Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #1
Elmobeg6

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Upgrading Throttle Body Questions!

So I have a few questions if you guys can help me out. I’ve been considering getting a new throttle Body.
Question #1 - if I get a bigger throttle body do I need a tune? Or can I just install it and be good to go without a tune, I’m worried about getting a tune because I don’t want my warranty to be voided.
Question #2- what is the best throttle Body to buy I have a 14 SS L99 Automatic, I’ve looked through some forums on here and all the posts are from like 2013 and stuff I haven’t seen a newer post.
Question #3 - what are the advantages and disadvantages of upgrading the throttle body.
Question #4- last is it even worth upgrading over the stock one?

Only reason I’m considering upgrading is because sometimes my car does this rough idle randomly where it like shakes and feels like it’s gone stall it only lasts for about 2 seconds, than everything goes back to normal for a few weeks. I took it to Chevy to check it out, they did a “ fuel cleaner service “ they charged me $300 they said they cleaned the throttle bottle, cleaned injectors all kinds of stuff. The idle thing doesn’t happen as often now, but I feel like they ripped me off with this so called “ fuel service package “ Thank you for taking time out of your day guys to answer my questions. Sorry I’m a Noob to modding cars lol.
Elmobeg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #2
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
You won’t need a tune but disconnecting the battery will help the ecu relearn the new increased flow.
Best? Different for everyone - solar performance or katech make great ones and they are brand new throttle bodies that they modify and not used.
Better throttle response is the main reason to get one and may add a few ponies
Defiantly worth the upgrade due to throttle response plus it’s a easy bolt on
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
# 1-You can't install a bigger TB on a stock intake, only a ported stock one will fit. If you want a bigger one you will need an aftermarket "102mm" manifold to accept the bigger TB.
#2-I have a VMAX ported TB on mine currently and it gave me quicker throttle response and will work on your intake.
#3-Better response and if you go bigger along with an intake manifold, more power and response.
#4-A ported one, yes. These are just my experiences and opinions. But been there. Hope this helps ya out.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:20 PM   #4
GAD

Drives: Silver 2014 Camaro 2SS
I don't have an upgrade TB. So I can't speak on first hand experiences but my car has been to 4 different tuners since I've had it. All 4 of them said a ported TB is a waste of money, especially for NA. BUT they also told me flex fuel kit was a waste of money also and I still got one haha.
2014 Silver 2SS L99 with Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Cat-less 3” exhaust, TS Stage 3.2 VVT CAM, Circle D 3200 Stall, E85 Kit, FIC 850cc injectors and Elite Engineering Catch Can. Dynoed at 478rwhp.
GAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:45 PM   #5
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
If you're looking for horsepower, it's not worth the money but if you're looking for throttle response, it's worth every penny.

That said, it won't fix the rough idle issue.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD View Post
I don't have an upgrade TB. So I can't speak on first hand experiences but my car has been to 4 different tuners since I've had it. All 4 of them said a ported TB is a waste of money, especially for NA. BUT they also told me flex fuel kit was a waste of money also and I still got one haha.
Yea my ported TB got rid of the little dull spot I had in the throttle response with the stock one. No tune, just the TB. So not a waste for me! lol.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #7
GAD

Drives: Silver 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Yea my ported TB got rid of the little dull spot I had in the throttle response with the stock one. No tune, just the TB. So not a waste for me! lol.
Heck ya! Good to hear. Not sure I know what a dull spot is lol. So I guess hopefully I don't have any!
2014 Silver 2SS L99 with Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Cat-less 3” exhaust, TS Stage 3.2 VVT CAM, Circle D 3200 Stall, E85 Kit, FIC 850cc injectors and Elite Engineering Catch Can. Dynoed at 478rwhp.
GAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #8
hudson773
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 camaro SS
how does changing a perfectly functioning throttle body with an aftermarket copy give you "better throttle response". really don't understand that, it is only an air flap.
hudson773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:16 AM   #9
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson773 View Post
how does changing a perfectly functioning throttle body with an aftermarket copy give you "better throttle response". really don't understand that, it is only an air flap.
It has to do with how the stock throttle body is machined. It has a long flat area that extends out from the bottom of the blade that restricts air flow until the blade is farther open. By removing that additional material, more air can flow at a smaller throttle opening which makes it much more responsive to input.
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD View Post
Heck ya! Good to hear. Not sure I know what a dull spot is lol. So I guess hopefully I don't have any!
lol, if you had one you would know it. Stock with a CAI when I would get on if it would rev up to about 1200 and just go kinda blaahhh til 1500 then pick back up, and that was even with my CAI, after the ported TB when you got on it she would just fly right past that blaaahhh spot and keep going.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
It has to do with how the stock throttle body is machined. It has a long flat area that extends out from the bottom of the blade that restricts air flow until the blade is farther open. By removing that additional material, more air can flow at a smaller throttle opening which makes it much more responsive to input.
Very well said sir, couldn't have said it any better, plus the front side is machined out a tad more than it was and tapered and spiral cut. At least mine is. Now I have Nick Williams 103mm sitting here to install on my LOD intake.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:29 AM   #12
Car Nation Videos
YouTube-Car Nation Videos

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmobeg6 View Post
So I have a few questions if you guys can help me out. I’ve been considering getting a new throttle Body.
Question #1 - if I get a bigger throttle body do I need a tune? Or can I just install it and be good to go without a tune, I’m worried about getting a tune because I don’t want my warranty to be voided.
Question #2- what is the best throttle Body to buy I have a 14 SS L99 Automatic, I’ve looked through some forums on here and all the posts are from like 2013 and stuff I haven’t seen a newer post.
Question #3 - what are the advantages and disadvantages of upgrading the throttle body.
Question #4- last is it even worth upgrading over the stock one?

Only reason I’m considering upgrading is because sometimes my car does this rough idle randomly where it like shakes and feels like it’s gone stall it only lasts for about 2 seconds, than everything goes back to normal for a few weeks. I took it to Chevy to check it out, they did a “ fuel cleaner service “ they charged me $300 they said they cleaned the throttle bottle, cleaned injectors all kinds of stuff. The idle thing doesn’t happen as often now, but I feel like they ripped me off with this so called “ fuel service package “ Thank you for taking time out of your day guys to answer my questions. Sorry I’m a Noob to modding cars lol.
You’re going to get different answers from everybody, but here are my opinions.

Yes you will need a tune, but not the end of the world if you don’t. It will give you more air so your computer will give your engine more fuel. Which makes more HP. It will also gives you a quicker throttle response. If I were you I would leave the throttle body alone and put your money somewhere else. I would fix your issue by tuning it up with the basics like new spark plugs and bigger plug wires.

The best throttle body to buy is opinionated.

The advantages are more air, quicker throttle response. I know you might want a hp number but it won’t be enough hp to notice a difference. Normally you would add a bigger intake to go along with a bigger throttle body.

No. I would assume your true mission is to fix your “blah” problem. If it was already cleaned then your issue could possibly lie somewhere else. It might be an injector, spark plug, coil, fuel pump might be good but might have a small crack in the fuel line. Your battery could be weak. Mass Air Flow sensor could be dirty.

Most of the time a rough idle means spark plug or coil pack.

I’m assuming you run 93 octane instead of 87.

If I was you I would start with spark plugs. It ain’t the throttle body in my opinion.

Check the battery under a load and then check them plugs.
Car Nation Videos is offline   Reply With Quote