Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:34 AM   #267
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Vlad View Post
Engine's prettier than the car. I like that they gave the Mustang some more oompf (I like it even though I hate Fords as a rule), but the overall package just isn't that attractive...especially compared to the Camaro and Chally.
+1. The car itself looks weaker compared to other recent years to me, like the edgy lines are smudged. It looks less "muscle car" to me than it recently used to.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:58 AM   #268
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
the people who want to seriously "play" will simply move on to the larger block.

As for the lesser people who "only" want 600-750 rwhp will be ok with FI and some pistons.

Okay, but that's still, IMHO, screwing over yoru customer base.

"Oh, you want more displacment then this recently, brand new released 5.0? Well, you'll have to settle for a new block. Sorry. We didn't leave any room for you to play."

Kinda like that bank commercial where the guy asks the little girl if she wants to ride the bike. Of course she does, and off she goes, kinda. Well, she's only allowed to ride in that little square after all.

This 5.0 is the same way. And just how expensive is it to reline a cylinder with a spray in sleeve? And for what? Maybe a few hundreths? Thousandnths? (<---yeah, i'm sure i misspelled that)

Anyway, I appreciate the hp wars are back, in fact, I'm loving them. This however is kinda a slap in the face of everybody waiting on the 5.0s return, the gleam in their eyes waiting to bore/storke these bad boys out to 306, 330, and other sizes I've heard of in the past, only to get told....ummmmm, no, ain't happening.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #269
mrray13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super83Z View Post
Is that 5 injectors on each side I'm seeing?

Probably for cold weather starting. I seem to remember when Tuned Port came out, there was an extra runner/injector for that reason.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:02 AM   #270
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
+1. The car itself looks weaker compared to other recent years to me, like the edgy lines are smudged. It looks less "muscle car" to me than it recently used to.
Yeah, I agree. Giving the car more power, but giving it a less tough look. It does not look intimidating at all especially from the rear. Not saying it doesn't look good, just not muscular. Come to think of it, that may be good.
Kind of like seeing someone you think is a wimp, but in reality could probably kick your ass.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #271
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
Nice intake port design, straight drop
You would say that if they showed you a picture of a 1980 yugo motor and called it the new 5.0.

BTW your the first person to my knowledge to call an intake port design "dope". LOL
Old 12-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #272
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Love beautiful lines on a car just to be muddled up by a damn radio antenna! My .02
Old 12-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #273
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
you gotta mod that rear to make it look decent. first, short antenna like they've got for the 350Zs, next, remove the GT badge and put a black panel in its place. imo, that makes it look better.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:57 AM   #274
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
You would say that if they showed you a picture of a 1980 yugo motor and called it the new 5.0.

BTW your the first person to my knowledge to call an intake port design "dope". LOL
I didn't use the word "dope"... I said "straight drop" as in straight vertical port into the intake valves... pay attention.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:00 AM   #275
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Okay, but that's still, IMHO, screwing over yoru customer base.

"Oh, you want more displacment then this recently, brand new released 5.0? Well, you'll have to settle for a new block. Sorry. We didn't leave any room for you to play."

Kinda like that bank commercial where the guy asks the little girl if she wants to ride the bike. Of course she does, and off she goes, kinda. Well, she's only allowed to ride in that little square after all.

This 5.0 is the same way. And just how expensive is it to reline a cylinder with a spray in sleeve? And for what? Maybe a few hundreths? Thousandnths? (<---yeah, i'm sure i misspelled that)

Anyway, I appreciate the hp wars are back, in fact, I'm loving them. This however is kinda a slap in the face of everybody waiting on the 5.0s return, the gleam in their eyes waiting to bore/storke these bad boys out to 306, 330, and other sizes I've heard of in the past, only to get told....ummmmm, no, ain't happening.
Not everyone is a hardcore drag racing supercharging engine block boring maniac especially with a brand new car and trust me the compression will not deter anyone from buying the car and calling the 5.0 a failure.

"oh man this car can't handle 20lbs of boost off the showroom floor? why did they even make it!"

Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #276
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Not everyone is a hardcore drag racing supercharging engine block boring maniac especially with a brand new car and trust me the compression will not deter anyone from buying the car and calling the 5.0 a failure.

"oh man this car can't handle 20lbs of boost off the showroom floor? why did they even make it!"

+1.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #277
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
I think everyone knows why they chose yellow.
I was about to answer but you put it to words better.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #278
bpmurr
The Enemy ;)

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Send a message via AIM to bpmurr
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Yeah, I agree. Giving the car more power, but giving it a less tough look. It does not look intimidating at all especially from the rear. Not saying it doesn't look good, just not muscular. Come to think of it, that may be good.
Kind of like seeing someone you think is a wimp, but in reality could probably kick your ass.
It's funny you say this because a lot of people say the car looks tougher and more aggressive. Even more so with the GT500. I always get a kick out of when Camaro guys talk about the rear. The area of the Camaro that could use some improvement as well.
2015 GT PP
2014 GT500 SVTPP/Track Pack
2013 Boss 302
2011 GT500 SVTPP
2010 GT500
2005 GT
Old 12-31-2009, 12:56 PM   #279
mrray13

Quote:

That's true. Then again, alot of people do indeed mod these things right out of the blocks. My point is, according to what was stated earlier, Ford has taken away one potential mod that is used in these Pony wars. If this block is at it's limits size wise, it puts a damper on people wanting to tweak, and makes them look at other options, like buying a completely different block, ie; the 5.4 mentioned above. To me, that is kinda a slap in the face when people have been waiting for the 5.0 to return, and now, all it'll ever be is 5.0.

As far as the blower comment goes, I have no clue, and won't pretend to even know what or what not this block can handle forced. The previous generations, 4.6, handled boost quite well and loved it, I'd assume this one will too. Not part of my arguement. I mean my 3.6 has a slightly higher compression ratio and it's starting to get boosted with good results. Although with DI, it is a bit of a different animal.

I'm also not trying to call the 5.0 a failure, quit attempting to put words on my screen, lol. I'm bringing up a valid point that any gearhead will look at, and that's the fact the new Coyote block is already at it's limits bore size. That's it, plain and simple. And yes, IMO, I think it'll hurt some sales, because there are those that think bigger is better, and if you can't go bigger, why bother. All in all, it will not keep the mainstreme public from buying the car, and adding a CAI, exhaust and tune. I get that.

Now, do you get what I'm attempting to type?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:57 PM   #280
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
It's funny you say this because a lot of people say the car looks tougher and more aggressive. Even more so with the GT500. I always get a kick out of when Camaro guys talk about the rear. The area of the Camaro that could use some improvement as well.
Fair enough. The tail lights are the thing I liked the least about the concept and the production fifth gen. I'd like to see some round ones like the 70-72 Camaros, but that's getting into Vette territory. Eh, maybe on the sixth gen.