Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Driving a Lamborghini made me appreciate the Z/28

So I purchased an "Exotic car certificate" at a school fundraiser the other night and took my son out the next day for the drive. The only car available to drive when I went in was a Lamborghini Superleggera. I've never driven an exotic so I was ecstatic to drive anything, as was my son. After getting the paperwork done we were on our way for a short 15 mile drive following the lead in a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. Caveat all of my comments with the fact that it was a short drive, though I did get to "get on it" several times thanks to my lead. It was just my son and I in the car with walkie talkie comms with the lead vehicle. First impression was awesome sitting in the car....carbon fiber EVERYWHERE! Holy smokes what a cool cockpit! After a short fam on all the controls, and strict warnings about what would end the drive (no paddle shifting, it had to be all AUTO all the time) we were off. 1st gear is extremely short and it just felt jerky from the time we took off to the time we shut it down. Power is definitely awesome (apparently the stock 570hp was bumped up to 600+ with a tune) but I just could never get it to shift smoothly (apparently it's a manual transmission with an auto shift, WTF?) My son hated it! It was so loud and jerky and when we kicked it into Sport mode the auto rev match barked at us the entire time. I did get on it a couple of times, though not full throttle, and no doubt it moves but I honestly can't say I had "fun" driving the car, which really bummed me out. Let me repeat my caveat, this was a short drive and I get a strong feeling that Lamborghinis aren't at their best on the street. Bottom line is my son was relieved when we got back. We jumped into the Z/28 and he looked at me and said "Dad, don't you ever get rid of the Z!" What amazed me was how smooth the Z felt after driving the Lambo......night and day difference. Plus I'm a HUGE manual guy. The tranny in the Z is like butter, especially compared to the Lambo and for pure "fun" I just don't think the Z can be beat. Now, I'm an average dude with average driving abilities so I'm sure the pros out there will scoff because I only used probably 25% of what the Lambo could do, but as the title states I came away just really really appreciative of what the Z/28 brings to the table for so little money. This is not at all intended to knock Lamborghinis......I'll never own one and from a coolness factor it's hard to beat, but I just couldn't see driving one as much as my Z......

Anyhow, just a nothing post because I'm off today and was bored.....
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
z28monster

Drives: 15 Z28, 17 GT350R
Well I did some research after driving a Superlegerra LP 570-4 one day to see what kinda piece of s**t transmission it had as it bucked like a colt on drugs and stumbled across this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambor..._22PS_1951.jpg

...founder Ferruccio Lamborghini manufactured tractors before Lambos.....go figure.

Last edited by z28monster; 10-08-2018 at 11:42 PM.
z28monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Haha. I had a similar experience years ago with the Gallardo. It was a cool car of course, though perhaps a bit too much Audi/VW switch gear in that generation. The power was...meh. I had a bit more of an extended highway/tollway drive, with a representative of the rental place in the car, letting me know I could let it rip in certain areas. Pulled up to 160mph.

In essence it was a bit of a non-event - which is not what you expect from a Lambo, however it accelerated briskly and was smooth as silk at 160.

I was able to leverage the paddle shifters so that was a non issue. Like it or not sequential gear boxes like that are superior (in performance) to human shifted or slush box automatics in most respects. (not counting the joy of driving or drag built autos etc).

Caveat - I was heavy into riding sport bikes on the street and track at the time, which can make you a bit jaded feeling any sub 700hp or so car accelerate.

Funny reference to the tractor. Gotta respect some of the badass machinery that man put together, old farmer going up against the fancy Ferrari princesses? Hell yeah man that's a great story.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:53 AM   #4
93oh

Drives: 2017 ZL-1
Most foreign junk feels that way
93oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
zman1969

Drives: 1969 R/S Z28 302 m20 Endura
only reason they make Lambo's is because Enzo was insulted that a tractor manufacturer was telling him whats was wrong with his cars! and that started the rivalry between them
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote