Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Douge
Eurotrash Connossieur

Drives: 1985 Mercedes 500SEL
Taking delivery 101

1. Use the buddy system

We all tend to get a little excited when we get to pick up a new car and we don't always stay focused. Taking a friend whose sole mission is to help you look over the car carefully and make sure you don't miss anything is very helpful.

2. Make a check list of what you want to accomplish during the purchase/delivery of the car and take it with you. Even if you have a buddy with you, still a good idea.

3. Take your time. I know you wanted it yesterday or you have to pick up your kids or go do some crimes etc... but even if you have to wait a day, I would suggest you set aside a 2-3 hour block of time to take delivery during the day with sun or natural light if at all possible, I would add at least an hour if you are setting up a financing contract at the dealer. It may go much quicker but you should not be in a hurry.

4. DRIVE THE CAR!!!!! I don't know how many times I have heard people picking up a new car without driving it. Chances are low you will find a problem or worse, dislike the car, but for gawds sake take it around the block and make sure it works.

5. Inspect the car top to bottom. I would do this twice, once when I get there and then a second time before I leave the lot, this is where your buddy comes in handy. Check everything, press all the buttons, use all the functions of the car, check out the paint, the panel alignment, tires wheels trunk interior panels lighting etc... If you are lucky to get a sales guy like Scott, have him explain everything even if you think you already know it all. Ask for the PDI checklist and double check it.

6. Read the paperwork. Know what you are signing and understand what you are signing for. Most F&I people are good at what they do and will explain all the documents to you, but they are their for their own interests not yours. You don't need a lawyer but don't blindly sign everything they put in front of you either. If your cool with it, this is another place where a buddy can help you out. If you are financing this is VERY important, read the contract and UNDERSTAND it. Not everyone is whiz at contracts, ask questions and get answers.

7. Double check your paperwork, make sure you get your manuals all of the keys and the window sticker.

8. Optional but something to think about. I have had the pleasure of buying lots of new cars including some expensive stuff and can tell you, even at the Porsche store the detail guys can be real hacks. You may want to ask to have the car "left in the wrapper". Most dealers are cool and will do the mechanical and safety checks of the PDI but will otherwise leave it the way they found it when it was delivered. YOU MUST CALL AHEAD and forewarn them. You should also call ahead and make sure that they do not add any additional stickers to the car for example the dealers name and logo. Every last one of them should respect this request. Almost all dealers do soft ads like clear coat seal that require the car to be cleaned. This will avoid any unnecessary and unwanted attention to your fresh paint job. I cannot tell how many times I have seen new and expensive cars with swirl marks and micro scratches from haphazard lot personnel doing crap work on new car deliveries. Personally I enjoy the connection of cleaning the car up and putting the first coat of wax on it.

Hope this helps some of you guys get the most out of your delivery. I am sure I left some things out so maybe everyone can add their ideas and experience in this thread and help everyone make the most of this time and eliminate some heartache as well.

Last edited by Douge; 04-06-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Douge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
DanielleAnne

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 75 Stingray
Ive noticed this too!!! Everyone is getting SOOO antzy, but believe it or not, some of our guys on here will have there cars in less than two weeks! I got two months and being patient is the hardest part! Good luck to all those who get to use there 101 tips earlier than the rest and we expect some pics!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
SSCamaroNC

Drives: 02 Z28 Camaro, future 2010 SS2
Just curious I know my dealer will let me drive mine but what if they don't let people drive them before they buy it? My friend bought a Challenger the other week and they would not let them drive it until she actually bought the car..

Thanks for all the heads up! Especially since I'm a female and it seems countless times when I go places dealing with cars they always try to pull something...Your car needs this or this...I will definitely have someone there with me!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
SandiCandi

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCamaroNC View Post
Just curious I know my dealer will let me drive mine but what if they don't let people drive them before they buy it? My friend bought a Challenger the other week and they would not let them drive it until she actually bought the car..

Thanks for all the heads up! Especially since I'm a female and it seems countless times when I go places dealing with cars they always try to pull something...Your car needs this or this...I will definitely have someone there with me!
I've never heard of a dealer not allowing the prospective owner to take the car they are going to purchase for a ride - especially if they've put a deposit down on it?!? If my dealer did that to me I'd tell him "Hey, guess what, you not only lost a sale with me but wait til I get on the forums and let them know what fools the dealer thinks the customer's are!" ESPECIALLY in today's market.\
Douge, thanks for the tips.
Oh and don't forget the camera, you'll want to take pix!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
r.i.p.01slpss

Drives: 01 camaro ss (R.I.P) 92 RS
The only instance I've personally seen where you couldn't drive the vehicle until it was purchased is when my dad bought his Corvette, but he could have if he put a deposit down.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
quick question...so the clear coat seal is just wax? like go buy a bottle at pep boys and do it myself wax?
Old 04-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
Jonmalibuss

Drives: 2005 Silverado VHO
Send a message via AIM to Jonmalibuss
I would have to say one the biggest things on that list is inspecting the paint for chips, scratches, and if it's metallic take extra care to look for "runs" in the metal flake. I picked up my 05 Silverado VHO and looked everything over very good but some how missed a huge run in the metal flake going down the rear drivers side door, from about the window to the body line and about 4" wide! But it was about 6 months since i picked it up so at that point I obviously couldn't exactly say I didn't want to accept it. Short of having it repainted I have just learned to live with it.

2005 Silverado VHO: Outlaw intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Belltech drop, 4.11 gears with Eaton LSD, Baer brakes 15" up front with 6 piston calipers, drum to disk 14" conversion for the rear, IForged 22"x10" 2 piece wheels, probably many more mods which I have missed...
Soon to be 2010-2011 Camaro SS/RS This is if the truck is worth trading in or I get it paid off!
Jonmalibuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #8
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Good post!

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Excellent post!! I put this in a word document and will be taking it with me to remember what to look out for!
Old 04-05-2009, 12:27 AM   #10
TJTKSDMJ8
I COMMAND YOU TO HOOK 'EM

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS2/RS R6P
Thanks Douge..

I agree. I'm one of those guys who buys something and gets so excited, I set it up, then I'm lost! I call it the "Clark Griswold" syndrome!
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2009, 12:50 AM   #11
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
RYDM too.

It's wierd that lot of people never read the owners manual. So READ IT as soon as U get the car.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #12
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Very good information!
" First, there was darkness, Then, On March 16th, Scott said LET THERE BE CAMARO, and there was Camaro, and Scott saw that it was good. Camaro5 3:16"

VIN: 2G1FT1EWXA9120523
ETA 7/6/09 (Delivered 7/10/09)
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:42 AM   #13
CurtG

Drives: 350z
I'm not even getting mine for a good while but I just bookmarked this for future reference. Its good advice for any car you intend to buy.
CurtG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:26 AM   #14
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareSS View Post
quick question...so the clear coat seal is just wax? like go buy a bottle at pep boys and do it myself wax?
no it's a clear layer of paint to help seal the color.
But this is done from factory and is not needed.