Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Chance03

Drives: 2011 Synergy green M6
parking garage dust

Hey guys so i just moved into an apt in downtown denver with an underground parking garage about 2 months ago. After getting back from a week vacay the car is absolutely filthy with a thick layer of nasty dust. Its synergy green so it really shows. Other than a car cover whats the best route to keeping my baby protected from scratching and dulling of the paint.
Chance03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Yes, it will be your best bet if you continue to park there or find another area that is open ( not underground ). The dust is not good for your car and not good for anybody to breath.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
As far as a car cover, that would cause more harm than good if you are constantly putting it on and taking it off. I wouldn't think about putting a cover on my car unless it was garaged 24/7 when not being driven. Your best bet would to be to try and find a cheap garaging unit close to your apartment. OR you can buy a California Duster. Junkman has a video showing the proper way to use it. OR Adam's selling a product called Waterless Wash that works wonders and is safe for something like you are talking about. Other than those options all I can say is to give it a bath a few times a week.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Angelo@Autopia

Like I said, cover the car or move it to another location, because of the cement and dirt from the garage will screw with your paint. I would rather take care of a few minor swirls or light scratches then seeing my paint in do time get ruin.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
One word, COVER!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
You guys don't realize how much damage to you paint a car cover can do....@Angelo, you will be taking care of scratches/swirls constantly if you were to put on/remove a car cover every day.OP I recommend not going with a car cover. It is your choice, but I'm sure others will chime in. A California Duster, Adam's Waterless Wash or even some other product from another company will do better than a car cover.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Angelo@Autopia

I do know, but in the situation the OP is in I recommend it with a great cover from CoverCraft. If he was just parking outside then no to a cover.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
2ss2012

Drives: 2012 2ss ahen grey
DO NOT GET A CAR COVER!!! SWIRL CITY
2ss2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Just keep a good wax on it and get yourself a California Duster
Old 04-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
I personally would not recommend a califorina duster for your situation. They are effective at removing dust and leaving the paint clean but you greatly increase your risk of creating swirl marks. Cali Dusters are yarn that has been treated with parrifin wax, so you are dry wiping the dust against the paint.

A good option would be to team up a waterless wash product with some plush microfiber towels.

Waterless Washes are similar to a quick detailer but their job is provide an increased level of lubricity to safely remove moderate dirt, grit, and grime. Light dust will provide no problem.

Of the Waterless Wash products on the market, BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash stands as a product that is really designed for the enthusiast, the guy who cares about maintaining a swirl free, high-gloss finish.

The secret of Wet Diamond Waterless Wash is that it uses the same polymers in as BLACKFIRE paint sealants. Everytime you mist Wet Diamond Waterless Wash onto the paint, thousands of Wet Diamond Polymers go to work. Some adhere to the grit and grime, others adhere to the paint, creating the barrier needed to avoid micro-scratching. As you lightly buff the finish with Wet Diamond Waterless Wash, the polymers on the paint begin to cure, adding a small layer of shine and protection to the paint.

Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote:

Quote:
CREATE WHIPLASH that has been years in the making!

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash is high lubricity waterless wash uses BLACKFIRE's proprietary Wet Diamond polymers to encapsulate dirt and dust so they wipe away with out scratching. The Wet Diamond polymers also bond to the paint to reinforce existing protection and create a whiplash inducing shine.

I should note that a lot of testing and development went into this product. A LOT! This uses the same BLACKFIRE propretiary polymers as Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. Not only does the amazingly high slip (lubricity and resulting slickness) create BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond's famous "unique" shine but it also does an amazing job of creating a barrier on the paint's surface to prevent the dirt from scouring.

Waterless Wash products are limited. If you use them on a heavily soiled car you will likely overide the abillity of the product to remove dirt safely. BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Spray is no exception, it does have it's limit. However, in my testing, its limit has been pushed higher and it handles moderate soiling (when used with a plush towel and proper technique) with no scratching. As a benefit you get to enjoy the same shine, slickness, and water beading characteristics as Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection!

Procedure:

Start with a light to moderately soiled vehicle. Heavy dirt, grime, or grit should be flushed away using more traditional wash methods.

Mist BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash onto the surface to be cleaned. The amount you use and the section you use it on will depend on on the amount of soiling present. The AMG was pretty soiled so I worked a smaller section ( 2' x 2') and sprayed about 4 squeezed worth of product on the paint.

On heavily soiled paint allow to dwell 10 seconds (about long enough to set the bottle down and make sure your towel is folded properly). The Wet Diamond polymers are hyper reactive (the same reason you can wipe Wet Diamond Sealant off the paint immediately) so they immediately go to work encapsulating the grime and bonding. The same process is occurring on the paint as well.

Now lightly agitate (no pressure!) the surface with a plush microfiber towel such as the Cobra Supreme 530.

You will notice that has you wipe the Wet Diamond Waterless Wash some of the dirt will seem to disappear. This is because it is being lifted into the microfiber (and in some ways bonding to the fiber to prevent scratching). You may also notice the product 'flashing off' on the surface, it can almost resemble steaming. Again this is normal and engineered to happen to allow you to use enough product to remove dirt with out running into steaking. That is the Wet Diamond polymers at work.

Now flip the towel over to a clean side and lightly buff the remaining residue to streak-free shine to create WHIPLASH!

Depending on the size of the vehicle and the amount of soiling it may take 2-4 towels. The end result will be nothing short of spectacular.

Our CEO was so impressed he had me do the rest of the AMG!

Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
Angelo@Autopia

Why I recommend a cover, because of the cement dust and other junk will attack a car's finish. These tiny particles can cause severe damage to your vehicle when it gets wet ( Rain ) when your driving home or from a storm if your parking near a opening. I would try to protect the car first and then take of any minor swirls you might get from a quality car cover to protect your finish.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
I personally would not recommend a califorina duster for your situation. They are effective at removing dust and leaving the paint clean but you greatly increase your risk of creating swirl marks.
I totally disagree. When used properly and at the correct time, a CA duster is ideal for remove loose dust. The problem with the duster is that people use them incorrectly. That's why I made these videos to address the proper use of the duster, couple with a waterless wash product. I do this and have the perfect paint to show for it.

I only recommend that you use a cover immediately after you wash the car. If the car has been driven or has set around without a cover for a day, it is now dirty and you never cover a dirty car.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I totally disagree. When used properly and at the correct time, a CA duster is ideal for remove loose dust. The problem with the duster is that people use them incorrectly. That's why I made these videos to address the proper use of the duster, couple with a waterless wash product. I do this and have the perfect paint to show for it.

I only recommend that you use a cover immediately after you wash the car. If the car has been driven or has set around without a cover for a day, it is now dirty and you never cover a dirty car.
That is the beauty of detailing, we can all use what we think works best for our paint. After all its supposed be enjoyable.

From a logical standpoint, its easy to make a comparison.

A Cali Duster is yarn covered in wax what must be dry wiped across the paint.

A waterless wash product uses microfiber (soften than yarn) and a product engineered to provide lubricity to avoid dry wiping.

I'm sure a California Duster could be used on harder paint finishes (maybe a Corvette or Camaro) and if used carefully no inflict any damage (provided the paint wasn't too dirty to begin with).

Waterless Wash products (particulary modern ones that benefit from the latest in surfacant and polymer technologies) can be used to wash moderately dirty paint.

Again, no right or wrong answers here, just facts and opinions.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
I just knew "The Junkman" would get in on this one!