Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #85
SummitWhiteLS

Drives: 2011 Mustang V6 Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I agree with you...but thinking about it lead me to thinking about more stuff which I posted above lol...so I just wrote out all my thoughts!
Everything you said in your previous post (#81) x2.
SummitWhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #86
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Hi all,

Just some thoughts here from what I have read and my own experiences and input from tuners and engine builders over the past ten years on this engine and on my LS1 Z28 I have.
I personnally don't beleive,IMO, that you will gain that kind of power going from 93 to 100 octane in any factory engine. Other then thermo dynamics,cooling of the intake charge, engine design etc. with higher octane, we are talking it seems about increases in power based on timing advance or retard here. If that is so, we have to ask how much power on any engine could that possibly be? I will list some questions or statements we can think about in our quest to understand this engine since it is pretty new to us all.
1. How much total timing is this engine programmed with in the first place?

2. how much timing in total advance does it like or need for best power. 1 and 2 can be two different things.

3. The more efficient the engine, the less timing is needed for max power.

4. The LS1 likes 26-30 degrees total timing for best power with todays gas. I had 28 degrees from factory and after we went to 91 octane and ethonal I had to retune to 26 degreesto eliminate ping at full power and so engine wouldn't pull alot of timing so power would stay consistant. I picked up 4 hp also. I would suspect the design from GM on this engine is the same, protect the engine by reducing timing as needed in all of the unknown driving conditions the engine will face so We wont have melted pistons from over advance.

5. Based on what I have seen and what most others have seen on the LS1 and engines in general, there is only so much power to be had in advancing timing, after you reach the optimum for the design You can add timing but no more power will be made with a given octane used. So back to #1 and 2, what does it have in timing and what does it like if the ecu pulled nothing and no detonation occured ?

6.I have seen on this forum from Scrmmg and one other that on 87 it can pull from 2 to 15 degress and with 91/93 0-2 degrees or so.I and others have noticed a performane increase, I did with stock, Airaid V1 and V2, but what we dont know is how much more power did we get to prove anything? Going to 91/93 I would think does help based on timing pull but how much based on not knowing best total full power timing the engine likes? I don't see getting all that power on 100 octane gas bsaed ontiming as you would have to have added 30 degrees or so, based on what? 2hp per 1 degree of advance? Thats the amount most engines like in total!

Anyway, thats all, hope I didn't ramble on to much and added some food for thought as these discussions I think really help us all in learning what and what not to do with these great cars!!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #87
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Quote:
Lets not forget that the new ford V6 also produces quite a bit more HP than TQ numbers, just like our V6. What is it about these engines that causes them to produce much high HP numbers than TQ, when traditional engines produced higher TQ than HP?? (for example, the outgoing ford 4.0. 210 horse, but 240 TQ!) Is ford holding back that engine as well? Or is it just the design and thats that?
I think it is just the math. Hp is simply tq at a given rpm. Our hp numbers are peaked at a very high rpm compared to larger displacement engines.

If the hp peak is before or near 5250 rpm you would expect the hp and tq to be about the same. Lower than 5250 then then the tq is higher then hp.

If the hp peak is after 5250 then the hp will generally be higher than the tq.

Last edited by formare; 06-26-2010 at 04:14 PM.
formare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #88
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Went on a trip over the weekend. !Road Trip! 175 Miles one way, went two different directions, one took me through small towns, the other major hwys.

going the route that took me thur the small towns I averaged 26.8MPG
over the hwy I got over 27.2 MPG
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #89
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Cool, me too, hehe. About 400 miles or so (est). I was all over though, twisty backroads, mountain passes, Skyline Drive (in VA), little towns, slow speed limits, faster speed limits, highway stop and go, and a little bit of highway cruising. I didn't go too easy on it.

On top of that, the A/C was on 95% of the time, and the car was loaded down with my wife and I, most of a tank of gas the whole way (I was taking no chances in the middle of nowhere, VA), and about 250 extra pounds of luggage and gear.

Through most of it I averaged about 20mpg, not bad all things considered! The return trip home was more mild, but still a decent bit of accel and decel, and 80mph. That ended up at 26.2mpg. I can't complain. Sweet.

I'd guess a steady cruise at 60-65mph on a flat highway (like most of I-40) would net me 35mpg.
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #90
spyderbuddy

very happy camper with these numbers
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #91
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
ran 87-89 octane for the first 3 months I owned the Camaro 1LT, didn't think it mattered but it started to sputter a bit so I put 93 in it and the improvement in it was immediate. have gone throu roughly 3 tanks and it is running more smoth IMO. not science here; just my observation. will stick with 91-93 for now on.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #92
Camarodriver

Drives: 1975 Camaro, 2010 2LT, 2011/2SSrs
Send a message via ICQ to Camarodriver Send a message via MSN to Camarodriver Send a message via Skype™ to Camarodriver
I agree completely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
I'll second this ^^^^^^
I have been using 91 from Esso since I picked it up and recently switched to Sunoco 93 (Petro Canada now) I noticed a difference for sure, but it takes a few km's for sure. It's not night and day, but everything helps IMHO.

Best 2 all!

eB

The perma-grin effect pictured above by a good buddy giving me a ride in my Camaro!
Used 75 Camaro = $3500
Rolling restoration over 10 years = $5000
$5 of gas burned in 10 seconds = Priceless!
Camarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #93
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I've been using regular unleaded since day one with occasional uses of premimum like for trips. to tell the truth i have seen very little difference in performance or mileage. My trip to Myrtle beach Going down I used premimum, and averaged 28MPG. coming back I used regular and got the same MPG. This past weekend I went down to my Son's house in NC, used regular all the way. going down i got 29.8 MPG, coming back I got 29.
I think more has to do with the quality of the gas than what octane you use in it. Oh coming back before I hit the real mountians I was getting 32.3 MPG..
Old 09-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #94
leonardo
SoCal HT5 [COTW 11/24/13]

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS / Ducati 1198s
haha

whats up with all this talk about MPG ??????? its a flipping camaro not a toyota prius lol
Old 09-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #95
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo View Post
whats up with all this talk about MPG ??????? its a flipping camaro not a toyota prius lol
It's because we feel we have the best of both worlds. A very good performing car that gets good MPG.. While a prius is just.... well BORING!

So whats wrong with getting Good MPG's while having fun doing it?
Old 10-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #96
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
V6 A6 shift issue?

On rare occasions I can hear my rpm increase between the really long shift cycle time in my car. It does not happen all the time. But I can hear the engine rpm increase between 1,2 shifts kinda like the trans is slipping.

Am I the only one?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #97
spyderbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
On rare occasions I can hear my rpm increase between the really long shift cycle time in my car. It does not happen all the time. But I can hear the engine rpm increase between 1,2 shifts kinda like the trans is slipping.

Am I the only one?

Does not do that in mine, but then i keep mine in sport mode.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #98
spyderbuddy

Some new pic's

Some night shots
Attached Images