Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
headers and yes im still warrantied.

I just added QTP cutouts, holy sh*t are they awesome. I didn't really notice any HP gains but it sounds like I've got 1000 ponies under the hood lol .

I want to grab as much info as possible about going with headers, I need something that wont void my warranty by that I mean something that doesn't require ecu tuning but also sound even louder with the qtps mounted aswell as good fitment. What should I be looking for...

I plan to add LT's and more once my warranty time starts to diminish.

Thanks

Last edited by revived; 12-13-2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: pics
revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Any LT will require a tune to take advantage of HP gains and fuel mixture.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
HFC mid pipes
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
I've got longtubes but the Chevy dealer tuned the rear O2's out I think. I love them.
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
revived
Vrrrm.

are shortys the same deal as long tubes what will either of them do and with HF cats?

So im guessing there isn't any other way to alter this header system without getting the tune right after adding any of them?
ps. nutro, thanks for the kw's there awesome!

Old 12-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by revived View Post
are shortys the same deal as long tubes what will either of them do and with HF cats?

So im guessing there isn't any other way to alter this header system without getting the tune right after adding any of them?
ps. nutro, thanks for the kw's there awesome!
Nice! I wish I never sold them to be honest haha.
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
You'll need a tune with Lt's. Or your CE light will come on.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I made a post in your other thread and will add to it in this one. If you're wanting to install headers and keep a warranty then your choice is shorties. Combine them with a good set of HF cats and that's about it. The gains with shorties isn't mind blowing but there is some HP to pick up and when combining them with the HF cats it's a nice addition.

I originally went this route along with a RotoFab cai, Vmax TB, with a tune and pulled 410rwhp. After that tune I pulled the HF cats, installed cat-less mids, went back for a retune and only picked up a hand full of HP (4rwhp) if I remember correctly. It was a warmer day with a bit more humidity but still, the gain was minimal in my eye. But......... I've decided to just say screw it and put LTs on it anyway. At least I could recover some decent money out of the shorties, HF cats and cat-less mids that I've bought off setting the price of the Phadt LTs & HF cats.

So decide before buying how long you want to really wait, how important your warranty really is and then proceed. If it's going to be a couple years or more before willing to void anything then shorties & HF cats is a fair way to go.
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Ill say this in every warranty thread....if youre not going to do it right, dont do it at all. Lt's need a tune to not only turn the back o2s off, but to realign your fuel trims. Cars that are modified run like piss when theyre not tuned. You're definitely not taking advantage of the horsepower by not tuning, so whats the point?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Like everyone else has said, with Longtubes, you dont NEED a tune to get you going, but to get the most out of the longtubes, its highly recommended.

Its been proven without the Tune the longtubes are safe to run, there AFR's are fairly rich on the factory tune, but it's less then optimal.

Also, did you install those cutouts just for the sound? Of course you wont go any faster, you had them installed AFTER the cats. I bet if you went to the track, you might even go slower because of the low end torque loss.

Cutouts installed after the cats are solely for sound and IMHO a huge waste of money. Muffler deletes would have a nicer more tuned sound and less annoying to live with day to day without adding that extra weight of the cutouts for no performance gain.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Now your going to waste money getting the cutouts off and adding them to your new system when you get the Lt's. Your doing it wrong.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Truthfully longtubes and tune with intake should be the first mods.
I have yet seen any of my customers get denied warrenty. None in the last 12 years.
We even do headers/ tunes for dealers.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
revived
Vrrrm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t&t moyer View Post
I made a post in your other thread and will add to it in this one. If you're wanting to install headers and keep a warranty then your choice is shorties. Combine them with a good set of HF cats and that's about it. The gains with shorties isn't mind blowing but there is some HP to pick up and when combining them with the HF cats it's a nice addition.

I originally went this route along with a RotoFab cai, Vmax TB, with a tune and pulled 410rwhp. After that tune I pulled the HF cats, installed cat-less mids, went back for a retune and only picked up a hand full of HP (4rwhp) if I remember correctly. It was a warmer day with a bit more humidity but still, the gain was minimal in my eye. But......... I've decided to just say screw it and put LTs on it anyway. At least I could recover some decent money out of the shorties, HF cats and cat-less mids that I've bought off setting the price of the Phadt LTs & HF cats.

So decide before buying how long you want to really wait, how important your warranty really is and then proceed. If it's going to be a couple years or more before willing to void anything then shorties & HF cats is a fair way to go.
Im just gonna get the LT's in and stop debating warranty anymore I enjoy the car and don't plan on selling it any time soon.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by revived View Post
Im just gonna get the LT's in and stop debating warranty anymore I enjoy the car and don't plan on selling it any time soon.
Hell ya! Thats the spirit! Warranties are for people that dont know what theyre doing. If you work on your own car or have someone you trust work on it, f- the warranty and make the car what you want!