Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
TheBumblebeeBoy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS TF3 Edition
In need of advice...

So the unexpected happened about a week ago fellas. I started hearing a bad knock coming from the motor and a warning message that read "Low oil pressure - turn off engine". So I took it down to my local Chevrolet to get it diagnosed see what the problem was. The shop called me 2 hours later with some terrible news. He said my 6 year old ls3 with just over 60k miles on the odometer is done and that the bee needs a new motor. I'm still in disbelief about this happening since I don't give it a hard time on the road and only drive it every other weekend and maintenance is always done on time. What do you guys suggest? Not sure if I want to drop that much money to get a new motor put in it but at the same time I wouldn't want to get rid of it. Not sure what would be the best thing to do really?...
TheBumblebeeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I've been hearing about the ls3 oil pump failure. It sounds like a common problem. Ask about a TSB, and have the dealer diagnose the direct cause of the engine failure. From there you may be able to determine what to do next. If it ends up being the fault of the oil pump, then if it were me I would fight the dealer tooth and nail for an engine replacement at their expense.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
There is a VERY well documented history of oil-pump failures in LS3's...there's a bunch of threads here with many failures, and yes there is a service bulletin from GM about it, but there was never an actual recall as far as I know.

If your dealer isn't willing to help you out at all, and you want to keep the car, your cheapest option is going to be to find a used LS3 and have it swapped in (and replace the oil pump).
Old 04-13-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
Camaro_Mike

Drives: 2011 CGM SS LS3
Are you sure you need a new motor? Why did the dealer say you need a motor? You could just replace the oil pump and see if that works. When my oil pump went I pulled the heads and did a cam swamp. My cam was showing grove marks from my lifters so we replaced lifters and cam.
Camaro_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote