Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 09-13-2015, 11:45 PM   #225
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I was thinking that, but didn't know if it was too much for what I have. If that's possible. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2015, 12:17 AM   #226
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
We built a five gallon mineral oil filled aquarium rig once just too see if we could. Fans slowed down and the SATA HD only made it about 2 weeks submerged. Nobody wanted me to sink a solid state. We replaced the HD and it still probably runs. It did need a better circulation system and oil wicking was an issue. It was fun and spent more money on oil than parts.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:57 PM   #227
Donald

Drives: Just a dream...
Been a couple of years... Forgive me if I list something screwy

AMD 8120
16gb ram
Asus mb (MA57?)
ATI 5500 vga card
128gb SSD Samsung
1tb buffalo NAS
Generic tower & PS (rosewill tower I believe)
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #228
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
I have a dilemma.

So I recently purchased a *USED* -Alienware 15 FHD 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i5 4210, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Silver and Black) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M with 2GB GDDR5 RAM" for about $1050.00.

I am now thinking that I should just pay the extra difference and get this unit below
"Alienware 17 ANW17-2136SLV 17 Inch Laptop (2.50GHz Intel Core i7 4710HQ processor, 8GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 3 GB GDDR5 Windows 8.1 64-Bit)"

Would I notice a HUGE difference in speed between the one I want to get? Anyone here know? A lot has changed since I was a PC Gamer (7 1/2 years ago). I've been a Console Gamer that long and I'm not familiar with all the newer technologies.
Short answer: No.

The i7 is faster, but it's speed won't come much into play for video games. It will work better on encoding video, graphic design, etc. The graphics card is a negligible difference. If you could figure out how to break even, it would be a good swap, but not if you're paying anything more.

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #229
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Quote:
So I ended up requesting a return on Amazon. The Seller told me that he would refund me however would MINUS money when it came to the shipping and handling charges. I agreed and understand he'll take out about 20 to 40 dollars from the total cost.

However the Seller told me he would inspect everything (meaning inspect the Alienware 15 Laptop) to make sure everything is good and give me back a reasonable refund.

At that time I was like, whaaaaaaa? I EXPECT the full refund amount PRIOR to me making the confirmation to purchase the Laptop on Amazon. I did tell him that I could always REFUSE package on delivery in turn/in theory the package was never accepted and a refund would be put on my credit card since I technically never opened the package or touched it with my DNA lol.

The UPS Driver told me this by the way to just refuse on delivery which would be this Monday. I've learned my lesson not to purchase high end Computers from a 3rd Party on Amazon! IT seems like it's more of a problem then good almost as if they can dictate how much to give you back so they can profit on you either way...that's a bunch of bullshit.

I'm going to go through DELL DIRECT and get a 1 year warrenty and a Alienware 17 i7 6th Generation Pentium.
Probably a good call going Dell Direct. I will say that I will never own another 17" gaming laptop. I have an MSI GT70 and that thing is a monster. I hate taking it places with me.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #230
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Quote:
Yeah, ......The guy I purchased from on Amazon is being somewhat weird about the return. I think he's not too happy but I completly understand. I'm going to simply refuse package so technically I never even touched the laptop so he can't say that it's damaged on my end or what not (if in fact it was).

I just ordered the Alienware 17 with 16GB of RAM, the UHD Monitor 4k, the GTX Nvidia ...I can't wait. I did look at MSI and they're excellent systems too just like the ASUS ROG.

Dell gave me a student discount and free 2nd day shipping and 5% discount on next product. I'll be taking my Dell places with me even though it's a heavy weight too! But hell if Airborne carries over 60 pounds of weight on their back every day, I can carry a simply 10 pounds of weight on mine hahahaa.
I'll tell ya...For my TDY's I bought a little ASUS Windows 8.1 convertible tablet...It's tiny and weighs next to nothing. Between that little tablet, my NVidia Shield Portable, and PS Vita, I never have a problem with gaming when I'm TDY.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #231
PoorMansCamaro

Ok, so something fried in my computer and not sure what it is. There was a loud pop and everything shutdown. After unplugging it and letting it sit a few hours, I opened it up and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Decided to plug it back in and the motherboard light came on. I tried the pc power button and nothing. No lights, beeps, nothing. I replaced the PSU, even though I knew power was getting to the motherboard, just to rule it out completely. Replaced it with a brand new PSU, so that rules that out. I took everything out of the case, including the motherboard and don't see any scorch marks or anything out of the ordinary.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #232
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
Pops are normally capacitors. Was there a little smoke too? Most likely need a new mobo. If the psu is replaced that's the only other thing that would stop a power on. It may light up but there are a ton of circuits in a motherboard and you have a bad one.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:25 PM   #233
PoorMansCamaro

Yup, a little smoke as well.

Yeah, the computer is 5 years old, so I'm looking at just building my own.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing, to build from the ground, up?

List of everything I want to get or have for a gaming pc:

i7-4790
Msi z97 g45 mobo
Gtx 960 graphics card
Corsair 16gb ram ddr3
1tb HDD 7200rpm sata 3.0 gb/s
Thermaltake 850w psu

As for the case, I'll have to go to fry's and see what they have. I know I need an ATX case. Hopefully find one with the fans already in it. What else is necessary?

Last edited by PoorMansCamaro; 12-18-2015 at 09:47 AM.
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #234
PoorMansCamaro

Oh yeah, need a dvd drive I guess. I'll just get a cheap one.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #235
PoorMansCamaro

Ok, picked up a case and put in the dell optical drive. I pretty much have what I need, minus motherboard and processor. Lol

Old 12-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #236
Atra

Drives: 16' 1SS M6
Just found this forum section. I am a pretty hardcore gamer and build custom gaming rigs as a side job. I will get some pics in here soon.
Atra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #237
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
All I'll add is I'm not sure why a 960 with an i7 and a z97 mobo. I didn't read much into the thread to see if you do hard gaming or not.

Things I'd change - Drop the thermaltake 850 for something cheaper and around a 500w if the 960 is all you're going to run. It'll be plenty to handle what you're throwing at it. 550 or 600 if you're just needing peace of mind.

Aw, just go hang out on reddit/r/buildapc and then go to pcpartpicker.com and build from there. Try it. I guarantee you'll end up spending less money and get a better build.

FWIW - here's what I just built with my two sons today.

i3-6100 - Skylake
MSI Z170-A Pro
G.Skill DDR4 2800 (8) GB
Seagate 1TB HDD
EVGA 500W Bronze PSU
R9 380 4GB

Should run almost every title at 45-100+ fps on high and ultra settings. Locked Skylake processors can now be overclocked as well.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #238
PoorMansCamaro

Gaming PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjak55 View Post
All I'll add is I'm not sure why a 960 with an i7 and a z97 mobo. I didn't read much into the thread to see if you do hard gaming or not.

Things I'd change - Drop the thermaltake 850 for something cheaper and around a 500w if the 960 is all you're going to run. It'll be plenty to handle what you're throwing at it. 550 or 600 if you're just needing peace of mind.

Aw, just go hang out on reddit/r/buildapc and then go to pcpartpicker.com and build from there. Try it. I guarantee you'll end up spending less money and get a better build.

FWIW - here's what I just built with my two sons today.

i3-6100 - Skylake
MSI Z170-A Pro
G.Skill DDR4 2800 (8) GB
Seagate 1TB HDD
EVGA 500W Bronze PSU
R9 380 4GB

Should run almost every title at 45-100+ fps on high and ultra settings. Locked Skylake processors can now be overclocked as well.

Thanks for the input! I already have the 960, but plan on upgrading in the future or just adding another. But that's way further down the road. And I already have the 850w as well. I basically have everything but the mobo and processor. I want to get some of the higher end stuff for upgrading in the future.

Oh, and I'll be playing some pretty graphic intensive games, as well as streaming video at the same time, and editing some videos later down the road.