Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #29
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor1 View Post
Junkman,
I apppreciate your input and passion. I have a question about sealants. If they should not be applied to new paints then why do all the dealers try to sell you on the paint protection right away that use sealants? Thanks.
Because the paint on a car coming off the assembly line has been baked in hell fire temperatures and has pretty much been cured. Most paint shops do not have that type of baking ability or the facilities that can do that. Last of all, that protection that the dealerships sell is the biggest joke of a racket there is. What they sell you is nothing more than the same stuff a professional polish and wax company makes and it usually cost less than $35 a bottle, sometimes much cheaper. That same bottle will do your car a whole bunch of times. That "protection" scam they run is pretty pure profit for the salesman and is his last way of bending you over before you leave. Then he goes back into the employee break room and crack up about how they just suckered someone else.

Never fall for that scam, or the undercarriage/interior treatment scam either. All three are a rip offs and the small print in the agreement you buy is geared so that when something happens to your paint, you've already unknowing voided your contract. If you had read the contract before you bought the protection, you would have not spent a dime if you actually understood what you've just read.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #30
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
Junkman,

I'm a proud user of Adam's Polishes and thank you for the informative videos. I purchased the essential kit and used the clay bar, shr, and the buttery wax. I had no experience with orbital polishers so I ordered products I knew I could use by hand. I want to purchase the kit with the pc 7424xp which includes the machine wax.

My question is: since the machine wax is a sealer, would you recommend still applying buttery wax on top of it. Other manufactures sell packages with sealers and still reccommend applying wax over it for more "depth" and "protection." And if you do reccommend it, the next time I use the machine wax would I have to other prep work or stripping like using SHR and fine machine polish? I also chose the buttery wax because I can apply it to my vinyl stripes and it protects them (Adam reccomended the buttery wax). I know I can't polish the stripes, but I would like to eliminate the fine scratches on my rally yellow paint.

Thanks for you time and any advice is appreciated.

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #31
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Hey Eddie, any sealant is going to be way more protection that any wax. Adam's Super Machine Wax is the longest lasting product they make. If that is what you use, then only use that. I always advise against layering waxes because people will do it wrong and cloud up their shine. The products are engineered to work by themselves and I like to keep things simple and do it that way. Layering waxes is more of an art than a procedure and it takes practice and experience. If you buy a sealant that recommends that you add wax on top of it, then I would question the ability of that product as a sealant. Remember, wax doesn't make paint shine, polishing does. Wax is a protectant, not a shine enhancer.

As for your second question, you must have a understanding of what each product does in order to answer your own question. Swirl & Haze Remover (SHR) and the orange pad are for removing scratches, haze and swirls. Once you have done that to your entire car, you should never have to get that abrasive with your paint again unless you are:
  • Washing the car incorrectly.
  • Using a waterless washing product or quick detailing product incorrectly.
  • Constantly covering the car with a car cover while it is dusty/dirty.
  • Using cheap towels to wipe on the car.

All these things introduce swirls and scratches into your paint. If you avoid them, then you will never have to get as aggressive as using SHR with your paint again. The only thing you should have to do is an occasional touch up using Fine Machine Polish (FMP) and the white pad.

The only prep work you do before applying more wax down the road should be a proper wash and/or claying if necessary. Claying will strip EVERYTHING off the paint. If your paint does not need to be clayed, then a proper wash and possibly some touching up with FMP is all you need to do. If you want to strip all the wax off the car, wash the car using some Dawn dish washing liquid. That will strip it down real good. I never strip mine down because over time, washing the car as much as I do slowly removes the wax on it. Plus, I always use the same brand of wax so there is no need if your wax was previously applied correctly.

Keep in mind that my car is not a daily driver so it doesn't get exposed to the abuse a daily driver does (nasty weather, people rubbing up against it in parking lots, etc...). Thus, maintaining it is a lot easier than maintaining a daily driver.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #32
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
Thanks for answering my questions. I'm gonna go ahead and order the kit. Good looking Vette by the way.

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #33
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Thanks. I hope to have it at Camaro5 Fest this year for some track time!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #34
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Remember, wax doesn't make paint shine, polishing does. Wax is a protectant, not a shine enhancer.
Hey Junk,

If thats the case then why does Adam's advertise a head-turning shine with their wax?

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-423-a...paste-wax.aspx

Quote:
Layering waxes is more of an art than a procedure and it takes practice and experience.
When is that video series coming out???

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #35
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Junkman, I'm basically going to treat my black camaro the same way you treat your corvette. Probably never drive it in the rain and drive it to work once and a while and on evenings and weekends when the weather is nice.

SO after I correct with the clay bar, SHR with the orange pad and then with the FMP and white pad. What would you do to maintain that finish?

I was thinking I will probably wash it once a week even if it just has light dust on it. Would you then wipe it down with the waterless wash? And then every once in a while like once a month or once every two months give the car a quick dance with the PC, white pad and FMP?

Keep in mind there is No time frame for me, I don't mind and am actually looking forward to spending hours maintaining and cleaning my car.

Thanks!!
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #36
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Hey Junk,

If thats the case then why does Adam's advertise a head-turning shine with their wax?
I personally think that it is advertising. A lot of people think that wax makes the paint shine. There are "polishing waxes" on the market that fit that billing, but I don't know if Americana is one of them. After all, the blend is secret (as the promo states) and I don't have access to that information. I however, have never applied wax to my paint and saw any difference in the shine because my paint was already shiny to begin with (after polishing). Maybe if there was some kind of "shine-o-meter" that I could utilize, it would prove or disprove my claim. Since I don't know what is actually in the Americana product, I would have to take Adam's word on what it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich dude View Post
Junkman, I'm basically going to treat my black camaro the same way you treat your corvette. Probably never drive it in the rain and drive it to work once and a while and on evenings and weekends when the weather is nice.

SO after I correct with the clay bar, SHR with the orange pad and then with the FMP and white pad. What would you do to maintain that finish?

I was thinking I will probably wash it once a week even if it just has light dust on it. Would you then wipe it down with the waterless wash? And then every once in a while like once a month or once every two months give the car a quick dance with the PC, white pad and FMP?

Keep in mind there is No time frame for me, I don't mind and am actually looking forward to spending hours maintaining and cleaning my car.

Thanks!!
Once you get the paint corrected, you would maintain it by doing as many washes as you like as long as they are the 2-bucket, two mitt washes. I always dry my car with an electric leaf blower because the less you touch the paint, the less opportunity there is for you to scratch it. You can use a microfiber towel and detail spray for the drying process but like I said, I use a leaf blower. You would inspect the car after every wash for micro-scratches that may appear and address them with FMP and the white pad. At that point, use the wax of your choice if necessary (Adam's has 3 to choose from), and you're good to go.

The main thing to do to avoid creating scratches is to wash the car properly and never rub on the paint while the car is dirty. Anything that comes into contact with the paint while ANY amount of dust is on it is bad for the paint. You don't want people touching it, wiping it, leaning on it or anything that will grind that dirt into the finish.

It doesn't take much at all to scratch up the paint and if people think that you are being unrealistic about how you care for the paint, then you're doing it right.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #37
the rich dude

Is a wax needed after FMP? I thought since it is a sealant a wax wasn't needed?

Also in your vid you say you use a ton of waterless wash product. When and why do you use it since I know your a fan of the 2 bucket wash.

Thanks again
Old 01-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #38
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Is a wax needed after FMP? I thought since it is a sealant a wax wasn't needed?

Also in your vid you say you use a ton of waterless wash product. When and why do you use it since I know your a fan of the 2 bucket wash.

Thanks again
FMP is a POLISH only. There are absolutely no wax protecting properties in it whatsoever. You always follow FMP with wax.

When I use the Waterless Wash, I do use a lot of it (almost everyday during the summer because my car is sitting in the garage, not outside and sometimes I don't cover it). I probably use more than most folks because I get it by the gallon. Thus, I'm not trying to make it last, I use it liberally. The only time I use it is when there is light surface dust on the car. Just like you saw in my videos, I remove the major dust with the California Duster and take care of what is left with the Waterless Wash. The dust cannot be matted to the car or I will wash the car instead.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 01-12-2010 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #39
the rich dude

Quote:
FMP is a POLISH only. There are absolutely now wax protecting properties in it whatsoever. You always follow FMP with wax.

When I use the Waterless Wash, I do use a lot of it (almost everyday during the summer because my car is sitting in the garage, not outside and sometimes I don't cover it). I probably use more than most folks because I get it by the gallon. Thus, I'm not trying to make it last, I use it liberally. The only time I use it is when there is light surface dust on the car. Just like you saw in my videos, I remove the major dust with the California Duster and take care of what is left with the Waterless Wash. The dust cannot be matted to the car or I will wash the car instead.
Ahhhh. I see

Its the Machine SuperWax thats a Sealant, correct?

SO what is your wax of choice after FMP'ing your car? Again, time and money are NOT a consideration for me when it comes to taking care of my black camaro when I get it Is the Americana Premium Paste Wax a better way to go or do you just stick with the Superwax because of its ease of use?

Last edited by the rich dude; 01-12-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:47 AM   #40
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Ahhhh. I see

Its the Machine SuperWax thats a Sealant, correct?

SO what is your wax of choice after FMP'ing your car? Again, time and money are NOT a consideration for me when it comes to taking care of my black camaro when I get it Is the Americana Premium Paste Wax a better way to go or do you just stick with the Superwax because of its ease of use?
Yes, the Machine Superwax (MSW) is more of a sealant. I use the Americana carnuba paste. It doesn't last quite as long as as MSW, but the two product differ slightly in what they do. If your finish is absolutely perfect (as a new car should be), the Americana would be the route I would go because the only thing it does is protect. I don't know about added bling factor because by the time I get to the waxing process, my paint is already at maximum bling. If your finish has some very minor flaws in it (tiny scratches that don't seem to come out), then I would go with MSW because it has the ability to minimize minor flaws, sometimes making them appear to disappear. That is one of the main differences between the two, besides the Americana being a carnuba paste wax.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #41
Onereign
Detailing Addict

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 CGM
I used my new PC7424 this past weekend for the first time and loved it! Junkman, what is the best way to clean/care for the lake country waffle pads?
Onereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #42
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onereign View Post
I used my new PC7424 this past weekend for the first time and loved it! Junkman, what is the best way to clean/care for the lake country waffle pads?
I use the Pad Washer from Grit Guard. It allows me to quickly wash my pads so that they are clean and ready to go every time I hit the garage.