Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Talking Good Rocker Arms?

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with the Comp. Cams Ultra Pro Magnum™ Roller Rockers
Part: 1678-16?

I have upgraded my rocker arm trunnions to Straub already but, looking for a better rocker. At $375.00 they would seem to be a great deal and are rated at 850lb open spring pressure.

Just wanted to see every ones thoughts and preferences for rockers, Thanks.

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
We only use O.E. rockers on LS engines here or our trunion upgraded ones. Any time we have used a non o.e. rocker on a L.S. they rev less and are down on power. We back the cycle life on the o.e. unit down to 40-50K with the increased spring pressures.
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
ABADZL1
ZL1 Pilot

Drives: 2013 ZL1
This is my preference. I don't care much for comp valve train parts

GP Tuning 2.5 Cam, RPS Carbon Twin Clutch, Ported Blower, Kook's Headers, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ID850's, 9.17 Lower, 2.5 Upper, JMS BAP, Pedders Front Radius Arm Inserts, Whiteline Subframe Inserts, Tuned by me with HP Tuners
Idle Clip Link...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTL8S9eHwbs
ABADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
gmorris

Drives: 2015 ZL1, Red Hot A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports View Post
We only use O.E. rockers on LS engines here or our trunion upgraded ones. Any time we have used a non o.e. rocker on a L.S. they rev less and are down on power. We back the cycle life on the o.e. unit down to 40-50K with the increased spring pressures.
I agree with low lift but once you go over .630" or so aren't you seeing issues with side loading? I took the valve guides out in 15k miles with .650 lift in my 418.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #5
AJensen383

Drives: 2014-ZL1-M6-CRT, 68 camaro SS 496
Im not sure why you would upgrade to an aftermarket rocker when you already have the trunion upgrade?..Unless you are turning the wick way up with a solid roller and high spring pressure, shouldnt the stock rockers with the upgrade be sufficient?

With that being said. Ive used comp rockers on SBC/BBC stuff and never had any problems...Crane i an OEM manufacturer of rocker arms, so i would say if going aftermarket, look at Crane Cams arms, if they make them for LS stuff.
2014- Crystal Red-ZL1 #1601, M6, Recaro, sunroof, Nav-stock-SOLD
1968 Camaro SS Clone- 496 BBC, Legend 5speed, 12 bolt
1970 Nova SS- 383 SBC 588hp, 200-4r, 12 bolt

AJensen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
T&D rockers are used in the COPO LS7...must mean something!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have experience with the Comp. Cams Ultra Pro Magnum™ Roller Rockers
Part: 1678-16?

I have upgraded my rocker arm trunnions to Straub already but, looking for a better rocker. At $375.00 they would seem to be a great deal and are rated at 850lb open spring pressure.

Just wanted to see every ones thoughts and preferences for rockers, Thanks.

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=
What cam do you have?

The bronze bushing trunion upgrade is plenty for stock to mild cams. Like mentioned before... lift will drive valve train parts choices.

The beauty of the stock rocker is low tip weight. The horror is the needle bearings and pot metal tin holding them in. If your lift is reasonable...bronze bushings...done.

Those T&Ds are sweet. And I too love it when someone else spends their millions in R&D to find what works....thanks team COPO. I asked one of the engineers once at a trade show what lifters were in the COPO motor... Johnson, part #*******. Said those were the only ones that made it through validation. Thanks for the free R&D.

I can't afford a spintron machine with high speed camera $$$$$$$$$$, but I sure know how to ask those who do. Katech is another good one to keep an eye on for what parts to use. They do all that endurance racing stuff and have the high dollar test equipment.

There are plenty of parts that might work... then there are packages that have been tested to death to find what really has valve train stability. That uber high speed camera pointed at the valve seat don't lie.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:15 AM   #8
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Wink Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports View Post
Thank You!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
What cam do you have?

The bronze bushing trunion upgrade is plenty for stock to mild cams. Like mentioned before... lift will drive valve train parts choices.

The beauty of the stock rocker is low tip weight. The horror is the needle bearings and pot metal tin holding them in. If your lift is reasonable...bronze bushings...done.

Those T&Ds are sweet. And I too love it when someone else spends their millions in R&D to find what works....thanks team COPO. I asked one of the engineers once at a trade show what lifters were in the COPO motor... Johnson, part #*******. Said those were the only ones that made it through validation. Thanks for the free R&D.

I can't afford a spintron machine with high speed camera $$$$$$$$$$, but I sure know how to ask those who do. Katech is another good one to keep an eye on for what parts to use. They do all that endurance racing stuff and have the high dollar test equipment.

There are plenty of parts that might work... then there are packages that have been tested to death to find what really has valve train stability. That uber high speed camera pointed at the valve seat don't lie.

Thank you everyone for the feed back. I looked up the CHE bushing kit, wish I would have come a crossed it first.

I am making 780rwhp approx. 900hp at the crank.My parts list is in my photo albums.

I was wondering if there was anything better. Glad to see I am on the right track.

Comp Cams came out with a new upgraded stock LS rocker at the 2016 sema show. Looks like what everyone was saying about stock rockers being great in engine build ups. If you can't beat them join them....

Part Number 1978-16... $500 with needle bearings and $600 with a thin solid bushing. Will consider them when I hit 50,000 miles, would be nice if I could use with a CHE bushing kit. (I asked CHE but they have not tried them, Yet)
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 AM   #9
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Question Lifters?

Quote:
What cam do you have?

I designed my cam, but the closest would be a BTR stage 2, I would really like to know the part number for the lifters!!
I was thinking of these Johnson P/N: ST2126LSR or ISKY P/N: 2078HYRT.

Right now I am running stock lifters, I have not pulled my heads... (Yet) But when I do, I want to be ready.

Last edited by Vicster; 03-07-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #10
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABADZL1 View Post
This is my preference. I don't care much for comp valve train parts

Ditto for me. Stock rockers, C.H.E. trunnions. Getting ready to update my springs and new o.e. Rockers with the C.H.Es...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #11
Russell James

Does anyone know... if you have stock LS3 rockers with the Comp Cam trunion upgrade kit... can those same rockers be converted to the CHE bushing trunion kit? Or would it be better to start with new OE's and do the CHE to those?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #12
ABADZL1
ZL1 Pilot

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Yes. The CHE version is machined. Then bushings pressed in. Then they go through a magnetic particle inspection for cracks and defects in the metal.

GP Tuning 2.5 Cam, RPS Carbon Twin Clutch, Ported Blower, Kook's Headers, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ID850's, 9.17 Lower, 2.5 Upper, JMS BAP, Pedders Front Radius Arm Inserts, Whiteline Subframe Inserts, Tuned by me with HP Tuners
Idle Clip Link...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTL8S9eHwbs
ABADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #13
Russell James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
I designed my cam, but the closest would be a BTR stage 2, I would really like to know the part number for the lifters!!
I was thinking of these Johnson P/N: ST2126LSR or ISKY P/N: 2078HYRT.

Right now I am running stock lifters, I have not pulled my heads... (Yet) But when I do, I want to be ready.
Those Johnsons you list would be great. They show the 2110s as the COPO lifters. But the COPOs use a variety of diff blocks, so the retainer style will vary - dogbone, trays, tie bar... For a non LSX block, I'd bet the tie bar/axle oiling versions they have would be great. Short or reg travel, race vs street.... Johnson tech would prob best answer.

I know for a race car, they steered me toward... short travel, tie bar, axle oiling, race.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #14
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Wink Lifters

Quote:
Those Johnsons you list would be great. They show the 2110s as the COPO lifters. But the COPOs use a variety of diff blocks, so the retainer style will vary - dogbone, trays, tie bar... For a non LSX block, I'd bet the tie bar/axle oiling versions they have would be great. Short or reg travel, race vs street.... Johnson tech would prob best answer.

I know for a race car, they steered me toward... short travel, tie bar, axle oiling, race.
Thanks, I will look into the 2110's as well. But I favor the short travel, tie bar, axle oiling, race.