Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 03-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #43
carguy
Carguy

Drives: 57Chevy,67,80,2@10's camaro's,04SSR
Well Just got back from my cruise late last night...had a cancelled flight in Florida had to spend the night in NC. But, Good News The last e mail I got was...ITS ALIVE ! it started right up and is ready for Hi Gear Burn Outs.

I am going to get there as fast as I can this AM and check it out. Supposed to rain this afternoon hopefully i will get it out for a spin yet today. Either way I will have pics from an SLR camera and hopefully some video all posted today. Those who have seen it are telling the craftsman ship ended up fantastic so will share ASAP ! stay tuned.

2010 SS/RS LS3, 21" Rims, SLP lowering Kit & sway bars, TVS2300, Hennesy CAI, Kooks LT Headrers & Cats, Corsa Exhaust, RIP Shift ST shifter, SLP Hood & Spoiler, Slp Black out package - Grill SS & Rear SS Emblems, ADM Dual Fuel Pump , 3.6 upper Pulley, 10% overdriven Innovators West Crank Pulley& Pin Kit.

.................................................. ..............................
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #44
carguy
Carguy

ok, just stopped by to see my Baby and it is awefyul sweet ! Hood still isnt on it. Still have to find a lead for the tach which I have located on Factory Harness from torn Key just have to tap into it. The guy building it did manage to get a quick test drive in and said it was UNBELIEVABLE ! quote un Quote. All three gears of smoke at will. ( Grin Grin).

Still have to do some ride height adjustments. Front end sits at least 2 inches higher than factory with all the weight savings even with the Blower and inter cooler so I will be looking for some springs right after posting this. Need to drop it two inches and get some good progressive rates on the springs. Will probably throw some polyurethane control arm bushings in while I have them a part. Cleaning up the underside of the hood now so should be on next visit. I cant express my pleasure in the quality of the craftmanship. This thing looks completely factory ! Have to put freon in AC unit yet and a few small other items. Unfortunately it started pouring the minute I got to the shop so no drives or out side pics. I did take some pics with a 11 mega pixel camara and have some short video of it running so hope to have those posted sometime today. As soon as the weather breaks I will get it outside for a better photo shoot but keep in mind it will need to be lowered up front. also needs some serious front end alignment so still a few tweaks but man just to hear that baby sing and idle but boy does she bark. Literally scared the crap outa myself when I wound it up and this aint my first rodeo. This is going to be one bad SOB.

I will post updates hopefully daily at this point. Got some real work....the kind that pays the bills , to do today to catch up from the cruise but we will get on it ASAP.

The suspense is killing Me I need to drive this bad boy.

Will post pics and links as soon as I can !

2010 SS/RS LS3, 21" Rims, SLP lowering Kit & sway bars, TVS2300, Hennesy CAI, Kooks LT Headrers & Cats, Corsa Exhaust, RIP Shift ST shifter, SLP Hood & Spoiler, Slp Black out package - Grill SS & Rear SS Emblems, ADM Dual Fuel Pump , 3.6 upper Pulley, 10% overdriven Innovators West Crank Pulley& Pin Kit.

.................................................. ..............................
Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #45
carguy
Carguy

here ya go...

Name:  DSC02595.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  168.3 KB

Name:  DSC02596.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  168.7 KB

Old 03-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #46
carguy
Carguy

More

Name:  DSC02597.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  153.2 KB

Name:  DSC02598.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  144.5 KB

Old 03-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #47
carguy
Carguy

Back

I will get better car pics when I can get it outside...still Raining.

I will post short Video on You Tube Shortly. Hood should be on today and might get a drive in tomorrow.

Name:  DSC02602.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  102.7 KB

Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #48
carguy
Carguy

Video ....

Here is a short video I promised. More to Come later. At least you get to hear her Purrrrrrrr....

Well what do You Think ?

Old 03-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #49
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
VERY nice!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #50
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
That thing sounds sweet, flowmaster mufflers i take it?
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #51
carguy
Carguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
That thing sounds sweet, flowmaster mufflers i take it?
Bassani with hand built 3 inch ss exhaust with crossover. No Cats. LT headers from TurnKey Came with motor and LS conversion package.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #52
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Awesome. Finally you got it going.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #53
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
Exhaust sounds awesome, Pretty close to the hand built system i have, I was lucky enough to get a hold of a set of Corsa db black mufflers. I have a video of that on my photobucket just after my head and cam install.
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #54
carguy
Carguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Awesome. Finally you got it going.
Still have a few minor tweaks...but also fixed some loose ends while I had it apart. new Brakes, new seals in Tranny. Had Rock Valley build me a new gas tank and custom pick up and filter system. Had to build intercooler tank to make it look right. A lot of lines to run. Ran all new fuel lines with return line instead of a single pressure line. New tranny cooler lines. Had to mount a lot of stuff like computer and relay box. A lot more complicated with the blower and inter cooler than just dropping an LS motor in. New AC compressor so had to rewire and relocate that. Just a lot of little stuff that took a lot of time.

I am real glad I had the guys doing it that I do. They are very through and very talented especially on the fabrication side. Definitely couldn't have done it around here without them. Only 25,000 people in this town and i wouldn't trust leaving my car just anywhere. Still only 31,000 original miles on the car original paint, interior etc.

Even had some setbacks at Turnkey after ordering the motor. They hadn't done any TVS2300's yet so they ran into a few things they were not expecting as well.

Had to go DBW instead of cable throttle which complicated some of the programing. I was a little concerned what I was gonna get for a tune but it seems to be right on the money. Still have to pick up a tach lead off the bulk head. I have the wire located just need to find a way to tap into it without butchering up the harness. But, that will come.

I am hoping to get some pics with the hood on today. It is really hard to believe it all fits under the factory hood. Its very close and the only two years that it would work on are the 80 and 81's unless you use an 80 or 81 hood on another model year car. I think the hood will work all the way back to 1970. Just will be hard to find the original hood for those years I believe. I haven't been able to locate any 80 or 81 scoops or parts . I was lucky enough to keep mine all these years.

Even going to hook up the air induction solenoid just for fun ! i still have solenoid. I do have to put some new decals on the hood and spoilers which I have just got to do it yet. Already have the perfect guy lined up for that.

Right now I am waiting on lowering springs. It sits a lot higher up front with that all aluminum motor and the weight is moved back a great deal more. So they should be here tomorrow. Gotta get it sitting right.

Slowly making progress though. Good to hear it running and getting it down the road for a test ride so the hard part is over. Let the fun begin.

Like the better Camara...LOL

Still more to come......

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #55
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
With the stock hood it'll be a nice sleeper... 80's weren't the best performance wise.

Did the cold air intake work off of vacuum signal?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #56
carguy
Carguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
With the stock hood it'll be a nice sleeper... 80's weren't the best performance wise.

Did the cold air intake work off of vacuum signal?
No...electric solanoid on the gas pedal. I have located a boost wire from the bulk head coupler and if we can get it figured out we may set it up to open under boost instead of throttle position.

in 1980 the Camaro Z28 was the highest horsepower camaro since early seventies with a whopping 190HP with the air induction hood.

When I was in High school I had "Sweet Revenge" pin stripped on the rear spoiler based on an article in Hot Rod that was entitled "Sweet Revenge" based on the fact that it was the first time in a long time, if not ever, that the Z28 had more Horsepower than The Trans Am, because of the air induction hood. A whopping 5 more HP. Wow,oh Boy.

Anyway....It should look completely factory from the outside except from the rear where it is hard to miss the SS fuel Cell and High Volume pumps and Filter but I don't plan on a lot of people approaching from the rear until its too late....if ya know what I mean.

I also have the year one new Factory reproduction 17 inch rims on it so it looks factory from a glance. quite a bit more tire now though but all fits in the wheel wells with a 5 inch back spacing and on all four corners. I had a set of Good Year F1's that I took off my 1999 Camaro SS that were still brand new so I had them mounted on the new 17 by 9's and they look sweet, Close enough to originals yet 17's and on all four corners. A necessity now...will need to rotate them frequently.....

Should handle a lot better too after I get it re aligned and the front end dropped a couple inches. I will keep posting pics and try and keep the thread alive until the project is complete. Back to waiting on some parts Springs etc but still have some things moving forward as we sit here. Really has turned out to be a fun project. Just love the way it runs. It is tight and hi strung but idles like a stocker and starts like a dream. No more dried out accelerator pump diaphrams or stuck needle and seats like on my 6/71 motor. Plus, I can see around corners now and don't have to worry about running over pedestrians while turning right !