Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
jonm38

Drives: 2016 Siliverado LT. Camaro SS
Onstar and Verizon Wireless car phone

I like to know if Onstar and Verizon Wireless have gone their separate ways? I went into Verizon to shut off my 2008 Chevy Silverado truck that I traded. I don't want someone riding around in their truck and I am paying for the line. Verizon asked me if I wanted to transfer the truck ph # to my Camaro. Onstar doesn't do phone transfers any more as of July 12th, 2009. Did Onstar cut off Verizon phones from vehicles? if you forgot your regular cell phone, you have your vehicle phone as back up.
I like to know if Onstar have given Verizon the boot from GM vehicles?
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Im thinking they're still partnered to provide the in-car phone numbers for Onstar.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
WySS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6 CGM A9125214
Not sure whats going on but GM issued a memo that effective 7/13 there will be no new registrations allowed in the Verizon Onstar Nationwide Plan which is the plan that allowed you to add your vehicle to your verizon family plan. Verizon probably wasnt happy about the new generation of Onstar hardware that includes bluetooth or maybe they assumed that since the new hardware has bluetooth connectivity and most people carry their phones at all times there was no need to provide service to the vehicle.
WySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
jonm38

Drives: 2016 Siliverado LT. Camaro SS
Thats what I got from Onstar, no new Verizon on the Camaro. But if you have your cell phone paired up through bluetooth, which I have done and used more, then I think they wouldn't need added Verizon phone's. I may go into Verizon and have my old ph # shut off and just have my cell phone as the main number. I have found that if I am in a parking lot when I use my cell phone, how quick the bluetooth pick up the cell phone and puts it in the car. That is sweet. I don't have to go and grab my cell, look at who is calling, and talk. That is sweet. In some states, texting is illegal now, I think they are trying to get talking on cell phones where that would be illegal, so hands free and bluetooth is great to have.
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
verner2086

Drives: 2010 CAMARO LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm38 View Post
Thats what I got from Onstar, no new Verizon on the Camaro. But if you have your cell phone paired up through bluetooth, which I have done and used more, then I think they wouldn't need added Verizon phone's. I may go into Verizon and have my old ph # shut off and just have my cell phone as the main number. I have found that if I am in a parking lot when I use my cell phone, how quick the bluetooth pick up the cell phone and puts it in the car. That is sweet. I don't have to go and grab my cell, look at who is calling, and talk. That is sweet. In some states, texting is illegal now, I think they are trying to get talking on cell phones where that would be illegal, so hands free and bluetooth is great to have.
I still like having the on star verizon phone in my vehicle, the on star phone works where your cell phone will not sometimes. the onstar is using the sat. and i found works when a go out of town alot the verizone cell phone cuts out in small towns that are not near big cities, or major hwys. but the onstar phone always works, when my cell phone doesn't
verner2086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
crzycicada

Drives: 2SS/RS/LS3
They've ended their partnership. http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...iscontinue.jsp It stinks because this is the first time I've had OnStar and it would have been nice to pair it to my VZ phone.

Order date: 7/17/09
3000 TPW: 8/17/09
3400 status on 8/11/09
3800: 8/21/09
4200: 8/24/09 on rail car ETTX850796
5000/6000: 9/2/09
crzycicada is offline   Reply With Quote