Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 03-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #15
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I'm not even gonna take mine in for the free oil changes. I dont know anyone at any dealerships let alone the service technicians. If i'm not trusting them to do a great job when paying them, why would i trust them to do it for free.

Bad enough we have to take it in for a software update to mylink.

I'll keep a log and receipts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
cant believe people still change their own oil like its the 1970s.

When you go in for oil changes at the dealership they keep records. When you sell the car, you have REAL records, when you make warranty claim you have REAL records for everything you have done or not done.

Now if you plan on keeping the car forever you care about having it done right,then you care to much about your car in MY OPINION.
I also don't trust the dealer service people to do an oil change or other service other than warranty work.
I don't trust them to use the correct oil, last time I had an oil change I left with 1/2 QT. low on oil. Does that happen to everyone? And have to trust them that all the other checks were done. Trunk light was out and bulb was not replaced, but it was checked off on the inspection sheet.
When I do my service I know it's done correctly. I'm a former GM tech.
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #16
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:

When you go in for oil changes at the dealership they keep records. When you sell the car, you have REAL records, when you make warranty claim you have REAL records for everything you have done or not done.

Now if you plan on keeping the car forever you care about having it done right,then you care to much about your car in MY OPINION.
Let's see, I've had a needle nose pliers left in my engine bay after an oil change at the dealership.

I've had too much oil put in my car at Tires Plus because they thought it required the same amount as a V8.

And every time I have my oil changed the mechanic drags their foot across the plastic threshold entering the car, leaving dirt and scuff marks on the plastic.

So yep, you can say I care too much.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #17
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
I use the flap on the oil filter box and write the date/ mileage and put it in the glove box. I do it with all my cars and you will never forget where to look.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #18
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I'm not even gonna take mine in for the free oil changes. I dont know anyone at any dealerships let alone the service technicians. If i'm not trusting them to do a great job when paying them, why would i trust them to do it for free.

Bad enough we have to take it in for a software update to mylink.

I'll keep a log and receipts.
Same here. I skipped out on the dealer oil changes. It wasn't worth the potential of them messing something up.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #19
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lDejavul View Post
My Dad had an issue with his car but since he didn't properly document his oil changes GM said his warranty was not valid. Since I will be doing my own oil changes after the first free two, what is the best way to document your oil changes? Besides saving the receipts is there anything else to do? Is there anyway to get GM to document an owner done oil change?
Curious... what was the nature of his problem that the dealer took this route?
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #20
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&M CAMARO 6 View Post
I also don't trust the dealer service people to do an oil change or other service other than warranty work.
I don't trust them to use the correct oil, last time I had an oil change I left with 1/2 QT. low on oil. Does that happen to everyone? And have to trust them that all the other checks were done. Trunk light was out and bulb was not replaced, but it was checked off on the inspection sheet.
When I do my service I know it's done correctly. I'm a former GM tech.
OK so what happens when they screw something up ? You have a warranty and the dealer will make it right. buy your new car, drive it for a few years and sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
Well, a 10 QT oil change from the dealer is only going to be about $125 at most places plus the time you waste going there. So, if I can get the supplies for $60 and take maybe 30 mins to do it then I just paid myself to get it done.
So when i go to buy your car second hand. I run a car history report. I have no clue when you had the car serviced because you do all your own work.

To some people when they sell a car has been professionally serviced and on time its whole life. It does look better.

there was a guy on the mazda forums that did his own oil changes to save money. Later he blew his motor and Mazda wont cover the bill because they had to record he took care of his motor. That a true story.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #21
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
So you keep a record. There's a difference between not having any documentation and saying that any documentation other than a dealer's is moot. OEM's (especially GM) have been trying to scare people into thinking their warranty's will be void if they dont use the dealership for all their maintenance and any work done to the vehicle and only use OEM parts.

Fortunately, this is one area where so far the courts haven't been found to be in the corporate pockets.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #22
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
I just sold my GTO in about 7 hours with nothing but a dry erase board that has the oil, clutch, transmission and rear end oil changes wrote on it. Guy said, "Holy crap, that's a genius idea."

Plus, go look up how much a 55 gallon drum f synthetic oil is and how much the dealer up charges for the gunk they put in.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #23
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lDejavul View Post
My Dad had an issue with his car but since he didn't properly document his oil changes GM said his warranty was not valid. Since I will be doing my own oil changes after the first free two, what is the best way to document your oil changes? Besides saving the receipts is there anything else to do? Is there anyway to get GM to document an owner done oil change?
I don't know if there's a best way, but since I use a custom blended oil in my cars, and have since 2008 or so, I've always done the oil change myself and also had an oil analysis done after every oil change so you can see what's going on inside the engine.

If you go to a place and they change your oil, just keep the reciept and a printout of the service you opt for.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #24
RuthleSSchevy

Drives: 2016Camaro+1968Chevelle+1954BelAir
On star or owners login on chevrolet website allows you to add any type of service records to your vin. Even car washes as an option. This info shows up just as a dealer service would, only its your name or whoever you type in that shows up next to it.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #25
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Really????????????????????????

I've saved enough on car servicing over the years to PAY for my SS.
I've had 69 cars that have only darkened the doors of a dealer service dept a half dozen times.
It's enjoyable, I have the skilz, and I have a lift. Why wouldn't I do my own work?

I also have the peace of mind knowing it's been done right..

Sadly We have become a service economy ........
Guys like you keep it all going!
Old 05-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #26
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
Really????????????????????????

I've saved enough on car servicing over the years to PAY for my SS.
I've had 69 cars that have only darkened the doors of a dealer service dept a half dozen times.
It's enjoyable, I have the skilz, and I have a lift. Why wouldn't I do my own work?

I also have the peace of mind knowing it's been done right..

Sadly We have become a service economy ........
Guys like you keep it all going!
I agree.....

I managed warranty for BMW, Porsche and Honda for 30 years. All the companies work the same. If I had an engine come it and it was blown up and we didn't show any service records on it, I wouldn't immediately turn down the warranty, because it created so much paperwork. you also had to get the lawyers involved which was a pain in the ass. You can tell on teardown whether the oil's been changed… In general. If it looked bad, I would ask for an oil composition test through somebody like Blackstone. If it came back that it was massively dirty and had never been changed , THEN the guy would have a warranty problem. I suspect Due to legality, GM works the same.

When the engine grenades, you don't really look at the engine first, you look at the ECM history.

I'm sure specific dealers can be dicks, but this is not the industry trend; Catching people on self oil changes.

Last edited by Glen e; 05-02-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #27
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
There is also an app called CarPros that I use. It will let you record all sorts of things and help keep up with service intervals. It's pretty nice.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #28
MarkZ

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
My main motivation is that I will avoid having a mechanic drag their boots across the plastic threshold like they always seem to do.
OMG yes. This just happened to me on Tuesday. If it was me- no problem, my bad. Someone else- not acceptable.