Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 09-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #1499
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Need to heat those stock tires up. Perform a good burnout and get them hot. Don't be afraid to smoke the tires.
in a manual car how does one do a burnout? I have never tried one but i always thought you would use first gear but i have read elsewhere to use second gear. thoughts?

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #1500
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsusmithc2 View Post
I guess I need to get a tune it looks like. That or hope the cold weather shows up soon. I still haven't managed to do better than 14.31 yet and I've got CAI w/scoop, cat-back, TB, and stock RS wheels/tires. Don't think I've trapped any better than 98, maybe 99.

My record time was set in Valdosta back in May, so it was kinda warm, and the last time I was at the track a couple weekends ago I hit 14.37, also still warm. I average in the 14.5 area +/- and my 60' times are generally between 2.1 and 2.3 (could be better, obv).

I've tried launching with nannies on as has been suggested and I've found that to be a bad idea, for me at least. Pretty much instant power loss at launch or at least it felt that way last time. I was also spinning out pretty bad on most of my runs other than the first half of the day and even lowering the psi down to 30 didn't seem to help.

Oh well, every day, every track, every car, and every run is all just a little different. I want to hit 13.99 or better and the vibe I'm getting from this thread seems to suggest that should be easily possible.
It heavily depends on the conditions of the day. I have a lot of mods, and have yet to break 13s but it's also 105 degrees consistently here so that kills a lot of power for me. When the weather gets better, I hope to break into the 13s.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #1501
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge.128 View Post
in a manual car how does one do a burnout? I have never tried one but i always thought you would use first gear but i have read elsewhere to use second gear. thoughts?
Rev and hold at about 3,700 then dump the clutch (fully release it quickly) then slam on the brakes with your left foot while flooring it. Personally I say dumb it from first on street tires and 2nd for radials.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #1502
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Drop the rears to 23-25 pounds, 30 isn't going to do much. Leave the fronts at 34-36, 38 is too much imo. But definitely lower the back way more.
Er I won't be dropping them that low. I have an hour drive home on the highway and that low of a PSI on my DD tires doesn't make me feel comfortable. Thanks for the advice though if I ever do get a second set of tires to use and such.

Quote:
Need to heat those stock tires up. Perform a good burnout and get them hot. Don't be afraid to smoke the tires.
I always do a burnout before my run. I have no problem smoking my tires, lol. Hence why I am already replacing them soon after almost 20k miles. I am down 2/32 tread life on the rears, lol. I've even done an 80mph burnout

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #1503
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Er I won't be dropping them that low. I have an hour drive home on the highway and that low of a PSI on my DD tires doesn't make me feel comfortable. Thanks for the advice though if I ever do get a second set of tires to use and such.
Why don't you fill them back up with air before you leave? I have a small air compressor I take with me in case of emergencies anyway so I usually drop them that low and then fill them up when I leave

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #1504
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Word all the tracks I've been to in NJ offer free air stations to fill back up. Atco, Island, and Englishtown.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #1505
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Why don't you fill them back up with air before you leave? I have a small air compressor I take with me in case of emergencies anyway so I usually drop them that low and then fill them up when I leave

That is what I do.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #1506
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:

I always do a burnout before my run. I have no problem smoking my tires, lol. Hence why I am already replacing them soon after almost 20k miles. I am down 2/32 tread life on the rears, lol. I've even done an 80mph burnout

I took another look at your time slips, I believe the main issue is the weather. It was wamr that evening according to the DA web site that many of us use. Your DA was over 1800. That is a time killer. I looked back over all my passes and found my highest DA passes and compared times. They are somwhat similiar.

Go agin when the air is in the 50's and you will be surprised at how much better your times should be.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #1507
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Quote:
I don't have one of those, lol. Guess I should invest in one then. Would the compressor in my trunk work? And my track doesn't offer free air that I know of. I'll ask next time I am there.

Also, I try to be careful with these tires since they are my DD tires.

Quote:
I took another look at your time slips, I believe the main issue is the weather. It was wamr that evening according to the DA web site that many of us use. Your DA was over 1800. That is a time killer. I looked back over all my passes and found my highest DA passes and compared times. They are somwhat similiar.

Go agin when the air is in the 50's and you will be surprised at how much better your times should be.
Yea the weather is either cool here (70s-low 80s) with high humidity or low humidity and high temps during the summer. I go for fun though and don't mind what I run. Tomorrow night I am hoping for decent temps and humidity based on the weather this week so far. The last time I will be there is next month at the last Midnight Madness so hoping for cool temps again. I ran really good at the beginning of the season (14.2 and was pretty much stock as well as was my first time at the track).

Is there a way to correct the times? Just curious is all.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #1508
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:

Quote:
I don't have one of those, lol. Guess I should invest in one then. Would the compressor in my trunk work? And my track doesn't offer free air that I know of. I'll ask next time I am there.

Also, I try to be careful with these tires since they are my DD tires.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #1509
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
WE ALL have a small air compressor (at least if you bought your camaro new or the previous owner didnt keep it) - yes it will work - I use it to keep the tire pressure at a constant 42psi (yes I over inflate a bit). Just make sure you have the knob in the right position when you crank it on - don't want to pump that green gunk in your tires!!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #1510
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
WE ALL have a small air compressor (at least if you bought your camaro new or the previous owner didnt keep it) - yes it will work - I use it to keep the tire pressure at a constant 42psi (yes I over inflate a bit). Just make sure you have the knob in the right position when you crank it on - don't want to pump that green gunk in your tires!!
Not if you have the spare tire option
Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #1511
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Rev and hold at about 3,700 then dump the clutch (fully release it quickly) then slam on the brakes with your left foot while flooring it. Personally I say dumb it from first on street tires and 2nd for radials.
Just don't forget to switch both the traction control and stabilitrak off or you'll likely stall out.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #1512
fsusmithc2
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 50th Anniversary
Quote:
It heavily depends on the conditions of the day. I have a lot of mods, and have yet to break 13s but it's also 105 degrees consistently here so that kills a lot of power for me. When the weather gets better, I hope to break into the 13s.
Yeah I'm hoping for better times once the temps get lower. Another factor of my spinning all of that afternoon could very well be that I was getting dangerously low on fuel towards the end of the day and maybe I was getting a little too light in the back. Started the day with a little over a quarter tank but I did put in some 9 or 10 passes.

Also I did make my first real attempt at any kind of burnout on my last run. They were having a "G-Body Shootout" event and it was about to kick off and I was "encouraged" to clean off the tires before my run. So I hit the water for the first time ever, rolled past it a smidge, and gave it a go. Didn't smoke them but I did what I aimed to so that was fun. Might have to do it more often, though I don't welcome the price tag on a new set of shoes for these 20"s any time soon.
Current: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary (#350)- 12.22 @ 115mph
- MX0 8-speed automatic, CF5 power sunroof

Former: 2012 1LT/RS A6 - 14.11 @ 99.75mph

Order: TMFF65
1100 - 5/19/16 | 2000 - 5/26/16 | 3000 - 6/1/16
3100 - 6/6/16 (TPW 6/20) | 3300 - 6/9/16
3400 - 6/10/16 | 4200 - 6/23/16 | 4300 - 6/28/16
5000 - 6/30/16 | 6000 - 7/1/16

Club F1FTY
fsusmithc2 is offline   Reply With Quote