Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
Bowtie Jim

Drives: Two 2018 Silverado's
New Guy here dipping my toes in the water

Little background. I'm 56 and I'm a Chevy Truck guy. Owned probably 20 Chevy trucks over the years from a 71 shortbed with a 400 small block(burnout king), 73 longbed with a 454(also a burnout master) , a few 80's Scottsdale's (dogs), a couple 90's 4x4's and at 11 Silverado's from 99 and up, a couple Duramaxes to the two 2018 Silverado's I own now.
I bleed Chevy , and I'm Chevy to the Bone.
I was thinking about getting a C6 Vette this spring. Never owned one and wanted a 2012-2013 Grand Sport . Well I decided it was going to be more than I could afford. $32-35 grand or more for a low miler. So for now I put the Vette idea to bed for a few years .
I've always liked Camaros and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one this spring . Gen 5 is what my budget($20-23 grand) will allow. Must be an SS with 6.2 and automatic. No ragtops.
I will be on here to get schooled on the Gen 5 Camaro.
I've been lurking and posting on Corvetteforums.com for a few months thinking about a Vette. Well I threw in the towel in last few days and decide to get a Camaro. Some of the guys on there think I'm a fool for considering a Gen 5. They say they are heavy, slower than Vettes and the rear visibility sucks.
I already knew this and I'm not going to let them detract me from getting one . I've never owned a Vette or a Camaro. In fact the only car I ever owned was a 72 Chevelle with a 350 back in the early 80's( another burnout machine). Like I said I'm a truck guy. But I need to go have some fun for a change. I just want a weekend cruiser I can roll out of the garage on Saturday and go cruise. Not racing around but not afraid to hammer on it either. You know do a few burnouts here and there. Just have some fun that's all.
I'm going to get serious about looking for a clean low mileage 2012-2014 SS in the next few months.
I'll have tons of questions too.
Out of the gate I really want to know what are the trim levels. Vettes are trimmed 1LT, 2LT, 3 LT and so on. How are the Camaros trim levels ? I have no clue. I really would like one that is somewhat loaded. Leather seats , and all the rest of the goodies. I know the 6.2 liter is a 400 horse L99 right? How about gearing? I don't want gears like 3.08 or 3 23. How deep do they go?
I'm into the truck forums and the Vette forums. I really enjoy the back and forth. So I think I'll be pretty comfortable here . Like I said I'm Chevy to the Bone and know how to spin a wrench or two. Also I am not fond of Ford's. Found on the road dead I always say. Sorry for the novel too . I'm Bowtie Jim , glad to be here.
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
Welcome man I suggest a 2015 imo best year, since you want a ss :( they come in 2 trims 1ss and 2ss.
1ss cloth seats no hud no heated seats and more pretty basic.
2ss all the goodies leather heated seats heads up display.
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Imho... 2013 is the best year 👍
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
no its 2015 all the way...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
Bowtie Jim

I test drove a 2019 SS the other day. If I didn't just buy the two new Silverados I have, I would have bought it . It was badass. I just can't see another payment.
I want to pay cash for the Camaro. Around 20-23 grand.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
Zezima

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
Whatever you buy, make sure it has the RS Package. So many people spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on this forum upgrading to RS equipment. I love my RS Package and think it is a must have on the Camaro.
Zezima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #7
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
1SS or 2SS with RS package, 1LE but that's M6. All A6 are 3.23. M6 are 3.45. 1LE are 3.91.

From what you described, you want an A6 2SS with RS package.

I may be partial, but I think the 2013 is the best year. Last year with those tail lights and first year with electric assist steering. First year with Crystal Red Tintcoat.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Vegas Bound; 01-05-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #8
Bowtie Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezima View Post
Whatever you buy, make sure it has the RS Package. So many people spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on this forum upgrading to RS equipment. I love my RS Package and think it is a must have on the Camaro.
Fill me in. I've heard of it but never knew exactly what it was.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:36 PM   #9
Bowtie Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
1SS or 2SS with RS package, 1LE but that's M6. All A6 are 3.27. M6 are 3.45. 1LE are 3.91.

From what you described, you want an A6 2SS with RS package.

I may be partial, but I think the 2013 is the best year. Last year with those tail lights and first year with electric assist steering. First year with Crystal Red Tintcoat.

Good luck with your search.
3.27 only? How is it out of the hole?
Old 01-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #10
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
how much of a difference do the 3.91s make over the 3.27
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #11
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Not bad, the first gear in the L99 engine is different from the M6 so it's got a bit more kick in the pants.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:43 PM   #12
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
If you want the most highly optioned car you can get, you’ll want a 2SS with the RS package. That’ll get you leather, HUD, halos, etc.
In terms of gearing, the auto comes with a 3.27 and manual comes with 3.45 unless you get a 1/LE in which case that has the 3.91’s. Many people put 3.73 or 3.91 gears in their cars to give it that extra umph. I have 3.91’s in my auto but of course it depends on your end goal, if you want to end up with a decent amount of power, a lot of people would recommend 3.73’s but if you just want to put some bolt ons on it then you’d love 3.91’s. I did 3.91’s in my car when I was bolt ons and the difference was night and day although now that the car is supercharged and has a hard time hooking in first or second. Just something to consider.
The manuals come with an LS3 which is a more traditional LS that you’re probably more familiar with. The auto is an L99 which has variable valve timing and displacement on demand (cuts down to 4cyl to save fuel. Many people tune this out immediately). The VVT makes putting a cam in an auto a bit more complicated but it allows for a better power curve that many people find to be more favorable, although you can still do an LS3 conversion but I digress.
I’m sure you’ll love a 5th gen as everyone on this forum does. There’s an endless amount of great information.
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #13
Zezima

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim View Post
Fill me in. I've heard of it but never knew exactly what it was.
RS Package:
20 Inch wheels
HID headlights with halo
LED taillamps
boy color roof ditch
different grill with chrome strip
body color spoiler
body color antenna
It would cost 5000-6000 to buy the parts if you didn't get the RS, the package is around 1200 iirc
Zezima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #14
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim View Post
3.27 only? How is it out of the hole?
I have no idea, the only thing still original on my car is the body.

Many people swap the 3.23 for a 3.91, so I hear.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote