Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #15
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
it seems as though if a dealer approached me to buy this "corrosion protection plan", that it would imply the car was built TO rust unless i pay for it NOT to rust...
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #16
Risquee
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Transformer SE
Thanks for the suggestions on removing it. The car is going back to the dealer tomorrow anyway because the USB quit working completely. Bad PDIM I guess. But I am going to show them this mess and make a LOUD complaint. Maybe they will clean it up for me. If not as soon as I get it home I will tackle it. I'll try the Simple Green, I use that stuff a lot. Brake cleaner sounds a little harsh.
Thanks again!
Purchase Date: 6/4/2010
Risquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #17
wbdinger

Drives: NSMNJW=2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risquee View Post
Thanks for the suggestions on removing it. The car is going back to the dealer tomorrow anyway because the USB quit working completely. Bad PDIM I guess. But I am going to show them this mess and make a LOUD complaint. Maybe they will clean it up for me. If not as soon as I get it home I will tackle it. I'll try the Simple Green, I use that stuff a lot. Brake cleaner sounds a little harsh.
Thanks again!

DON'T use Brake Cleaner man =HARSH lol
use engine shampoo or tar remover and it'll be ok
DYI Oil Catch Can, DYI dash ABL, DyI fender "V"emblems, ACC Plasma DRL, DYI Painted red SS on steering wheel, DYI CGM painted bowties on wheels, DYI Clearcoated Brake Calipers, Eibach pro 1" lowering springs, GM Heratige grill, GM skipshift eliminator, GMPP 92206992 Exhaust, 2-10" Kenwood subs w/350watt pioneer amp, RiderGraphics hood spears/gill outlines, 9x20 wheels-custom silver,weather tech mats, ARH 17/8 headers and cats. Tuned by Davenport Motorsports.
wbdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #18
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
GM Engine Shampoo will not cause any damage.

GM owners manuals have said for years ...DO not rust proof ..MAY VOID WARRANTY.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:45 AM   #19
zerox

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Bumblebee
That looks horrible, looks like permanent condensation.
zerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #20
Risquee
Camaro Lover

Took her into the dealer this morning, they will clean it up. I'll let you know how good of a job they do.
Thanks again!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #21
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I hate to be blunt, but you paid a bunch of money to have worthless sticky goo slobbered on your car that most likely will most likely cause it to rust, and the company which supposedly guarantees this product will have long since gone out of business (changed it's name and is doing the same thing to someone else).

Most consumer advocate sites document this scam quite well. These cars have abundant rust protection designed into them and do not need this stuff.
Amen to what you said. The last stop at the delaership is the finance office. This is where they run the price of the car up with useless bullshit to enhance their profit. Your Camaro came with a rust through warranty. Never buy any of this crap from the financial guy. The only thing that I let them sell me was enhanced Lojac. I knew that I wanted this going in because it is a big insurance discount for having this in Massachusetts. The other thing that they like to sell you is a warranty, unless you are keeping your car forever and you know of a reoccuring problem with Camaros, run from these too. They are a rip off. Good luck removing the goo from your car. Try some WD-40, it is a petroleum based product and it works on road tar. It might work for you.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #22
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Should have threw your money away at the RUST INHIBITOR module. The only things that will rust on these cars are the exposed non coated hardware (nuts, bolts, etc.) not the underbody because its GALVANIZED!
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #23
Risquee
Camaro Lover

I do know most of these products are a scam. This is not from an outside company, it's through the dealer. The only reason I bought the package, (rustproofing, undercoat, fabric guard,) was I got the whole thing for 499.00. (regular 900.00) The rustproofing IS a rust inhibitor module and is guaranteed for 10 yrs. The undercoating is strictly to help prevent the salt corrosion that happens in winter because in this province they SERIOUSLY over salt the roads in winter. It has to be redone yearly and is now paid for for 5 years. The fabric guard covers tears in the upholstery as well and is good for 3 years. And yes I bought the extended warranty because I will be keeping the car forever, and there is no work done on cars anymore that seems to be less then a $1000.00 a pop with parts and labour. The cost of the warranty is only 2 repairs at that price. Well worth it.
I have been buying cars through this dealership for 15 years and have always had good service. Today I got that again when they offered to clean up the mess under the hood.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #24
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Man that blows. Try some of Adams All Purpose Cleaner. I don't know if it would work but it's pretty good about getting tough to clean grime to break loose.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #25
zerox

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Bumblebee
Good to know they are taking care of it
Old 06-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #26
RipGear

Drives: '74 Vette Coupe
The product appears to be Cosmoline or Rust-Veto. The company I work for uses it for offshore metal protection and it is cheap stuff (around $5 per spray can). A mild degreaser will take it off but it will take some elbow grease. I'm glad the dealer is cleaning it up for you.

Not advertising, for reference only:
http://www.schafco.com/cosmoline.asp
2006 Troy-Bilt Weed Eater, I1 4-Stroke, M1
2010 Camaro #64281, 2SS/RS, L99, RJT, Black Leather, Black Rallys
RipGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #27
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
I used to apply that stuff for a dealer here in town. I would never pay for it, but since I could get it free at the time, I had it on all my cars. However, the only thing under the hood we ever did was shoot some inside the "holes" on the hood itself and then along the "top of the fender" where the edges of the hood meet with the fender. And, we made sure never to get any of that stuff anywhere else. It really isn't that hard to keep it neat. Also, we would let it dry for a couple hours before delivering a car. Never had a problem with it gathering dirt/dust because it was dry.

To clean it up, I would use the Prep Solve from Hi-Temp ( http://hitempinc.com/paint_cleaners/ )....I use this stuff to clean off just about everything (tar, bug guts, bird crap, etc) and you can usually use it on everything (paint, plastic, upholstery, carpet, etc...as always, test it first)...works great, usually doesn't take a ton of elbow grease either.

If the dealer doesn't do right by you, give this stuff a try.

Good luck.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #28
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risquee View Post
I do know most of these products are a scam. This is not from an outside company, it's through the dealer. The only reason I bought the package, (rustproofing, undercoat, fabric guard,) was I got the whole thing for 499.00. (regular 900.00) The rustproofing IS a rust inhibitor module and is guaranteed for 10 yrs. The undercoating is strictly to help prevent the salt corrosion that happens in winter because in this province they SERIOUSLY over salt the roads in winter. It has to be redone yearly and is now paid for for 5 years. The fabric guard covers tears in the upholstery as well and is good for 3 years. And yes I bought the extended warranty because I will be keeping the car forever, and there is no work done on cars anymore that seems to be less then a $1000.00 a pop with parts and labour. The cost of the warranty is only 2 repairs at that price. Well worth it.
I have been buying cars through this dealership for 15 years and have always had good service. Today I got that again when they offered to clean up the mess under the hood.
Have you bought the extended warranties before? Did you use it enough to get your money back from it? Most people don't, that is why they sell them. I am keeping my 1SS forever just like Clint Eastwood. I did NOT get the warranty. It is a rip-off. The tar that they spray on in the guise of rust proofing retains moisture and ususally causes more harm than good. I live in the snow belt too and my two gen 4's had no rust at all. My 1987 gen 3 would rust but GM has gotten beyond that now. I know that most of the gen 4's were plastic, but not all of it. They use galvanized metal now. See if they can steam that crap off of your car at the dealership. I would be extremely pissed off if that were my car.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote