for someone still in school and only 21)

I am going to pick up my Camaro on Sunday and between insurance and monthly payments I should be paying about $500/ month.

This will be the first nice car I ever own.

My question is "Is 25% of my monthly income going towards car payments and insurance too much?" Thats the only thing Im nervous about with this decision.
LongIslandCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
I make about $3500 a month (my wife included) with a house payment 2 new car payments and insurance and we still make it by to have money to do other things. I think you'll be fine with that just make sure you don't blow too much extra money on mods when you decide to move out and get more bills for yourself. Spend some of that extra money you'll have to pay the car down quicker and get it paid off sooner. That's always a good option as well. Just make sure you budget, I've learned that lesson the hard way.
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
About 125%

...no but really. I'm in a similar situation, in school, this Camaro is the only thing I pay for (insurance, gas, maintenance, payments) and it's eating about 50% of my income. I really don't mind because I'm still saving a ton of money (to me) every month... and some how resisting the mod bug.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
whemming

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
Before Taxes -
Camaro = 5.8 %
Insurance = 0.8 %

After taxes -

Camaro = 8.75 %
Insurance = 1.25%

So right at 10% after taxes! ( This is just my income not counting wifes)

25% is very high, but If your living at home its doable. But if I could go back to 21 and living at home, I would of saved every dime I could

edit: So you found a camaro for ~ 350 a month? insurance on a 21yo will be at least 150 a month?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCamaro View Post
I finally got a good job and I make about $2000 a month, im 21 and live at home because I am in school and have no expenses.

I am going to pick up my Camaro on Sunday and between insurance and monthly payments I should be paying about $500/ month.

My question is "Is 25% of my monthly income going towards car payments and insurance too much?" Thats the only thing Im nervous about with this decision.
Yes 25% is quite high.

I have no car payment
Insurance is 1.29% (But that for 3 cars with full coverage), the Camaro only would be .54%

This amount is after taxes.

Last edited by nyrfan; 06-28-2013 at 08:36 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
I finally got a good job and I make about $2000 a month, im 21 and live at home because I am in school and have no expenses.

Well, is your $2000 POST or PRE tax? That will play a major role in this. Because it could be as high as 37% of your monthly income.

When i graduated from college, I had 2 job offers drop through (2009), and I got a job that was paying $16/hr, and I bought my Genesis coupe at $520/mo. It was uncomfortably tight, especially with school loans, and I HAD to live at home.

I then got a better job at $60K/yr, and with a car costing $520/mo and insurance at $100/mo, and rent at a low $700/mo, thats when it was finally a little easier, because then the car only accounted for ~13% POST tax.

I do better now, and the camaro is actually CHEAPER per month, insurance is cheaper, school loans until 2029 sadly, have a house, and make more. However, mod money never seems to grow fast enough lol With my fiance and myself, the camaro drops to ~5%.

Run an excel sheet and simulate your expenditures for a few months and see where you come out. Remember to overestimate EVERYTHING. Just wait, soon you'll be kicked out of hte house and an apt and food and utilities aren't cheap. Welcome to the real world kiddo...it sucks hahaha (I'm 26...)
Old 06-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
LongIslandCamaro

Thanks for all the answers. I make $2000 after taxes and my parents already told me they are never kicking me out, i can leave when I want (which will be when I have enough money for a condo or house) I live in NY so everything is super expensive so its not un common for kids to live at home for awhile. My 25 year old succesful friend stilll lives at home
Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Swacer

Quote:
Thanks for all the answers. I make $2000 after taxes and my parents already told me they are never kicking me out, i can leave when I want (which will be when I have enough money for a condo or house) I live in NY so everything is super expensive so its not un common for kids to live at home for awhile. My 25 year old succesful friend stilll lives at home
Never really meant your parents will be like GET OUT!

But when going to the club...its not exactly awesome to pick up a girl and say...lets go back to my place...um...where my parents live

haha
Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
whemming

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
Quote:

Yea there is a movie about that called "Failure to Launch" Just Joking couldn't resist
Old 06-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
LongIslandCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Never really meant your parents will be like GET OUT!

But when going to the club...its not exactly awesome to pick up a girl and say...lets go back to my place...um...where my parents live

haha

haha yea thats what sucks but when im drunk and horny i would probably end up taking her home and trying to hide her lmao
Old 06-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
Swacer

Quote:
haha yea thats what sucks but when im drunk and horny i would probably end up taking her home and trying to hide her lmao
Well that escalated quickly
Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Probably about 15% for me.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Car is paid off and insurance is $100, so roughly 2%, add in gas and it's about 4%

When I was in college though it was sucking up about 35% between making double payments and gas and insurance.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #14
Elementkng20
HTCC: canthonyIOM27

Drives: 2012 IOM 1LT/V6/A6
For me, I got my 2012 Camaro around $365/mo two weeks ago, but I refinanced it down to $341/mo, insurance is $101/mo here in Texas (50/100/50) and I'm 27.

I bring home around $2,900/mo after taxes. It's been pretty crazy though. We just bought a house and two cars about two months after the house.

My fiance pays her own car though, but I pay the mortgage.
Elementkng20 is offline   Reply With Quote