Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida

Old 01-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Are there any FL LEO's here or anyone knowing FL citation laws

I received a ticket yesterday for tinted taillights. As good as they look I am going to remove them, I think keeping them on is just asking for trouble. Plus people have brought up some good points about taillight visibility, so I’ve chosen to go the responsible route.

My question is, is this a “fix it” citation, I’m assuming it is? When I remove it (later today or tomorrow) how can I go about proving it was removed and having the citation dismissed?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Member Brantley847 is in your area and is an LEO as well. He could help i'm sure.

In Michigan if you get one it is a R&R ticket. Repair and report. All i had to do was remove ans go to the local police station and physically show them it was "repaired" and they took the ticket and it was gone.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Member Brantley847 is in your area and is an LEO as well. He could help i'm sure.
Thanks!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post

In Michigan if you get one it is a R&R ticket. Repair and report. All i had to do was remove ans go to the local police station and physically show them it was "repaired" and they took the ticket and it was gone.
The Sgt that wrote me the ticket said I'd have to prove its removed and have to go to court to have it dismissed. Want to make sure I do it right.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
tonytahoe

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS
Should not be considered a "Moving Violation" in Florida.A Florida State Trooper gave me an 'equipment violation'ticket years ago for having "clear taillights"on my Silverado pickup.She said she could not see the Red from the bulbs.I changed out the bulbs for red led's.--If you can see RED thru the covers,it should not be a problem.
tonytahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
It is a visability issue....if the tail lights & brake lights/turn signals are visable at the distances FL statutes specify, both day & night, then it is not a violation. That said, most covers are reducing it enough for it to be illegal. We use a special translucent paint and swap to high intensity LED bulbs so they meet/exceed the stautes. Now, a LEO using just their own observation can ticket you for anything and the burden is on you to prove otherwise and in their defense I see the vast majority are illegal so I assume they just lump them all in as illegal. Same with the clear ones....if there are red &/or amber as required by law then it is not a violation either.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Tyler@ExtremePerformance

Drives: 2007 Trailblazer SS
The reason for this is due to the reflectors in the lenses are not visible anymore. We have dealt with this constantly
Tyler@ExtremePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
What statute were you written under? (The number listed on the bottom right below the narrative section)

No. You cannot get a fix it ticket dismissed in Florida without going to court and actually 'fighting' it in court. A fix-it ticket simply lowers the fine amount.

Orange County has revamped their fine schedule, and it is bogus. I have completely stopped writing many violations unless they are blatant and reckless now because of how high the fines are...long story short. It isn't worth it to you to remove them for the sole purpose to have your citation dismissed. Your citation will drop from 116 to 100 dollars... and you have to go to a PD to have them sign off on the citation, THEN go to court anyways.

What I think the Sgt was saying was "get it removed and take it to court, I probably won't be there"... I cannot promise that, however, lol....like I stated there will not be an option to just have it dismissed

I know that is clear as mug, but I am in a hurry to family dinner... If you have any other questions, I will try to address this thread again tonight.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
What statute were you written under? (The number listed on the bottom right below the narrative section)

No. You cannot get a fix it ticket dismissed in Florida without going to court and actually 'fighting' it in court. A fix-it ticket simply lowers the fine amount.

Orange County has revamped their fine schedule, and it is bogus. I have completely stopped writing many violations unless they are blatant and reckless now because of how high the fines are...long story short. It isn't worth it to you to remove them for the sole purpose to have your citation dismissed. Your citation will drop from 116 to 100 dollars... and you have to go to a PD to have them sign off on the citation, THEN go to court anyways.

What I think the Sgt was saying was "get it removed and take it to court, I probably won't be there"... I cannot promise that, however, lol....like I stated there will not be an option to just have it dismissed

I know that is clear as mug, but I am in a hurry to family dinner... If you have any other questions, I will try to address this thread again tonight.
Thanks for the info. The Statute is 316.214(1) & the ticket is $114, not $116 (not sure of that has any relevance). I'm assuming this in not a moving violation?
Any suggestions on how I should handle this? I'm not overly worried about the $ as much as I am worried about my driving record (but I'm assuming this is non moving ticket) and future issues.

Last edited by nyrfan; 01-01-2012 at 05:41 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
brantley847
v It bites.

114 is correct, my fault

Unfortunately, he did not write you for a fix-it ticket then. If it was OPD..they don't do much traffic, so I imagine he just made a mistake. Anyway, 316.610 is the faulty or defective equipment. He wrote you for some form of illegal tail lamps then.. It is non-moving, no points.

It will, however, stay on your record for all of law enforcement to see and if they ask if you received a ticket in the 'x' years, the answer is still yes... but it won't show up for insurance companies, won't lose safe driver status, and as long as it is complied within 30 days it cannot suspend your license.

You only have two options then. Pay it or take it to court. You have a 50/50 shot of a win in court. However, if you lose you will pay an additional 50 dollars approximately in court fees. There is always the chance the ofc does not show up... I just know court is a pain in the ass to deal with. Either way, you won't get slapped with any points.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
ya boy willz

Drives: 2011 IOM LS, 2011 CGM LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Thanks for the info. The Statute is 316.214(1) & the ticket is $114, not $116 (not sure of that has any relevance). I'm assuming this in not a moving violation?
Any suggestions on how I should handle this? I'm not overly worried about the $ as much as I am worried about my driving record (but I'm assuming this is non moving ticket) and future issues.
Same thing happened to me with my Eclipse....I'm going to take a wild guess and say it was a FHP that gave you the ticket?

Don't waste your time fixing it. I did that and my ticket dropped a whole whopping $10 . What I did was take the tint off, head on over to Oviedo's Police department and had an officer write it off that I fixed the "problem." I then went to the Seminole County Clerk of Courts in Sanford and handed the lady the ticket and the slip (or w/e I received at Oviedo after I got it checked off that I removed the taillights) and paid the ticket off.

I'd suggest just going to the closest clerk of courts and paying the ticket off. Don't waste your time going to the local department for a whole whopping $10-20 off. IIRC it shouldn't mess up you're driving record at all.

2011 CGM LS- Injen CAI, Vmax Ported TB, Vmax Black Ice O'Lator, Carbon Fiber Bowties, Carbon Fiber Gills, Factory Spoiler, Stock SS Exhaust w/ Magnaflow x-pipe welded in & stock muffler delete, Miro 112 18x8.5 +35
ya boy willz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
Man I got to stop hanging with you guys, you just attract all the LEO's
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
It is a visability issue....if the tail lights & brake lights/turn signals are visable at the distances FL statutes specify, both day & night, then it is not a violation. That said, most covers are reducing it enough for it to be illegal. We use a special translucent paint and swap to high intensity LED bulbs so they meet/exceed the stautes. Now, a LEO using just their own observation can ticket you for anything and the burden is on you to prove otherwise and in their defense I see the vast majority are illegal so I assume they just lump them all in as illegal. Same with the clear ones....if there are red &/or amber as required by law then it is not a violation either.
say whhaaaaaaaaaaaat!? You have more info on this? I have been looking to paint my bezels black and go dark on the lenses.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
114 is correct, my fault

Unfortunately, he did not write you for a fix-it ticket then. If it was OPD..they don't do much traffic, so I imagine he just made a mistake. Anyway, 316.610 is the faulty or defective equipment. He wrote you for some form of illegal tail lamps then.. It is non-moving, no points.

It will, however, stay on your record for all of law enforcement to see and if they ask if you received a ticket in the 'x' years, the answer is still yes... but it won't show up for insurance companies, won't lose safe driver status, and as long as it is complied within 30 days it cannot suspend your license.

You only have two options then. Pay it or take it to court. You have a 50/50 shot of a win in court. However, if you lose you will pay an additional 50 dollars approximately in court fees. There is always the chance the ofc does not show up... I just know court is a pain in the ass to deal with. Either way, you won't get slapped with any points.
So other then future run-ins with LEO there is no impact to my license or insurance. What will another run-in with a LEO mean, most likely another ticket or more?

Also my impression from the Sgt is he would not show up to court. If I dispute the ticket and he does not show up, is it dismissed right there? Would I need to prove anything?