Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
giant_g2

Drives: '13 1LE, '89 Caprice
Highly oxigenated fuel

Anybody use highly oxigenated race fuel, like EXO2? Can the 1LE fuel system handle the increased fuel flow required without going lean? I'm guessing the pump is fine since it's from the ZL1, but I wonder how the injectors would handle it. I think it requires an extra 5% of fuel due to the oxygenation. I'm just wondering in case I do a track day and want/need to fill up with race gas. I'd also be interested to see dyno comparisons with street gas. They say it can increase power by 3%.
giant_g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
1Slow6.2

Drives: 2013 1LE camaro
Highly oxigenated fuel

I'll be the one to break your heart and not really give you the answer you want to hear. If you're not tuned on race fuel.. You are pissing away your dollars in the tank. Based on premium (street gas) should be high enough octane to compete in any track day. Sure the higher the octane will help with "pinging" or "detonation" if you're having any of those issues I would look into the fuel you're filling up with per say. But you won't see any extra benefits of filling up with race fuel w/o being tuned on it. Ie adding timing to the calibration to be more aggressive with said fuel( race gas)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1Slow6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
The 1LE's also have the ZL1 injectors I believe
Old 03-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
b20

Drives: 2013 1LE RS 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Slow6.2 View Post
I'll be the one to break your heart and not really give you the answer you want to hear. If you're not tuned on race fuel.. You are pissing away your dollars in the tank. Based on premium (street gas) should be high enough octane to compete in any track day. Sure the higher the octane will help with "pinging" or "detonation" if you're having any of those issues I would look into the fuel you're filling up with per say. But you won't see any extra benefits of filling up with race fuel w/o being tuned on it. Ie adding timing to the calibration to be more aggressive with said fuel( race gas)

I tested this on the dyno last year my car lost power on race gas until we tuned for it
lost 15whp on 110 oct. tuned we got it all back plus 3 whp
I say not worth the money
b20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #5
giant_g2

Quote:
Based on premium (street gas) should be high enough octane to compete in any track day.
I know the higher octane won't help me, but with more oxygen in the gas (10% by weight) it'll burn more gas. It's supposed to act as a very weak supercharger or turbocharger allowing you to burn more gas per cylinder, adding 10-20 hp. Now that's just what I've heard and read in a lot of places and I completely understand that anything over 93 octane won't help me.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
giant_g2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20 View Post
I tested this on the dyno last year my car lost power on race gas until we tuned for it
lost 15whp on 110 oct. tuned we got it all back plus 3 whp
I say not worth the money
That's interesting. Do you have any idea of what caused it? Was it running lean and the standard tune wasn't spraying more gas?
Old 03-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #7
giant_g2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
The 1LE's also have the ZL1 injectors I believe
I wonder if the factory tune can use them to correct the air/fuel with 10% oxygenated gas.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #8
1Slow6.2

Drives: 2013 1LE camaro
The factory tune is only as good as its from the factory. It won't pick up that you're using anything over 93 or 91 whatever is a available in your area (premium) whatever fuel you use its only to go run on that. Just cause it has ZL1 injectors doesn't mean anything. The duty cycle are already predetermined based on the factory tune. Unless you are going to TUNE( efi live, hp tuners, etc...) to change the duty cycle and how much fuel is being injected to the Cylinders at given points once again still a waste of money

1Slow6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #9
giant_g2

Quote:
The duty cycle are already predetermined based on the factory tune. Unless you are going to TUNE( efi live, hp tuners, etc...) to change the duty cycle and how much fuel is being injected to the Cylinders at given points once again still a waste of money
Ok, so it sounds like the factory tune isn't smart enough to see the O2 sensors reading that lean and increase the injector output by 5%. That's what I needed to know.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
b20

Drives: 2013 1LE RS 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant_g2 View Post
That's interesting. Do you have any idea of what caused it? Was it running lean and the standard tune wasn't spraying more gas?
it was mostly timing
a/f was lean but timing made all the power
b20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #11
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant_g2 View Post
Ok, so it sounds like the factory tune isn't smart enough to see the O2 sensors reading that lean and increase the injector output by 5%. That's what I needed to know.
Correct but the o2 sensors are smart enough to throw a CEL.

Like a few have said, race gas is useless for performance gains on a factory tune. BUT if you get bad gas and you datalog and are reading knock retard, using race gas can cure KR readings. It can hurt and it also can help. Just depends on your situation.