Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 05-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
TX- Front plate mount standards to pass muster?

First: apologies if this is the wrong place...mods can fee free to move if deemed necessary

Now, on to my question...

So, I got popped on a BS speeding ticket (72 in a 60, but the damn cop didn't even have his radar on, per my 9500ix - zero alerts for both radar and laser) but anyhow, I'd had a few beverages, it was late, and I didn't feel like arguing it and winding up in the clink, hoping to get deferred adjudication, or defensive driving, and be done with it.

Anyhow, he also popped me for no front plate (Houston - getting on 610 from 59s over by the Galleria) Currently I have my plate suction cupped to the lower passenger side of the windshield, and he said that I had no front plate. Pointed to it, he looked, said it needed to be on the front of the vehicle, and wrote the ticket. Told me that I could get it dismissed if I had it moved to the front bumper. Ok, knew it was a rule, hoped that it wouldn't ever cause trouble, but now I gotta get it fixed.

I'm broke, and needing to do this as cheap as possible without drilling the bumper. My plan originally was to to THIS diy front mount with the bolts and a stock mount, but that's money fro the mount and bolts that I would rather spend on bills in my current state of unemployment. If necessary, though, I'll do it...it's sure cheaper than paying the ticket + increase in insurance.

My question - I've seen cars running around with just zip ties holding the plate on...will that pass muster with the judge/cop when I go to court? I could get a few zip ties from the garage, strap it on nice and tight, hope to have it pass, and call it a day. I'll worry about a stolen/lost plate should it happen, and hope to have the money to do a better job of mounting later, but need something on the cheap right now..

So, thoughts on zip ties? I've got them in the garage, and perfectly willing to do that now, but don't want to do it if I'm not going to get the ticket dismissed...
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Buffman
1LE FTW

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
Zip ties will work just fine....
Buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Find somebody down in Houston that has this...http://jacfab.com/products/camaro-pr...-bracket/#2010.

Borrow it for a day to get signed off and then give it back.

There must be somebody there you can borrow one from.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Solstice X

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS
They are starting to crack down on the front license plates. Mine came with a bracket and just told the dealer to install it and get it over with. The holes are already piloted in to the lower grill anyway. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it's only $15 from the dealer.

Lastly, careful with the liquid courage. I remember having to pick up my troops from the drunk tank and having to article 15 them for something that could have been prevented by just passing the keys. Better safe than sorry.
Solstice X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Mine has been zip tied with 4 large ties for 2 years. No way you can tell they are zip tied on. I check them every so often. Drill holes into the mounting bracket and zip them through the holes you create. Plate will cover the holes.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
ErichSS

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS
One option could be to use some double sided tape and lightly stick it on with your plate to your bumper and take a picture of the front of your car with your plate on. Then remove it. In the past, I have heard stories of that working when you go before the judge and showed that you "fixed" the problem and they'll usually dismiss it. I'd imagine this would still be the case unless things change.. or unless the judge scrupulously looks to see how it was mounted.
ErichSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Find somebody down in Houston that has this...http://jacfab.com/products/camaro-pr...-bracket/#2010.

Borrow it for a day to get signed off and then give it back.

There must be somebody there you can borrow one from.
Hey OP....I had this bracket on my SS. I still have it and if you want it I'll take any reasonable offer in order to help out.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
blade_ss

Drives: '12 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & 05 Mazda3
The last time I got hit for no front plate I zip tied the plate to the lower grill had them sign it off and took it back off.

That's the easiest.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
suction cups work great on your front window....Put the suction cups on the front car for a photo and then remove
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #10
Agk007

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS,1LE,Recaros,NPP
I drilled eight tiny holes on the border of my plate and mounted it with 4 zip ties. I also placed some self adhesive weather seal pads on the back to keep it from rubbing the metal plate into my plastic bumper. It looks pretty clean and so far its very snug and hasn't moved. I imagine every few years i will need to change the zip ties, but they work great and are dirt cheap. Much cheaper than buying a bracket. And if i lose a plate for whatever reason, they're cheap to replace.
Attached Images

Agk007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2014 Black M6
On my last Camaro I used velcro for the front license plate. I could take it off when I did long trips to get away from speeding cameras (used to live in Sweden) then just pop it on very easily again.

I made sure the license plate was really clean and used a sanding paper to scratch the back surface of it a bit, then used real good 2-component glue for the velcro to attach nicely on the license plate.

On the front bumper I just cleaned it very thorough with anti-grease cleaner then applied the other part of the velcro.

Used it for about 6 months with lots of car washes, still stuck nicely!

I will do this again now when I get my new Camaro next weekend, for sure!

Currently driving a 2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe.
nickswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
hey all thanks for the advice. wanted to update that I went ahead and did the DIY that I linked to in my original post...used zip ties to get it all together, and I may just keep it there for a bit. They dismissed the plate ticket, but I got 'deferred adjudication' for the speeding - in other words, no moving violations for 90 days, and the ticket never hits my record. figure I'll at least keep the plate on for that time period in order to stay as under the radar as possible...

and to the guy that suggested I ease off the sauce when driving - absolutely. I wasn't drunk by any stretch, but having just finished my beer as I left, I'm sure I would've smelled of it and the cop would have likely (at a minimum) given me some shit about it. I got a DUI about 4 years ago, and don't plan on that happening again, so I always watch myself when going out
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
Camaro_13

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2013 Ls
I got stopped a few weeks ago, he said I was going 77 in a 65. He pulled me over and talked to me then looked in the front of my vehicle to get the license plate, which I don't have a front one and asked where it was, and I said well I don't have any holes or anything in the front, and he was like well dealerships give you the holder (which I knew I just prefer to have no license plate in the front), anyways he asked me if I have ever been asked about it by another cop, and I said no, and he said, so if I check your records their won't be a warning for it and I said no, so he went back to his car and came back with a ticket for speeding and a warning for the license plate, I came back home looking for the holder and I can't find it, I still haven't put my front license plate on. I don't understand why Texas wants us to have a front license plate. I don't think they will stop you just for not having a front license plate, because I have passed by several cops and none of them have pulled me over for it.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_13 View Post
I got stopped a few weeks ago, he said I was going 77 in a 65. He pulled me over and talked to me then looked in the front of my vehicle to get the license plate, which I don't have a front one and asked where it was, and I said well I don't have any holes or anything in the front, and he was like well dealerships give you the holder (which I knew I just prefer to have no license plate in the front), anyways he asked me if I have ever been asked about it by another cop, and I said no, and he said, so if I check your records their won't be a warning for it and I said no, so he went back to his car and came back with a ticket for speeding and a warning for the license plate, I came back home looking for the holder and I can't find it, I still haven't put my front license plate on. I don't understand why Texas wants us to have a front license plate. I don't think they will stop you just for not having a front license plate, because I have passed by several cops and none of them have pulled me over for it.
I've been pulled over just for no plate. I have a hide away and been lucky that they give me a warning after I whip it out. Sux but thats the risk I take.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote