Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
“Big” centrifigual superchargers on low boost?

Since I’m currently doing some beta testing with a “new to market” centri, and I have no personal experience with other “big” centris, I’ve come to you guys for assistance.

For those who run or have run the F1X, or YSI-B centris, have you ever set them up on “low boost” or with a big pulley? Like for example: Run low boost until your forged shortblock is ready, or until you can afford one. Sounds pretty common...

I’m curious when these blowers are outside of their efficiency range. I’m assuming they hit softer or take longer to make power with a big pulley. Hence the need for the D1X or J trim blowers.

There may be a solution to bridge the gap between “streetable” blower and “track” blower.

What if you could buy one blower that hits as quick as a P1SC, and also outflows the F1X?

What pulley made your big blower a turd?

Thanks for your feedback.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
Had a ecs kit novi 1500 with a 3.33" blower pulley and 7.5" crank which is spinning it around max rated rpm, made 14lbs. Swapped to a ysi-b same pulley everything else the same. Picked up like a tenth and 3 mph at track. Lower iats and if i remember correctly around 1lb less boost
Old 12-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
eLeSthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bct10985 View Post
Had a ecs kit novi 1500 with a 3.33" blower pulley and 7.5" crank which is spinning it around max rated rpm, made 14lbs. Swapped to a ysi-b same pulley everything else the same. Picked up like a tenth and 3 mph at track. Lower iats and if i remember correctly around 1lb less boost
I guess I'm just trying to figure out if those big blowers are really lazy when you run low boost on them.

It might be hard for you to tell with a 3600rpm stalled auto.

I think people are gonna be pretty impressed with this new blower coming out...
Attached Images

630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
Old 12-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
The only people who say they might be turds...are the people who've never done it.

Big blowers move air. End of story.

And buy big, and hopefully you'll buy once. Although if the long term goal is never to actually utilise the bigger blower, then it seems a little pointless.

And if anything, most do run them out of their efficiency range anyway because they select too small.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
eLeSthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
The only people who say they might be turds...are the people who've never done it.

Big blowers move air. End of story.

And buy big, and hopefully you'll buy once. Although if the long term goal is never to actually utilise the bigger blower, then it seems a little pointless.

And if anything, most do run them out of their efficiency range anyway because they select too small.
I guess what im trying to say is that those blowers are old school, shit is changing. I started this thread four weeks too soon. I cant say anymore. Be back with facts and numbers soon.

630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
Old 12-15-2018, 03:49 AM   #6
stevieturbo

There's another thread you're in with that ESS blower.

It doesnt look like anything new vs every other centri out there. Other than the gearcase looking smaller and potentially weaker in terms of gears/bearings. But other than that it looks like a nice piece.

Size wise, no idea, but again it doesnt look huge...and certainly nothing in the F1X league.

So you're trying to fish for info whilst trying to allude to something else. It would be cool if there was a game changer out there, but I rather doubt there is given the simplicity of centris.

I'd only ever seen one compressor map for a YSi years ago, and by all accounts it was shit and only covered to about 40krpm. And lets face it, almost nobody runs them in that range.
So if the map was correct...everyone is using it far beyond it's efficiency range, and overspinning them like mad. Which the reality is otherwise in terms of their performance.

Which would also mean that their smaller units must be getting used equally, or perhaps more so far beyond where they should

Strange there are so few maps available for them though
Old 12-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #7
eLeSthree

The blower pictured isnt their biggest, but it will flow 2000cfm, so it is in the F1x league. Shouldnt assume smaller is weaker.

I’m gonna shut up now and let ESS chime in if they want.

630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...

Last edited by eLeSthree; 12-15-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
stevieturbo

The warranty will prove whether something is weaker or not...well it wont really. But it might at least give some confidence in it.

because only time will tell, and any "new" products, do not have that proof behind them
Old 12-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
Since I’m currently doing some beta testing with a “new to market” centri, and I have no personal experience with other “big” centris, I’ve come to you guys for assistance.

For those who run or have run the F1X, or YSI-B centris, have you ever set them up on “low boost” or with a big pulley? Like for example: Run low boost until your forged shortblock is ready, or until you can afford one. Sounds pretty common...

I’m curious when these blowers are outside of their efficiency range. I’m assuming they hit softer or take longer to make power with a big pulley. Hence the need for the D1X or J trim blowers.

There may be a solution to bridge the gap between “streetable” blower and “track” blower.

What if you could buy one blower that hits as quick as a P1SC, and also outflows the F1X?

What pulley made your big blower a turd?

Thanks for your feedback.
Back in 2010 I did back to back testing between the Vortech SI and the YSI with same pulley, both made 10 psi boost but YSI made 10 more HP everywhere.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #10
stevieturbo

I first used my YSi back in 2004 I think it was...the YSi was just new then. On a totally stock 5.7 LS1, pulleyed for around 10psi.

It was bloody superb, and only got better the faster I spun it over the years that followed.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:24 PM   #11
eLeSthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Back in 2010 I did back to back testing between the Vortech SI and the YSI with same pulley, both made 10 psi boost but YSI made 10 more HP everywhere.

Ted.
It makes you wonder why anyone would go with the smaller blower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
I first used my YSi back in 2004 I think it was...the YSi was just new then. On a totally stock 5.7 LS1, pulleyed for around 10psi.

It was bloody superb, and only got better the faster I spun it over the years that followed.
Thats exactly what I’m seeing right now. Cant rev much past 5000 cause its lean, but thatll be fixed tomorrow. So far ive seen zero negatives to this upgrade.

630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
Old 12-17-2018, 08:47 AM   #12
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
The F-1X is my first centri blower so I don't have much experience to pass on. All I can say about the F-1X is if you choose to go this route then the minimum psi you should expect to see is ~ 16 psi on the smallest crank pulley, so if your not looking for that kind of psi then the F-1X will not be your best choice.

Because I went with the cog drive I added an ATI Super Pulley/Sprag, and with this set up on the smallest crank pulley I am looking at near 20 psi (unrestricted). I am using a fabricated insert on the F-1X suction to limit the psi to ~ 17.

That said, I don't think there is any pulley that will make the F-1X a turd, lol. All I have learned about the centri is that if you want to have a little fun from a roll you better know what gear you are in (I have a stick), because you (not a pulley) can turn it into a turd if trying to roll stomp at too low RPM's.
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #13
TheInfamouSS
@LS.ACE

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggFoot View Post
All I have learned about the centri is that if you want to have a little fun from a roll you better know what gear you are in (I have a stick), because you (not a pulley) can turn it into a turd if trying to roll stomp at too low RPM's.
Most accurate thing I have seen posted on here in a while.
Some weird snail with a belt on it | Tial Q Bov | CCP Jam Cam | Stainless Works 1 7/8" Headers to Custom 3" Exhaust | Alky Control Dual Nozzle| ProMeth Trunk Mount Tank | Melling Oil Pump | DSX Aux Pump | id1050x Injectors | McLeod RXT w/ Monster Billet Release Bearing | ZL1 3.73 Rear Diff | BMR Delrin/Poly Diff Bushings | DSS 1-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft | ZL1 Axles | Metco Driveshaft Loop | BMR Adjustable LCA's, TA's, Toe Rods | BMR Adjustable Sway Bar w/ Fe3 End Links | Mickey Thompson 305/35-20 Street S/S Drag Radials |
TheInfamouSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #14
stevieturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInfamouSS View Post
Most accurate thing I have seen posted on here in a while.
With my YSi, nowhere was it a turd.

And never think for one second that just because you dont see boost on a gauge at lower rpm's, that the blower is not assisting power. Because it definitely is.

Try running the same engine with and without the blower and it will be very clearly evident.

As for nailing the throttle at very low rpm's, the blower or anything else doesnt make that a turd...that's just bad driving if you intend to race. But even mine pulled very strongly from very low rpm if for some reason you wanted to drive like that.
It'd never be like a PD blower though, but the two are just intended for different driving styles really.