Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #29
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
No hibernation today 60 degrees, also got a 20 yr old Bonneville if it snows.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #30
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_D View Post
I've always liked the Pontiac's. I used to have a 2004 Grand Am GT coupe with the V6. May not sound like much but that car got up and went when you asked it to. It was a sporty orange color with leather,Ram Air and at the time it was new, was a whole lot of car for the money. That's what I liked about Pontiac, you got a lot of extra's for a lot less.
My dad had one of those Grand Am's. I think it was around 170hp but I agree it really took off. I made out like a bandit with the GXP (fully loaded)because it was when GM was going downhill and in 2008 the sticker price was $40K (here in Canada) and I got it exactly 1yr old with 21,000Km on it for $21,800 +tax. So almost half price. It's one hell of a lot of car for that price (even has HUD!). There's guys who paid more here for their new Civic )) The 5.3L seems solid so far although I hear the tranny is very weak and I'm at 100,000Km now. I've only had one issue with it the entire time I've owned it. The idler pulley just up and fell off while on the highway. Damn thing seized and snapped right off! They had to extract the bolt to put the new one in. Love my GM's I do..... Never had any big headaches with the 3 Grand Prix i've owned. We'll see how this Camaro does.... mines' still pretty young mileage wise.

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #31
mastercarp

Drives: 15' 2LT/RS Vert. Red Hot Born:1/26
My Baby hibernates Nov. to April. Have an Explorer, Expedition and F250FX4 that gets us through the Winter months...........Brrrrrrrrr! Just so happens I'm Ford dominant at the moment....
mastercarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #32
dustins2011

Drives: 2011 ss
I'm in the Twin Cities and I drive a 98 ranger......until I can the camaro out of hibernation
dustins2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #33
trodecke

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS CRT
Quote:
Our neighbors to the south take for granted their ability to drive their prized Camaro in ideal weather year round.
Believe me, I don't take it for granted at all. I praise the good Lord every time I get in it and drive off! I spent two winters in upstate New York when I was in the Air Force (technically one winter since summer never came ). While the scenery was beautiful and the hunting incredible, I swore I'd never live in another cold weather state if I could possibly help it.

trodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #34
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
I finally got smart and bought a 2000 cavalier before this winter. So glad I had it when the east coast blizzard hit last weekend. Definitely not as comfortable as the camaro but it was nice not having to drive thru all that crap!
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #35
Camaro85

Drives: 2015 SS
Quote:
I wasn't aware about the salt, I wonder if that is the case here in my state. I see many later model pickup's around here that have rust around the rear wheel well's I always assumed that it was attributed to the salt, but maybe not?
I believe that there is a member on here, who has a 2010 that is his DD. He said it's been through 4 winters so far and no rust. I think people make salt out to be worse than it really is. Most newer cars have pretty good rust protection
Camaro85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #36
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro85 View Post
I believe that there is a member on here, who has a 2010 that is his DD. He said it's been through 4 winters so far and no rust. I think people make salt out to be worse than it really is. Most newer cars have pretty good rust protection
I think I am qualified to speak about this after owning several cars long term in the Canadian climate. Surface rust on the underside can show up in just a few years but is relatively harmless. The real problematic rust doesn't seem to really begin until around the 7-9yr mark depending on how severe the winters are (salt amount) and how many miles are put on the car. Even then, the rust I got on my one Grand Prix was in a spot where there was a design flaw around the gas fill door and salt/water would settle and sit there unknowingly. Eventually it rusted from the inside-out. Other than that, Even at 9yrs, there was no rust to be seen except on the underside which was still minimal. I made it a habit however to not wash my car all winter so-as to not add water to the salt coating all over the car, keep all chips touched up, and each spring I would take my garden hose and spray inside/under all wheel wells and any crevice underneath I could find. Lots of salt, sand would come pouring out.

So I would say, if you're not gonna keep the car more than 8 or 9yrs, in a wintery climate, you shouldn't worry about it. Long term..... it will matter eventually if you want to keep it pristine.

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #37
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
2012 Silverado ext cab 4wd with 4 studded snows. I had to drive through 3 feet of snow 3 times last winter. I regularly get snow that would be grill high or over the hood of the camaro. This winter's mild but id like to keep my car rust free. Id be making payments on a rust bucket if i drove it in the salt. I would get many days off of work being snowed in if I only had the car. The only time I called in for snow was last year in the november storm. We got 7 feet of snow in 2 days. That was with my 2000 GMC Sierra 4wd . Truck was completely buried.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #38
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Most cities don't put salt down any more, they put down brine solution or Mag Chloride.
I haven't had a spot of rust on a vehicle in over 20 years.

Drove the Camaro to the store yesterday in the snow. If it gets too bad, I just drive the Jeep. I can't afford to pay 40K for something that just sits there. Worst thing you can possibly do to a vehicle is let it sit.
What was that pile of stuff I ran over once the salt truck took off from the light ?Ahhhh salt.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #39
Mr V

Drives: 2011 VR SS Vert
I drive a 2005 4wd Tahoe in the winter. Would not have wanted to be out in the camaro in this last snowstorm. I plan on keeping mine for many years too so I look at keeping the miles down as a plus. The 2011 I bought in August only had 6k miles so have a good start.
Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #40
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
We are having a real winter debacle here in Qc. And I'm not taking about the Habs (punt intented). He received less then 10 inches of snow in total this winter. I Never seen such a moderated winter here for the last 40 years. I see the grass in my back yard where there is usally 3 feet of snow. Makes it pointless to have winter cars...but still like to drive my '05s Magnum and 300.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #41
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Most cities don't put salt down any more, they put down brine solution or Mag Chloride.
I haven't had a spot of rust on a vehicle in over 20 years.

Drove the Camaro to the store yesterday in the snow. If it gets too bad, I just drive the Jeep. I can't afford to pay 40K for something that just sits there. Worst thing you can possibly do to a vehicle is let it sit.
I hate to break it to you, but brine solution is salt water and mag chloride is also salt. You probably just see less rust because newer cars have better corrosion protection.

I have snow tires on my Camaro and it was intented to be a DD, but I sort of inherited a 2006 Ford Focus which has become my winter beater. It is nice to have the Camaro safe in the garage while the Focus gets blasted with salt, pot holes, and all the rocks that used to be part of the road. Another benefit, the Camaro is going to seem like a rocket when I start driving it again.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #42
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
OP there is salt in MN. most cities will put the chemicals down if they can beat the snow, but they do a sand/salt mixture if they are applying after or during a snow storm.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote