Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-28-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
crewxp

Drives: 2LT RS Summit White Camaro
Happens every few months. Engine overheats. Does not on highway. Coolant Res empty

This happens every few months, especially when it gets hot for the first time. My engine overheats when I'm city driving or at lights a lot. When I'm going city to city on the highway, it never overheats. The moment I get off the highway and get stuck at a light, it overheats. My res is empty, but I keep filling it up everytime I see it empty with Prestone Dex 50/50. It keeps overheating for a few weeks then works fine until the res is empty again in a month or two. The only time I check the res is when the car is hot and I have to pull over. Is it normal to be empty when hot?

Any suggestions on what to check? I've brought it to 2 shops and they say everything is fine and just offer to flush the system and put coolant. I want to learn how to diagnose myself.

I just had the coolant flushed 4 months ago. No signs of coolant coloring under the car, could be that it dries too fast. I hear the fan go on once the coolant temp reaches 225.

2010 Camaro. 60K miles.
crewxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I don't know what stock programming is for the fans, but 225 sounds high for stop and go driving in TX. My fans are programmed to come on full speed at 160. I never get above 200 degrees in stop and go traffic.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
If the coolant reservoir is bone dry you have a leak somewhere. I had the same issue, every couple of months the overflow tank would be empty. Turns out I had a head gasket leak. I would get your engine pressure tested.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #4
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Agree on the leak comments.

Sometimes you can get a very small or steam leak; it never leaks enough to drip onto the ground but when it gets hot and gets up to pressure, it will leak and quickly vaporize. You can sometimes find it by smell or use a bright, led style flashlight and look for vapor around the radiator, hose joints, etc.

If you can get somebody to help you, look up at them and say “you smell that?” and give a knowing look. (this last part is a joke if it isn’t obvious)
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:36 AM   #5
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
If your radiator cap is failing, and not keeping pressure, that coolant escapes
into the reservoir, and over-flows. So, when the car cools off and the coolant
is pulled back into the motor, the over-flow is emptied.

I had a bad cap, and that's where all my coolant went, right out the over-flow.

Verify the O-ring is good, and that it's holding pressure. A sign of a bad cap
will also be a collapsing upper radiator hose. That was also a result of a cap
that was not holding any pressure.

UPPER RAD HOSE COLLAPSED:

Check the over-flow for dripping and wet spots.

Check the upper rad hose for firmness when hot, for pressure.

While driving, watch your temp gauge for 220+ degree readings, then a drastic drop.
That is when the thermostat opens with the low coolant.

If you have no visible leaks, then you will need to do a pressure test, for a bad
head gasket.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Ditto on the rad cap. My upper hose lost pressure after drives. Replaced cap and all was fixed. I decided to change the t-stat and fluid in the rad at the same time. 7 years old, it couldn't hurt.

BTW, get an AC Delco cap. I tried a NAPA cap first and the psi was wrong eventhough the specs said it was the same.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
crewxp

Drives: 2LT RS Summit White Camaro
thanks guys for the replies. I bought a gallon 5050 mixture and filled it up cold. Following the manual's instructions, I seemed to have topped the radiator off.

It took 3/4 of a gallon to fill the block/radiator. If I was missing this much, does anyone know how bad it was? I then used the rest of the bottle to fill the overflow tank.

I'm going to monitor it for now and buy a coolant pressure kit to test in a week or so.

I was also low on oil, dipstick was completely dry except for the very bottom, but I just had the oil changed 2 months ago. No oil warnings on the dash either. Can overheating cause a loss in oil? Heading to the store now to buy 2 quarts or so.

Pics below:

crewxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #8
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Replace the cap, the O-ring gasket is shot.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Please, please check your fluids every time you fill up on gas. Doing this will keep you in the loop with potential future issues. My radiator fan usually kicks in around 220, those temps are concerning.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:06 AM   #10
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Who changed the oil? You or someone else?
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:48 AM   #11
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
Please, please check your fluids every time you fill up on gas. Doing this will keep you in the loop with potential future issues. My radiator fan usually kicks in around 220, those temps are concerning.
Correct here but never open a radiator cap when the engine is hot.
Besides looking for leaks and getting a new cap, check to make sure the fans are even coming on.
FasNuf is online now   Reply With Quote