Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-12-2020, 06:18 AM   #29
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Of course its going to be more expensive than a Silverado. Its a freakin' Hummer. They were NEVER cheap. I'm 99% sure that the H1 was the first vehicle GM ever sold in the 6 figures (though some Cadillacs in the old days might have been up there, once you adjust for inflation). The H2 cost about as much as an Escalade, if not more. The H3 was around 50% more expensive than a Trailblazer or Colorado. They have never been affordable vehicles for the masses. So I don't know why anybody would expect the new ones to be anything different. Yes, the new electric Hummers will be expensive ... but new gasoline powered Hummers would be expensive too. As would diesel or CNG or hydrogen or whatever else.

That high price point is almost certainly the reason why GM made the decision to revamp it as an EV brand: so that they can actually make money off of an electric vehicle for once. (Cadillac ELR doesn't count, it was a hybrid like the Volt ... and it still might have been a net loss anyway given that it sold in abysmally small numbers)
Yea, I guess if it comes in at twice the price of a Silverado LT or Sierra SLE, so be it. As I said, they will obviously be priced much higher than these mid-level trucks, but will GM be able to move enough volume to justify the Hummer? I'm hoping that it works out.

Now all we need is more charging stations and also more stations that don't rely on gasoline or diesel.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:32 AM   #30
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
There is no “moving enough volume” for EVs right now imo

It’s still in investment phase
Old 02-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #31
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
There is no “moving enough volume” for EVs right now imo

It’s still in investment phase
I'm not sure how GM expects to make money any time soon with them but they're all-in apparently and not even interested in the Voltec powertrain as a stop gap. They can't ride on truck/cuv profits forever.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:36 AM   #32
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Yeah it’s crazy.

Is voltec the volt style drivetrain?
Yes. It was used in the Volt, ELR and a few Holden models.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #33
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
we'll just keep our stick-shift H3
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #34
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Of course its going to be more expensive than a Silverado. Its a freakin' Hummer. They were NEVER cheap. I'm 99% sure that the H1 was the first vehicle GM ever sold in the 6 figures (though some Cadillacs in the old days might have been up there, once you adjust for inflation). The H2 cost about as much as an Escalade, if not more. The H3 was around 50% more expensive than a Trailblazer or Colorado. They have never been affordable vehicles for the masses. So I don't know why anybody would expect the new ones to be anything different. Yes, the new electric Hummers will be expensive ... but new gasoline powered Hummers would be expensive too. As would diesel or CNG or hydrogen or whatever else.

That high price point is almost certainly the reason why GM made the decision to revamp it as an EV brand: so that they can actually make money off of an electric vehicle for once. (Cadillac ELR doesn't count, it was a hybrid like the Volt ... and it still might have been a net loss anyway given that it sold in abysmally small numbers)
DG... great to see you're still around.
i gotta say, though - i'm willing to bet they're still trying to recover from their whole H2 advertising campaign that pitched owning a Hummer meant you were tough, wanted to look like a balla, & had enough cash to not care about fuel mileage or the environment.

that ultimately shot them in the foot when the market took a downturn a dozen yrs ago. it also hurt the H3, which they had to then tout as the economical luxury choice that was all about offroad adventure. owning an H3 now, it's a surprisingly nice dial-back from the H2 gaudiness with great drivability, awesome stock offroad capability, and relatively good efficiency for a 5000lb AWD truck on 34"s... all while having pretty decent comfort amenities for a 10yr old base-model truck (because even the base levels had most of the same standard features as the high-end options).
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:21 PM   #35
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I wonder if the new hummer will have much resemblance to the H3T? I don't know what it is about them, but with the luxury package or perhaps an aftermarket bumper and wheels I kind of like them.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:58 AM   #36
aloppen
Camaro Chief

Drives: 1968 Camaro Convertible
All of your questions will be answered on May 20, including what I've been doing for the last year in EV-land. Until then, did you expect any less performance on the Hummer EV from your Camaro Chief?
aloppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #37
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloppen View Post
All of your questions will be answered on May 20, including what I've been doing for the last year in EV-land. Until then, did you expect any less performance on the Hummer EV from your Camaro Chief?
Can't wait for this...
Old 02-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #38
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #39
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Old 04-18-2020, 01:19 AM   #40
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Reveal delayed.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #41
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gm...20-hummer.html

Removable roof panels.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #42
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I can't wait to see this thing. Never been excited for an EV before.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote