Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-23-2018, 07:29 AM   #15
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
OEM Trofeo's are a summer-only tire. They wear out rather fast being a TW60 tire. People don't really complain about them much, as most guys only drive the cars when it's nice out. You'll have a hard time finding them though. I bought mine with Potenza RE050's on it. They are TW140. I competed in an autocross and the tires worked well, but were technically "illegal" for my class. I switched to a Potenza RE71 TW200 tire. The ride is a little different. It's a little spongy compared to the 050's. I haven't had a chance to push them hard but when I do I will chime in with feedback.

As far as aftermarket parts.........

1. I wish there was a way to make the car start up in "RACE MODE 5" instead of having to toggle through to it every time I start the car. Not sure if you could switch it with a tuning reflash or if someone could develop a tiny obd port plug-in.

2. The "CAMARO 427" letters in red on the fuel rail covers wear off after 100 miles.

3. Anything you could make to lighten the car would be welcome. Maybe a rear seat delete plate out of carbon fiber? Not really sure how much the rear seats weigh, but nobody sits in back anyway.

EDIT- the clutch feel is normal, it doesn't really have a lot of engagement or give a lot of feedback. Also, any clunking you hear when cornering real slow is simply the Torsen differential disengaging.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:09 AM   #16
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
Glad to see someone here got it, after walking around that car for an hour I do believe that it was well taken care of. I was expecting it not to be that nice when I was on my way to take a look, lack of storage space for it is what keep me from going farther.... Congrats and I hope you enjoy!

I did not drive it but did start it and it sounded just like the LS7 should to me, clean oil and no weird noises. Clutch felt normal just by pushing it with it running but thats as far as I went, these cars do take a bit to get used to how the clutch feels.... they feel like engagement is closer to the top of the travel and are fast acting at that point or quick motion but its nothing you can't get used to after a few drives.

Any regrets on selling your 91 Z? Ive still got my Iroc that I ordered and can't seem to let go or want to.
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #17
ronchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
OEM Trofeo's are a summer-only tire. They wear out rather fast being a TW60 tire. People don't really complain about them much, as most guys only drive the cars when it's nice out. You'll have a hard time finding them though. I bought mine with Potenza RE050's on it. They are TW140. I competed in an autocross and the tires worked well, but were technically "illegal" for my class. I switched to a Potenza RE71 TW200 tire. The ride is a little different. It's a little spongy compared to the 050's. I haven't had a chance to push them hard but when I do I will chime in with feedback.

As far as aftermarket parts.........

1. I wish there was a way to make the car start up in "RACE MODE 5" instead of having to toggle through to it every time I start the car. Not sure if you could switch it with a tuning reflash or if someone could develop a tiny obd port plug-in.

2. The "CAMARO 427" letters in red on the fuel rail covers wear off after 100 miles.

3. Anything you could make to lighten the car would be welcome. Maybe a rear seat delete plate out of carbon fiber? Not really sure how much the rear seats weigh, but nobody sits in back anyway.

EDIT- the clutch feel is normal, it doesn't really have a lot of engagement or give a lot of feedback. Also, any clunking you hear when cornering real slow is simply the Torsen differential disengaging.

I agree with the PTM mode, that is a pain but it makes you learn how to find the mode you want faster..If there is a way Id like to hear it as well.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #18
pat_t

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
I had seen this car before the thread was posted and this lit a fire under me to buy it before someone else. It was delivered today and I haven’t had too much time with it. Thanks to the previous owner and the OP for making me feel comfortable about the purchase. I remember watching the announcement of the Z/28 and have wanted one since. My last Camaro was a 91 Z28 which I owned for 15 years but sold 5 years ago.

What are some of the must do mods? Already have the wicker bill on the way.

Lastly I produce aftermarket parts for the Vipers and hope to develop some for The Z/28 / Camaro as well - are there any products that aren’t available? Any weaknesses with the car that could be addressed with a higher quality solution? Once I have some products for the Camaro I will become a site sponsor.

Thanks
Doug
Congrats on your lovely AGM Doug.

Had a quick look at your parts for Vipers, looks like good stuff.. looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the Z!

I have modded quite a lot from standard, I wouldn't necessarily describe anything as standard as 'weaknesses' but I did find both the standard seats and steering wheel much too large for my liking so changed them.

I'm still waiting on a set of Moreno Camber plates. If there was an equally good alternative camber plate that ideally lowered the front of the car by 10mm on the standard Multimatic DSSV strut I'd buy it in a heartbeat!!
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #19
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Thanks to all, I’m going to wrap my head around the car as soon as I can.

ronchev, I loved th 91 but I barely have time for 1 fun car let alone 3. If you can keep it and enjoy it go for it but I couldn’t and decided to let someone else have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
Congrats on your lovely AGM Doug.

Had a quick look at your parts for Vipers, looks like good stuff.. looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the Z!

I have modded quite a lot from standard, I wouldn't necessarily describe anything as standard as 'weaknesses' but I did find both the standard seats and steering wheel much too large for my liking so changed them.

I'm still waiting on a set of Moreno Camber plates. If there was an equally good alternative camber plate that ideally lowered the front of the car by 10mm on the standard Multimatic DSSV strut I'd buy it in a heartbeat!!
Pat, looking at your Instagram you’ve done some impressive mods/parts and seem very capable. I may be contacting you on some things in the future.

Doug

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #20
ronchev

Doug,

Would you have any idea on who's hood badges that are on your car? I wasn't sure if those were 2008 Z06 badge or aftermarket but do like how bold they look.