Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
redZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv.
Frame/lines get too hot from this QTP cutout configuration?

Note the proposed location of the cutouts for a Camaro, as per the QuickTimePerformance.com website: http://quicktimeperformance.com/OVAL/index.php

I am awaiting a response for the following question of the folks at QTP, but like to know the experience of those with cutouts:

Looking at the image of their cutout install for the Camaro, I wonder if they could have switched the cutout units left/right and placed the cutouts on the more perpendicular, or "middle" section of exhaust. *This would have directed the exhaust more directly backwards, and I assume would place less heat on the frame and lines. *

Has anyone followed their design, and had subsequent issues from the exhaust heat over time?

I will have mine installed in the next 1-2 weeks, so guidance would be appreciated!
redZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
the upcoming

Drives: 10'2SS/RS,94'toyoda,02'vette
the upcoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
redZ28

My update:

QTP got back with me very quickly. In short, they chose the placement of the cutout for the Camaro shown on their website to maximize the sound and to maximize the clearance, as per their customers request. They also indicated that the measured temperature with their placement was only 180 degrees, according to his memory.

I had my cutouts installed today at Bumbera's in Houston (at Classic Chevrolet's recommendation), and couldn't be happier with their expertise, and the result. As a side note, they were very pleased with the QTP product quality.

I was especially pleased that Bumbera's wrapped the exposed lines nearest the cutout with heat-protective insulation material. It turns out that the Bumbera's are a NASCAR family, so they had knowledge and equipment! I had not even mentioned to them about my concerns about the potentially excessive heat - that's the benefit of getting experienced experts to work on your car.

The sound with the cutouts is amazing. It is also amazingly quiet when the cutouts are closed!

The only problem?........ The sound waves vibrate the HUD when the cutouts are open! Well I guess there is one more problem, my cheeks got sore from grinning so much.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redZ28 View Post
My update:

QTP got back with me very quickly. In short, they chose the placement of the cutout for the Camaro shown on their website to maximize the sound and to maximize the clearance, as per their customers request. They also indicated that the measured temperature with their placement was only 180 degrees, according to his memory.

I had my cutouts installed today at Bumbera's in Houston (at Classic Chevrolet's recommendation), and couldn't be happier with their expertise, and the result. As a side note, they were very pleased with the QTP product quality.

I was especially pleased that Bumbera's wrapped the exposed lines nearest the cutout with heat-protective insulation material. It turns out that the Bumbera's are a NASCAR family, so they had knowledge and equipment! I had not even mentioned to them about my concerns about the potentially excessive heat - that's the benefit of getting experienced experts to work on your car.

The sound with the cutouts is amazing. It is also amazingly quiet when the cutouts are closed!

The only problem?........ The sound waves vibrate the HUD when the cutouts are open! Well I guess there is one more problem, my cheeks got sore from grinning so much.

Congrat! QTP makes a great product.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
RipGear

Drives: '74 Vette Coupe
Do you have a manual or auto? If auto, how does it sound in 4 cylinder mode? I'm interested in these, plus I got the car from Classic too!
2006 Troy-Bilt Weed Eater, I1 4-Stroke, M1
2010 Camaro #64281, 2SS/RS, L99, RJT, Black Leather, Black Rallys
RipGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
redZ28

I have the automatic, but the AFM was removed when I got a tune by Hennessey after I installed the supercharger.

The sound is great, whether when shifting normally, or when shifting manually. But the best part is that I can flip the switch and enjoy the quiet! Awesome!

Oh, and the decel pops are kinda fun too.

A word of warning, one of the shops that I spoke to about doing the install said that some of the local police in the Houston area are writing a more-than-normal number of "excessive noise" tickets, possibly to increase revenue.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Bumbera's Performance

Drives: Bad Fast Cars - 281.493.9300
Bumbera's is so excited you enjoyed the cut-outs! We loved how they turned out and look forward to doing future business with our fellow Classic Chevrolet customers!

Whether you have a Camaro or Tahoe we can make it Bad Fast!

Feel free to stop by our shop and check out all the NASCARs and other hot rods we have around here!

www.bumberas.com
630 Highway 6 South
Houston, TX 77079
Bumbera's Performance is offline   Reply With Quote