Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-22-2016, 11:37 PM   #351
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Can anyone tell me the recommended size of headers based on HP? Running 1-3/4 on 650 to 750hp.

What are the recommended sizes based on RWHP? 1/4 mi and roll racing at 1/2 mile.
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #352
GMfan454

Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6spd manual
Can someone please explain an offroad pipe to me? And then when you need one vs when you don't? I grew up around cars and working on them my whole life and never heard this term.
GMfan454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #353
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan454 View Post
Can someone please explain an offroad pipe to me? And then when you need one vs when you don't? I grew up around cars and working on them my whole life and never heard this term.
It's the header to exhaust connection pipe without cats.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:43 PM   #354
GMfan454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
It's the header to exhaust connection pipe without cats.
Well, that was easy. Thanks man. I was trying to price headers and high flow cats on the Apex website. It seems all of their performance products are no longer available. Anyone know what happened?
Old 11-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #355
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Well, that was easy. Thanks man. I was trying to price headers and high flow cats on the Apex website. It seems all of their performance products are no longer available. Anyone know what happened?
I'm pretty certain they closed. Apex Chase has disappeared, Apex Motorsports is no longer a sponsor, and like you said their performance products (or basically any other products) are no longer available. In their last few days of many things being sold, they barely got performance parts out to the people who ordered them.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #356
GMfan454

That sucks to hear. That guy was pretty nice.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #357
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
That sucks to hear. That guy was pretty nice.
+1!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #358
J_fit03

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Unhappy

Hi Guys, new to the forums here & after owning my 2011 SS M6 for a couple years now, I am looking at the next change which is Headers. I have a general idea of what I want, I'm just having final thoughts and want some personal experience feedback.

I am trying to stay within a budget to be able to do another thing to the car as well, that being said I am not looking at the crazy expensive name brands but the little guys. I want the 1 7/8" long tubes and originally had my mind made up to also get them with the high flow cats of course that adds more money so any feedback on personal experience without the cats will be very helpful. I like the sound I have right now from when I swapped out the exhaust, of course I would like it to be a little more and with headers alone that will make a huge difference. The only issue is how much louder or obnoxious will it be if I go with NO cats rather than high flows.

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Thanks
J_fit03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #359
camrytt

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I was at my tuner with my l99, and a guy with a convertible ls3 showed me his headers from ebay that came with a cai for $300. He was at 403 hp and 410ish tq with his ebay set up and tune.

Current: 2017 ZL1 A10
previous: 2019 1SS A10
previous: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Past: '12 LFX, full bolt ons + E85, 302hp/267tq
camrytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #360
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Hey J,

Cats or no cats is a question that many faces and the primary thing you need to be sure of is whether or not you'll be able to pass inspection without them if your state has inspections. If you have emissions or state visual inspections you may have to buy cats whether you want them or not. If you aren't bound to having to have cats then it's really whether or not you want your exhaust sound to have a little more rasp or not. Catless has more rasp especially at WOT than with cats.

Getting down to models of headers out there...Since you're not wanting to go with the high dollar I'll skip the Kooks, ARH, Stainless Works info. Mid priced headers are typically OBX (Kooks knock off), Stainless Power (Stainless Works' Chinese made), or Texas Speed (ARH knock off?). I haven't seen much about OBX on here for a while, but Stainless Power is still a good alternative to SW, and Texas Speed is another good brand. These 3 all have catted options and are of typical good build quality. If you don't need/want cats many people have had overall success with Speed Engineering. You'll need to get some different exhaust clamps as the ones that come with the headers are apparently junk. I ended up getting Kooks for my car, but I was strongly looking at Texas Speed for a while. If I was going back to do it again on the level you're looking at, I'd probably get either SP or Texas Speed.

Happy modding and enjoy your new found power and awesome sound when you get your headers!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american racing headers, kooks, long tube headers, pfadt, stainless works