Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 11-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #1
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Need pad advice, good residue free pad

After 4 track days, I've worn down my front Hawk Street/Race pads and I'm thinking of switching brands. The Hawks did fine for me in terms of fade, but they smeared pad residue all over the rotors and (I think) it was causing vibration on the front wheels when braking under 60 MPH.

So, I want to scotch-brite the rotors to get the gunk off of them and get new pads. I think I'm getting fast enough to warrant something with more heat resistance than the Street/Race (DCT-30). More importantly I don't want it to smear gunk all over the rotors.

Any thoughts? I was thinking of either Carbotech XP10 or XP12, or Raybestos ST43 or ST45. Minimum noise would also be a good thing for when I want to drive it on the street and not shatter my teeth.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
You may need to use something a bit more aggressive than Scotch-brite pads. I've used a disc sander before, with a light touch and keeping it moving around the rotor. If that sounds too risky, sandpaper on a sanding block would be my alternative choice.

XP10's or 12's sounds about right for now (I've used both). I've even used XP8's, and this would have been on much smaller/lighter rotors that would have run hotter under any given severity of use, and even they didn't 'smear'.

FWIW, I got better life out of the 10's than I did with the 12's, as have other people. You will get some noise during low-energy stops, though that can be minimized by doing fairly hard stops from time to time and avoiding the kind of very gradual 'just-dragging-the-brakes-a-tiny-bit' decelerations that you'd probably learn to associate with such noise. 10's are probably a little better once you get into winter/temperatures below freezing. You could always swap to 1521's/Bobcats if winters for you don't include any track days for months at a time - no rotor cleaning or rebedding should be necessary as long as you stay within the CT family. Incidentally, the G-loc pads with mostly similar numbering are comparable (R10 and R12, but GS-1 for street only).

Norm
Old 11-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Thanks for the info. Cleaning the rotors is going to be my winter project. I'll try driving the car a bit first to see if they can self clean before I start with the manual labor.

I emailed G-Loc and asked them a few questions. I'll probably buy their pads for next track season, assuming I can get approval from my wife first

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
Pete G

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE
How do you recognize this pad smear talked about here?
Maybe I should have just said what does it look like< lol
Pete G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carbotech, hawk, pads, raybestos, residue