Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #15
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Drives: 1968 Camaro & 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbheat View Post
Yeah def looking into this thread more often. Good job on your progress so far, love that color and engine bay!
Thanks IB....

I have a lot of interior work to show, along with the new exhaust, wheels and all the fun of the documentation....

BTW....Congrats on COTW!!...Nice Ride...

Kurt ABL99...
Old 03-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #16
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

1st Time around!!

Time for some interior work. I replaced the interior twice due to the lack of funds the first time, and just like the 5th Gen.... "we are never done" ....

Notice the shifter on this upgrade was a Hurst Super Shifter. When it was installed, most of the hump had to be "hacked' out...Gross!!...but that is the way it was back then. I must say it was a real nice and close throw from 2nd to 3rd....and hey..Duct tape worked this long, a little longer won't hurt....
I left it in on this upgrade with new floor pan behind the driver...

Kurt ABL99...
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #17
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
This..is so....

Friggin' cool!!

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #18
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
This..is so....

Friggin' cool!!
Thanks Bad,
I really appreciate the comment!! This Camaro has been a project and a part of the family since 1988....Wow! 26 years!! I love to do as much of the work as I can. Then to be able to bring it to you and the rest of C5.com is the "icing on the cake"...

More to come....about time to "yank" the engine and do some detail work on it and.....what the heck....get the Discover Card out--which reminds me--it got to the point, when I would call Summit Racing, Sales would answer saying, "Well good day Mr. Keller. Will this order be on your Discover Card"?....Talk about getting to know someone!!!...

Kurt ABL99...
Old 03-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #19
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Before I go there, I purchased a 1968 wood grain Camaro steering wheel from Classic Industries in California. Went very nicely with the other wood grain trim on the car.

Kurt ABL99...
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #20
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

I guess a year or two had passed and I was having a good time at the car shows and she did win her fair share of trophies, but something was missing. She had the sound and the look that pleased others, but I needed to "Hot Rod" her some...
In 1992, I had an idea that I would like to borrow from the Corvette Guys of the mid 60s. I wanted to have 4 inch side pipes with headers, a new set of wheels and tires. I had to have the wheels and tires, because the Camaro just would not look right with Corvette Ralley Wheels. The Corvettes of the 70's looked okay with them, but I don't own a Vette...
I called Holley Industries. They handle Hooker Headers. I was pleasantly surprised to find they made just what I was looking for...
Now I was on a quest to find just the right wheel/tire combo. I had a set of Indy 10 Spokes at my disposal. This was just what the Vette guys of the 60's used. Well I weighed the pros and cons of a magnesium wheel vs. American Racing Torque Thrust D.
BTW...I had no idea what all this would look like. I could not find anyone with this setup. Like I said on my 2010 build thread, "I like the idea of buying site unseen. It is what keeps the blood flowing."...
Well as it turned out, I chose the Hooker Header/Sidemount Pipes (chrome) with the American Racing Torque Thrust D with BF Goodrich radial TAs.... Hello Summit Racing...are you there!!!

Note!!...From here the plot thickens....some drama I had not planned on...stay tuned....

Kurt ABL99...
Attached Images

Last edited by aquablueL99; 03-23-2014 at 07:15 AM.
aquablueL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #21
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

...I ordered and received headers, pipes, mufflers, wheels, but no tires. I just could hardly contain myself until this ride was street thumpin' good. Clint Minglin and I started removal of the original headers. The instructions told me it would be so much easier to install the new ones if one had access to a lift....Well, I don't and why would I want to make anything --easy?...
Wow....Left one on.....now right one is on......Look, right one is touching the car...not good. Check the gasket, mounting, motor mount....no luck. It MUST be a bad header. Maybe was setup wrong in the jig when welded....yeah that's it...So I call Summit Racing--we talked the install over. They say not likely to the "jig setup" thing, but if it makes you feel better Kurt, we will be glad to send you a complete set to try. Please do another install of the replacement set and let us know your findings....Oh BTW, we also have in stock a replacement body mount kit....This is more than likely your issue!!...Sure it is...
Fast forward....They were right!!...
Did I say that this is why they are in the business?...
From there, what was going to be a simple exhaust, wheel and tire change, turned into a complete--"Kurt, take everything apart and repair/replace as needed thing". Thank Goodness for WD40!! This was my winter project for sure. I am talking, doghouse, engine, chambered exhaust and just about anything else that got in the way. This started right after Christmas and I finished getting my tires mounted and the front end aligned in June! Not to worry Kurt, "You'll make it."
But Hey, time flies when you are havin' fun! And I did have the time of my life doing this job!...
Attached Images

Last edited by aquablueL99; 04-04-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #22
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Now it is time to begin a plan to assemble things. After having all the needed parts repaired/replaced, I started painting under the car and also under the hood. Detailed the brake system as well.
This hard work will all be worth it in the end...

Kurt ABL99...
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #23
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Next come the rear end. I told you it was a GM 4:10 Posi-trac earlier, but I wanted to document that. We ripped it apart and found all and documented the numbers. While apart, I needed to replace the bearings at the out ends...leaking due to bad seals. I glad I did this, because the axle bearings were shot and also pitted the axle races as well...That ain't good!!....

Called Moser Engineering and they fixed me right up with all the needed goodies.....Great people...they almost know what you need before you tell them.....

Kurt ABL99...
Attached Images

Last edited by aquablueL99; 03-25-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #24
CamaroLB
SoCal HT5 COTW 12/16/2013

Drives: Burning B
Love it! Subscribed!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #25
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Time to get things back together. Start with the engine replacement... that small block slid right into place, like it knew just where it belong. Sure is pretty Chevy-orange...

Once the engine was back in and the headers reconnected...they fit like a glove....Can't wait to fire this beast up without the side pipes.....

Note the shifter....it goes in the next post...replaced with a factory shifter....and console...

Kurt ABL99...
Attached Images

Last edited by aquablueL99; 03-27-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #26
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Awesome Kurt, love all the old time photos~
Old 03-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #27
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

I finished installing the dog house and the engine is now complete and back in it's place. We started working on the wheel/tire application. Test fitting the 15x7 and 15x8 Torque Thrust D wheels let me know this was just the look I was after. I then took the wheels to Rothrock Tire in Monticello, Indiana. Brian Rothrock sold me the tires for her...BF Goodrich Radial TA- P235/60R15 and P275/60R15 on the rear...

Kurt ABL99...
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #28
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Guess I better get rid of that Super Shifter and replace it with a Hurst Competition/Plus. While I was at it, I ordered a complete console for a 1968 Camaro without the gauge package. I replaced the "hacked up hump" from the old shifter install. Also ordered and installed new carpet and new seat covers along with new door skins. Did not like the finished product of the seats on the first go-around...

Console was pretty time consuming, but evenings in the garage has it's rewards...

When all said and done, new interior was definitely worth the time and money...

Kurt ABL99...
Attached Images