Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-06-2022, 02:08 PM   #1
Ernie70

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro 1LT
Polish recommendations

Looking to switch up the polish brands, for the one I have been using is no longer available . I like to put a good polish on her about every few months , cause in between she is always coated with CS3 and washed about every weekend lol. What are some good recommendations you guys may have?
I have been looking at the Adams Hand Polish, Brilliant Glaze , or going back to my old school Mequires.
Ernie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
Dave-G

Drives: 2011 RS/2LT- manual
I am a complete convert to chemical guys products. I'm a Synergy guy as well, and it shines like a diamond all the time!
Dave-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:58 PM   #3
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I use the Chemical Guys product as well, Cherry Wet wax for a deep rich shine, and the Blazin Banana spray wax for a bright vibrant shine. Here is a pic of the Banana wax.

Name:  don 5.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  207.9 KB

Old 08-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #4
Ernie70

Thanks guys , I will look into the Guys Products. I am really into preserving the stripes from fading as well.

Hey Jewl , what is the difference between the Cherry and the Butter Wax?
Old 08-07-2022, 06:43 PM   #5
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie70 View Post
Looking to switch up the polish brands, for the one I have been using is no longer available . I like to put a good polish on her about every few months , cause in between she is always coated with CS3 and washed about every weekend lol. What are some good recommendations you guys may have?
I have been looking at the Adams Hand Polish, Brilliant Glaze , or going back to my old school Mequires.
Usually the term polish is reserved for something with abrasives for deep cleaning or correcting a paint finish. Is this what you are looking for, or are you looking for a pure protectant like a wax or synthetic sealant with NO abrasives?

BTW, if you haven't guessed it from my latest posts in this forum, I'm a Turtle Wax guy and HIGHLY recommend the Hybrid Solutions/Hybrid Solutions Pro lines of non-abrasive pure sealants.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:50 PM   #6
Ernie70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
Usually the term polish is reserved for something with abrasives for deep cleaning or correcting a paint finish. Is this what you are looking for, or are you looking for a pure protectant like a wax or synthetic sealant with NO abrasives?

BTW, if you haven't guessed it from my latest posts in this forum, I'm a Turtle Wax guy and HIGHLY recommend the Hybrid Solutions/Hybrid Solutions Pro lines of non-abrasive pure sealants.
Welllll , kinda both lol . I like to do a every month or 2 clay bar & wax/sealent , and usually a once a year polish.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:00 AM   #7
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Welllll , kinda both lol . I like to do a every month or 2 clay bar & wax/sealent , and usually a once a year polish.
This is just my OPINION, but if you're claying every 2 months or so, that's too often. UNLESS you're getting a lot of fallout on your car. The way to tell if claying is NEEDED, is to use the "Baggie Test." Simply all you need to do is wash the car (so loose dirt won't give you a false positive), then take a clean sandwich baggie and put it over your hand. Then take your hand and gently run it over your finish. If it feels smooth, then there's no reason to clay the car. If it feels bumpy or rough, THEN you should clay the car. The baggie magnifies the FEEL of any fallout that is there, so you will be able to feel the fallout.

You don't need to run your baggie covered hand over the whole car, just areas where fallout can collect, the tops - hood, roof, trunk lid and the sides of the car behind the tires (where brake dust can collect) and the rear end - where ALL the dirt seems to collect when you drive your car. If these areas are smooth, skip the clay.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #8
Ernie70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
This is just my OPINION, but if you're claying every 2 months or so, that's too often. UNLESS you're getting a lot of fallout on your car. The way to tell if claying is NEEDED, is to use the "Baggie Test." Simply all you need to do is wash the car (so loose dirt won't give you a false positive), then take a clean sandwich baggie and put it over your hand. Then take your hand and gently run it over your finish. If it feels smooth, then there's no reason to clay the car. If it feels bumpy or rough, THEN you should clay the car. The baggie magnifies the FEEL of any fallout that is there, so you will be able to feel the fallout.

You don't need to run your baggie covered hand over the whole car, just areas where fallout can collect, the tops - hood, roof, trunk lid and the sides of the car behind the tires (where brake dust can collect) and the rear end - where ALL the dirt seems to collect when you drive your car. If these areas are smooth, skip the clay.
Hi Don. Thanks for the advice , I like the sandwich bag idea! To be a lil more specific. As you stated about the clay bar , I only do spots I feel are rough, not the whole car. We have quite a few trees in the parking lot at my work , so pending where I can park , only usually the roof gets contaminated often. I am however paranoid about fade and UV protectant.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:10 PM   #9
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Hi Don. Thanks for the advice , I like the sandwich bag idea! To be a lil more specific. As you stated about the clay bar , I only do spots I feel are rough, not the whole car. We have quite a few trees in the parking lot at my work , so pending where I can park , only usually the roof gets contaminated often. I am however paranoid about fade and UV protectant.
You are overthinking things and making yourself paranoid about something will probably never happen. The 2 main reasons a modern clear coat paint job fails is because of 1) A bad or poor quality paint job from the factory or body shop. Or 2) Prolonged abuse and neglect over a course of years.

There's nothing, maintenance-wise, you can do about a bad paint job. If the paint fails because of bad paint, you could have washed and waxed the car every day and it still would have failed. Not because of anything you did or didn't do, it was simply a bad paint job.

And I get from what you posted, failure from lack of care, just isn't going to happen.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:42 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Thanks guys , I will look into the Guys Products. I am really into preserving the stripes from fading as well.

Hey Jewl , what is the difference between the Cherry and the Butter Wax?
If you are referring to the Chemical Guys Cherry wet wax and the Butter wet wax, the difference is the shine you get. The Cherry wax will give you a rich deep gloss that brings out the cars color, and the Butter wax will give you a bright, shiny wet look gloss, same as my Blazin Banana spray wax, except the Butter wax is a liquid like the Cherry wax. You can use a microfiber applicator, or a random orbital with a microfiber pad to apply the Cherry and Butter wax. Do 1 section of the car at a time, and wipe with a clean microfiber towel after it hazes, and be amazed. Of course you need to make sure the surface is really clean before you use them. I suggest a good clay bar job before. Here is a pic of the Cherry wet wax..

Name:  IMG_2000.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  447.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2001.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  444.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2002.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  432.3 KB

Old 08-09-2022, 06:14 PM   #11
Dave-G

Drives: 2011 RS/2LT- manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
If you are referring to the Chemical Guys Cherry wet wax and the Butter wet wax, the difference is the shine you get. The Cherry wax will give you a rich deep gloss that brings out the cars color, and the Butter wax will give you a bright, shiny wet look gloss, same as my Blazin Banana spray wax, except the Butter wax is a liquid like the Cherry wax. You can use a microfiber applicator, or a random orbital with a microfiber pad to apply the Cherry and Butter wax. Do 1 section of the car at a time, and wipe with a clean microfiber towel after it hazes, and be amazed. Of course you need to make sure the surface is really clean before you use them. I suggest a good clay bar job before. Here is a pic of the Cherry wet wax..

Attachment 1105775

Attachment 1105776

Attachment 1105777

Good lord that car is beautiful....
Dave-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:17 AM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-G View Post
Good lord that car is beautiful....
lol, thank you sir!!! Yea I get that a lot. She sure turns heads wherever I go, and if the looks don't do it, the sound of the Corsa exhaust and the big cam gets it done!! Appreciate the love sir!! Took me many many years to get the look and sound I was looking for.. 12 years old, 127k miles and NO garage, just a carport and car cover for protection..
Old 08-10-2022, 10:30 AM   #13
Ernie70

Quote:

Attachment 1105775

Attachment 1105776

Attachment 1105777

Gorgeous buddy! I am liking the look Of the Wet Cherry! Might give that a try. Hold off on the Banana spray , for I still have a little under a gallon of CS3 left lol.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:14 AM   #14
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Quote:

Attachment 1105775

Attachment 1105776

Attachment 1105777

Beautiful 5th Gen!

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote